Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2021, 05:21 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Marshall Cassidy RIP

Sad news that Marshall Cassidy has passed away. One of the all time greats. RIP
Old 02-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

After Trevor Denman, he was my next favorite. Loved his no nonsense style.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 02-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Washington Park

Marshall was one of a kind. He was the first announcer I recall who found no need to continuously talk during a race. It was very unconventional at the time and still is. When he called the big races he was more conventional, but I remember thinking back then he was awful. As time went on I realized how good he really was. He was extremely accurate. After he moved on I realized I missed him very much. During his time, he became the voice of NYRA races.

I met him a few times and liked him quite a bit.

Luckily we have some of his calls on the internet and can always have him with us.

RIP Marshall.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:35 PM

I used to love it when a horse would be 10 in front and all Marshall would say is "it's Personal Ensign, in front." Or "Personal Ensign, has the lead". It could be frustrating a little if you didn't know his style cause you wouldn't know how it was unfolding. But if you knew his style, you'd know it was a handy win. I loved his calls of Eaaaaaasy Goer.......Jaaaaaava Gold........PERsonal Ensign.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 02-07-2021, 09:55 PM
Washington Park

Yes KG. It was so calm and matter of fact. He never used to get all wound up.

If you watch/listen to the big races he was more conventional and a very, very good announcer (as he always was)

I remember many races where he would call it to the 1/4th or 3/8th and then just say nothing to the finish line because he knew nothing was changing. A lot of these guys today are just motor mouths.

You will never see another like him.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:14 AM

Absolutely!!