Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Does he ever....

A very nice man and one of the "good guys" in the sport.
Curlin's owners are prepared to run him in the Belmont if he's fit/sound and ready to go. For that reason alone, I love them all...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
I wasn't dismissing it completely and I certainly didn't say that. I was putting Assmusen aside to speak to the larger issue of the connections which the majority of the article spoke to. That's all.

Eric
I know, I was just venting...

I did not try or mean to throw you under a bus...

Sorry...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Randwyck

No apologies neccessary. I completely understand.

Eric
Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
All of what you said is very true and well worded.

However I would say that a similar senario to what will occur and has been going on is getting together all the prisoners in jail, asking them to write new laws since they are so familar with the ones they broke, and then releasing them because they know best how to operate under the new rules since they wrote them.

When it comes down to it, money and greed will bring down the house of cards that the bloodstock business has become.

The "integrity" issue will always be a thorn in the side of the business of horse racing. It is hard for many people, myself included, to understand how you can call for integrity in one aspect of the business but employ a trainer that has had many problems with it. I understand that he is not in a popularity contest or running for office, but the sight of Jackson and Assmussen sitting together at the Keeneland sale while the former was taking his pleas to the KY legislature and the latter was in the middle of the longest drug suspension of a major trainer in recent times, was ironic in the very least.

I undestand that Assmussen runs a huge operation and as such is apt to have more "mistakes" than others, but where do you draw the line? 22 is ALOT of mistakes.

There are some things about all of the owners(except Bolton)that are not public knowledge that are not endearing in the least. Not that other people in the game are all saints but when it comes right down to it, it IS a pretty hard group to feel any joy for.
Chuck, I very much appreciate and respect your opinion. With that in mind, I think the issue here is a very global one. I don't view this as the prisoners writing new laws. I don't see that happening at all. If we view Sanan and Jackson as the "prisoners" in that analogy, is it because they chose Assmusen as a trainer? Cot Campbell and Barry Irwin because they utilize Todd Pletcher? I understand your point, I really do, however, Sanan wasn't taking this much criticism when he was with Baffert -- and didn't Baffert have a somewhat controversial positive test? Frankel? Lukas? Unfortunately, this cannot be black and white.

As far as the bloodstock business, in my opinion, this is where the inmates might be running the facility, or at least having a major say in what's going on. I might not have the intensity you do when we are talking about a trainer, but I might have the same intensity if we were talking about an owner. Thus, I can certainly understand your point.

Feeling joy is one thing -- but putting up your money is something else. Many people have skeletons in their closets. A man like Jackson or Sanan, just due to their stature, operations, business activities, etc., they are bound to be the subject of scrutiny.

Anyway, I think when it comes to rooting or feeling joy, it is going to be a case of to each their own. However, when it comes to the efforts of trying -- success or not -- to bring integrity to any aspect of the game; regardless of the person's choice of trainers, we need to look at the efforts. Are they sincere? Maybe this is just the beginning. I think a great deal remains to be seen.

Thanks for the comments. It allows me to look at things from a different perspective. That gives all of us a more well rounded and in-depth opinion and knowledge.

Eric
Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootdog1
I can tell you the two lawyers who are the original owners are not good people, and will most likely be watching future races from behind bars.
With their money they'll probably get HRTV in their prison cells.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
Chuck, I very much appreciate and respect your opinion. With that in mind, I think the issue here is a very global one. I don't view this as the prisoners writing new laws. I don't see that happening at all. If we view Sanan and Jackson as the "prisoners" in that analogy, is it because they chose Assmusen as a trainer? Cot Campbell and Barry Irwin because they utilize Todd Pletcher? I understand your point, I really do, however, Sanan wasn't taking this much criticism when he was with Baffert -- and didn't Baffert have a somewhat controversial positive test? Frankel? Lukas? Unfortunately, this cannot be black and white.

As far as the bloodstock business, in my opinion, this is where the inmates might be running the facility, or at least having a major say in what's going on. I might not have the intensity you do when we are talking about a trainer, but I might have the same intensity if we were talking about an owner. Thus, I can certainly understand your point.

Feeling joy is one thing -- but putting up your money is something else. Many people have skeletons in their closets. A man like Jackson or Sanan, just due to their stature, operations, business activities, etc., they are bound to be the subject of scrutiny.

Anyway, I think when it comes to rooting or feeling joy, it is going to be a case of to each their own. However, when it comes to the efforts of trying -- success or not -- to bring integrity to any aspect of the game; regardless of the person's choice of trainers, we need to look at the efforts. Are they sincere? Maybe this is just the beginning. I think a great deal remains to be seen.

Thanks for the comments. It allows me to look at things from a different perspective. That gives all of us a more well rounded and in-depth opinion and knowledge.

Eric
Eric
Great post. I might just clarify that I was not referring to Jackson and Sanan individually as the prisoners who wrote the laws but the people who these new rules were intended for who have found themselves on many of the committes and task forces that have been formed. There is no doubt that they were ripped off. There is no doubt that they have tried to do something positive. But a lot of the people in the room with them are foxes in the henhouses.
CS
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by todko
With their money they'll probably get HRTV in their prison cells.
Martha went to Camp Cupcake. What'll they call the place they send these two? Camp Mint Julep?