Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Pimlico

Location: Stuart, Florida - 100 miles north of Miami and on the Atlantic coast (12 miles east of Payson Park )
Thumbs up Belmont - First Race today (5-11)

#6 - "Truer Than True"

Watch this filly - she can run a little.

Actually, I'm just checking out the link to the photo.

Nobility without conceit, friendship without envy, beauty without vanity, a willing servant, yet no slave - my horses
Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Jerome Park

I assume the horse you are touting is Now More Than Ever, Truer Than True is another Kimmel horse, and she is WAY out of her league today.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Havre de Grace

Calla Lily should win this thing pretty easily at nothing-to-five.

NT
Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Jerome Park

I'm not convinced of that. She may be better than these, and certainly she has kept MUCH better company, but her last was poor. Plus, there isn't much pace in this race.

Probably not betting against her either.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Havre de Grace

I'm starting to think that a fresh Rewrite with that cozy inside draw could get right to the lead in the 1 3/4 turn race. I'm curious because, like you, put more than some faith in Beyer Figures and Calla Lily is coming off a lifetime top. Why would you say that was a poor race?

NT
Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Jerome Park

It was a poor effort. I don't like Beyer figs in turf races and that one is way too high. Take a look at how the third finisher did at odds on at Belmont last week.

It was a better field than this however but Calla Lily ran very poorly.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Benevolus

The Kimmel horse to watch (and bet heavily on, if that is your thing) is a horse that was scratched yesterday. Keep an eye out for Dr. Franklin. Ran a huge race in his first at Gulfstream and Kent D. blew the ride.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Jerome Park

That horse is running today.

He was probably best last time, and galloped out strongly, but it wasn't much of a field. He's one of the favorites today, and can win, but he's a bit of a trap.

I would wonder why he hasn't raced since then and why he is still running for a tag. He's not much and probably has issues.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind

He was probably best last time, and galloped out strongly, but it wasn't much of a field. He's one of the favorites today, and can win, but he's a bit of a trap.

I would wonder why he hasn't raced since then and why he is still running for a tag. He's not much and probably has issues.

AND, Kent D. is aboard again!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Pimlico

Location: Stuart, Florida - 100 miles north of Miami and on the Atlantic coast (12 miles east of Payson Park )

Quote:
I assume the horse you are touting is Now More Than Ever, Truer Than True is another Kimmel horse, and she is WAY out of her league today.
"Truer Than True" - Doesn't even REMOTELY SOUND like "Now More Than Ever"... but how come I could live to be 100 and STILL get the names mixed up. YES of course I meant "Now More Than Ever".. (Sorry but we lost "Truer Than True" in a claim a few months ago - he's gone way downhill since)

Not to worry though... I know it ain't saying' much, but "Now More Than Ever" should at least beat half the fillies way out of her league. LOL

45 minutes to post... we'll see what happens.

Nobility without conceit, friendship without envy, beauty without vanity, a willing servant, yet no slave - my horses
Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Benevolus

Quote:

I just realize my post sounded like watch out for in the future and not today. Sorry about that. It is the 4th at Belmont today.

You make some good points and maybe I will cut back on the bet ($20 across the board is a big bet for me) but probably not. I lost money on him the first time and I have the problem of repeatedly betting horses I lose money on. Not a smart gambler, but it is a tough habit to break.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolus
I just realize my post sounded like watch out for in the future and not today. Sorry about that. It is the 4th at Belmont today.

You make some good points and maybe I will cut back on the bet ($20 across the board is a big bet for me) but probably not. I lost money on him the first time and I have the problem of repeatedly betting horses I lose money on. Not a smart gambler, but it is a tough habit to break.

Good luck, watching the replay he gave a good effort first time out.. although I didn't think Kent D. cost him the race (as much as I like to blame him for a horse's poor effort )
Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Benevolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin

Good luck, watching the replay he gave a good effort first time out.. although I didn't think Kent D. cost him the race (as much as I like to blame him for a horse's poor effort )
At first I didn't think he gave a terrible ride, but I was standing 5 feet from him after he got off the horse and he was yelling at himself. I watched it again and he probably could have given a better ride. The horse was probably the best and he just wasn't lucky.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolus
At first I didn't think he gave a terrible ride, but I was standing 5 feet from him after he got off the horse and he was yelling at himself. I watched it again and he probably could have given a better ride. The horse was probably the best and he just wasn't lucky.
I'll watch it again. thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Win
"Truer Than True" - Doesn't even REMOTELY SOUND like "Now More Than Ever"... but how come I could live to be 100 and STILL get the names mixed up. YES of course I meant "Now More Than Ever".. (Sorry but we lost "Truer Than True" in a claim a few months ago - he's gone way downhill since)

Not to worry though... I know it ain't saying' much, but "Now More Than Ever" should at least beat half the fillies way out of her league. LOL

Truer than True was never much and had a brief couple of fair efforts before getting claimed. " Way downhill? " I don't think that was possible considering his overall form.

You are touting a horse and now saying you expect her to beat half of her six opponents? Thanks. She most likely won't.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Pimlico

Wink Dr. Franklin

"Issues" ??

Us "ground workers" are not privey to that information,, but some unconfirned sources speculate he'll breakdown. I ALWAYS think Kimmel knows what he's doing... (I hope). In any case,, Franklyn is always a tuff guy around the barn. Let's see what he's got out on the track today. He's alomst impossible to hold down. He's been climbing the walls ready to run. The groom and hotwalker say there's NO WAY he'll loose. They say he should win from here to the kitchen. All they have to do is get him loaded in the gate and he's a winner. I DO know one thing is FOR SURE... either he'll win, or he'll die TRYING. LOL

2 Hrs till post time, let's see what happens.

Quote:

Old 05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Jerome Park

Or he'll finish the race and lose.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Jerome Park

Most horses have issues by the way. Even those of us not on the inside know that.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Jerome Park

And, furthermore, who said anything about him breaking down? Besides you of course.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Win

She's got no shot.

I like the 2, assuming it doesn't come up too soft today. How does the turf look?