Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Pimlico

Default Andrew Bynum=No Championship

After watching Drew Bynum through 2 rounds of the playoffs so far, it very clear that he is about 20% of what he was before the Feb 5 knee blowout. Here's a stud that was a bordeline Allstar before the injury average 16 & 9. He used to dominate the paint with baby hooks, drop steps, dunks and had a great touch off the glass. It's so bad now, he won't even attempt to score the basketball. I'm not sure if I've seen him "powerdunk" since he came back. Maybe the Laker brass should be held accountable for rushing him back, but this once 21 year old stud now looks bored and scared running up and down the floor. If the Lake show, and that's a big IF, can survive this solid Rocket team, they won't put a dent in this Lebron James Movie. Kobe & Gasol will have homecourt againist the powder puffy no defense Nuggets, and can still get the job done. But moving forward, I'm now convinced that Bynum's in ability to contribute will hinder La from raising another banner in Staples. Laker brass should be very concerned about Drew's status for this playoff push and more importantly his future in the NBA. Hey Dr. Buss, how's that 41 million dollar contract look now? Yikeeess. The Lake Show will be making a pit stop very soon, straight for the beach.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Sha Tin

They have no guards. Bynum is just a luxury item anyway.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Coach Pants

Way to go out on a limb there predicting who will not win a championship.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Seconded.
Most importantly they have no PG.
And its wearing Kobe down.

If the Lakers win the Championship
with this team Kobe should will be declared
God.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Its not like you really need traditional guards to play in the triangle anyway especially when you have kobe playing swing. You need guys that play defense and spot up shooters. The lakers "guards" play those roles perfectly. Ariza is long and athletic and Fisher hits big shot after big shot.

I don't see how any team can match up with the lakers. They are just too big and skilled up front for cleveland and denver. If jameer nelson would have stayed healthy, The length of lewis, turkoglu and Howard would have made for some interesting matchups in a match vs. orlando. And we saw last year what Garnett and company could do on the defensive end against LA's bigs.

Offensively, do you really think Gasol, Bynum and odom will have any problem with the likes of Nene, martin or kleiza? Really? Do you think they will have a problem with the likes of illgauskas, wallace or any other big Cleveland will shuffle in? If so, watch the two games the lakers played against them this season.

I agree with the previous poster though. If Bynum is unproductive in the championship, Cleveland will have a chance.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Seconded.
Most importantly they have no PG.
And its wearing Kobe down.

If the Lakers win the Championship
with this team Kobe should will be declared
God.
When have they ever had a point guard since kobe has been there? An ancient gary payton is the closest they came and they diddnt win a title with him.

Again, you don't need a traditional Point guard in the triangle. Jackson's teams never have one.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Coach Pants

The Lakers will be rid of Odom after this year. I might disown them if they keep him.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
The Lakers will be rid of Odom after this year. I might disown them if they keep him.
They won't be able to afford him. Luxury tax will kill them if they do. Interesting to look at the cap situations for these teams.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9168
Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 PM
The Curragh

I don't understand why you guys think it would be so crazy if the Lakers won it all this year, as a fan im pretty confident that they will and they should have no problem doing so. The supporting cast Kobe has is 10 times better than that of Lebron and the Cavs. Give me Gasol and Odom over any of the players Lebron has.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:58 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Come on coach, we are both Lakers fans and this year I have actually been a big Odom fan, I love the way he has played.

On a side note, when is the last time that Sasha has hit a shot????? Everytime he shoots I am expecting a miss now.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Sha Tin

The Lakers guards are a problem. If you dont see that as a weakness I'm not sure what you are watching. Cleveland presents all kinds of matchup problems for the Lakers and they are a superior defensive team. If anyone wants to wager on the series please let me know.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
The Lakers guards are a problem. If you dont see that as a weakness I'm not sure what you are watching. Cleveland presents all kinds of matchup problems for the Lakers and they are a superior defensive team. If anyone wants to wager on the series please let me know.
Lets do it. 100 bucks?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Phil Jackson coached teams won several championships with Ron Harper and Brian Shaw as starting point guards. That alone tells anyone the importance of having a true point guard.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Havre de Grace

Mo Williams, Delonte West and any other quick guard the Cavs trot out there are going to have their way on the Lakers guards who are horrible defensively.

I think all in all there are more matchup problems for the Cavs in a Cavs-Lakers series but the Lakers guards will be a huge liability from a defensive standpoint.

Back to the original post, though, Andrew Bynum really needs to sit down because he's not healthy enough to be playing right now.

NT
Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Lets do it. 100 bucks?
Done
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Phil Jackson coached teams won several championships with Ron Harper and Brian Shaw as starting point guards. That alone tells anyone the importance of having a true point guard.
Ron Harper and Brian Shaw are a few notches up from what they are trotting out there now.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Ron Harper and Brian Shaw are a few notches up from what they are trotting out there now.
The point being that you don't need a traditional point guard. Neither one of them, especially Harper (still my second favorite NBA player ever) was a point guard. Same as you don't need a true center in that offense either. They won titles with Luc Longley.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Mo Williams, Delonte West and any other quick guard the Cavs trot out there are going to have their way on the Lakers guards who are horrible defensively.

I think all in all there are more matchup problems for the Cavs in a Cavs-Lakers series but the Lakers guards will be a huge liability from a defensive standpoint.

Back to the original post, though, Andrew Bynum really needs to sit down because he's not healthy enough to be playing right now.

NT
The Lakers have trouble with quick guards and Williams and Gibson will be trouble for them. Kobe will have to actually pay attention to West and not just rest up for the offensive end. West can matchup fairly well with Kobe on the other end with Lebron getting some time on him also. The funny hair guy and Wallace gives the cavs 12 fouls against the Lakers post players and both are role players that understand that they play defense and rebound. Joe Smith and Lebron are a good matchup defensively with Odom. The biggest matchup problem will be the Lakers guards against the Williams and Gibson. That will be a major issue for LA. If Williams and Gibson are hitting the open three, this will be a 5 game series. Cleveland has all of its roster at full strength, have depth, a tremendous home court advantage, players all playing at their ability level not playing out of thier minds ready to come back to earth, are well rested and they best overall player. Brown has very good substitution patterns right now, has delegated the offensive duties to assistants and has learned from his mistakes. I killed Danny Ferry a couple of years ago but he has really created a well rounded team around James with role players that play their roles well, depth and found the missing piece in getting Williams. He did a great job making this a team though having LBJ to build around certainly makes it easier.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
The point being that you don't need a traditional point guard. Neither one of them, especially Harper (still my second favorite NBA player ever) was a point guard. Same as you don't need a true center in that offense either. They won titles with Luc Longley.
True but both had a ball controlling star (Jordan and Kobe) which plays out fine on the offensive end. The other end of the court is an issue though.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
True but both had a ball controlling star (Jordan and Kobe) which plays out fine on the offensive end. The other end of the court is an issue though.
It might be. The problem will be that the Lakers don't have a superior talent advantage over the Cavs. Deron Williams killed them. Brooks is killing them now. Chris Paul kills them. Guys like Williams and Paul kill everyone though. In today's game, with the rules the way they are about touching guys, every team in the league has problems with quick point guards. Even the teams WITH quick point guards. Paul can't guard Williams and vice versa. So I don't think that the Lakers would be that much better with a better defensive guard. It wouldn't hurt of course but I don't know how much it would help. I think that what will help them is that fact that LeBron is a ball controlling star for Cleveland and not their point guards. I think that if they use a lineup that has Bryant and Ariza in the backcourt, that's their best lineup. Ariza has the athletic ability and length to stay in front of their point guards. Brown, Fisher, and Farmer can't do anything with them.