Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i would not miss out on these great games just because of how the title is settled.
a year later, does it matter anyway who played? oh...for the record, it was lsu.
not that it has done them much good this year.
Why do you want to support something where only two handpicked/computer teams have a chance at winning it all.

The less money these clowns can acquire, the more they will need to actually listen to fans. Everyone, EVEN THE PRESIDENT ELECT, wants a playoff, everyone except the schools
Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Why do you want to support something where only two handpicked/computer teams have a chance at winning it all.

The less money these clowns can acquire, the more they will need to actually listen to fans. Everyone, EVEN THE PRESIDENT ELECT, wants a playoff, everyone except the schools
i like football.
i'm not a dan snyder fan, but i've always loved the redskins-i'm not going to quit cheering them on just because they're now owned by a jackass. i guess i just don't see a point in witholding from myself something i enjoy, just because i don't agree with the entire situation.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav

But...shouldn't they count the most?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
But...shouldn't they count the most?
I should have been more detailed. the schools administration is who doesn't want it, the sports programs want it. they get MILLIONS just to show up at a bowl game, it is ridiculous.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
with regard to your bolded portion...at what limit do you draw the points allowed to be a good team limit?? Obviously good teams can give up 45 in your opinion...or 41...but not 65?? What is the magic value where a team becomes not good?? 47?? or can you give up 90 as long as you win??

Florida is the least deserving of a spot in the title game. They are the only one who lost at home. All the others lost on the road or at neutral fields. I hope they lose to Alabama.
OK.
I will make it easier.
When a team allows another team to score at will, every time they get the ball, they are not a good team. Texas Tech is awful away from home.

Last point is a very good one that has not been brought up often enough.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
pgardn

I have this little itch that keeps telling me we are going to play
Ohio St. in the Fiesta Bowl. I like this. Huge crowd. And we get
the chance to go 1 up on Ohio St.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
OK.
I will make it easier.
When a team allows another team to score at will, every time they get the ball, they are not a good team. Texas Tech is awful away from home.

Last point is a very good one that has not been brought up often enough.
I find the whole thing silly. Seriously of the 3, Texas should be in the championship game. When both teams are as good as they are, head to head should be it...if those were the two considered. Yeah, if Texas beat Oklahoma but lost 4 other games, sure...you can say Oklahoma is better. I don't think Oklahoma has a good enough defense to beat Florida or Alabama. Stoops has not been stellar in last games in bowls after that first win over Florida State. Oklahoma deserves just as much flak as Ohio State if not more for some of their performances in BCS games. Stoops is 2-4 in BCS games losing 4 straight now...by 20 to WEst Virginia last year...the Boise State symphony...by 36 to USC, and to LSU. Ohio State has NOT lost 4 straight BCS games.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Thistley Downs

Good stuff,HOCy.

I agree with it all (Ohio is 4-2 in bcs games---by the way) but anyone from the Defenseless League is going to get hammered in the nc game.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Good stuff,HOCy.

I agree with it all (Ohio is 4-2 in bcs games---by the way) but anyone from the Defenseless League is going to get hammered in the nc game.
MORTY!!!

Burning the midnight oil last night? If you're still sick, get some rest!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

The whole thing was silly with Texas' argument. Some people say that it should have come down to a Tex/Oklahoma debate because the way Tech was beaten should have knocked them out of it but if Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma St., Texas STILL doesn't go because they lost to Tech. Everyone knew going into the final weekend that it was likely going to be either Oklahoma or Tech in the conference title game. Texas had a very slim chance. I just think it's incredibly stupid to trumpet the head to head results when you lose that same tiebreaker to another team with the same record.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
You know, somebody made an outstanding point to me the other day. Every team in college football has a chance to win a national championship in their respective divisions... except those that reside in the Mtn West, WAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, or MAC. Utah may be the best team in the country this year, they went undefeated in a league with 3 teams ranked in the BCS that went a combined 6-1 against Pac-10 opponents, but we'll never know because Div 1-A made the incredibly greedy choice of putting money over the true meaning of sport- competition.
Now they're trying to find ways to select a team ranked behind another one for their own big money games despite the fact that team A (Boise) outranks team B (Ohio State) in basically every category that matters, except potentially putting more butts in the seats.

BCS ranking: Boise 9, Ohio State 10 (check, Boise)
Record: Boise 12-0, Ohio State 10-2 (check, Boise)
Best win: Boise @ Oregon, Ohio State @ Michigan State (wash)
Worst loss: Boise NONE, Ohio State home to PSU (...I'll be kind and call it a wash because despite the two losses I have high respect for both of them)
Points for: Boise 473, Ohio State 338 (check, Boise)
Points against: Boise 147, Ohio State 158 (check, Boise)
BCS wins last 3 years Boise 1-0, Ohio State 1-2 (wash... sort of)
I hope Bama hands Utah's a$$es to them in the Sugar Bowl.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I hope Bama hands Utah's a$$es to them in the Sugar Bowl.
go utes.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
The whole thing was silly with Texas' argument. Some people say that it should have come down to a Tex/Oklahoma debate because the way Tech was beaten should have knocked them out of it but if Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma St., Texas STILL doesn't go because they lost to Tech. Everyone knew going into the final weekend that it was likely going to be either Oklahoma or Tech in the conference title game. Texas had a very slim chance. I just think it's incredibly stupid to trumpet the head to head results when you lose that same tiebreaker to another team with the same record.
Under the rules of every other league with a conference championship and the old rules in the big 12, texas would have been in the conference championship.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Del Mar

Not that it means anything but if Texas were to play Oklahoma again on a neutral field this weekend, who would you pick to win?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Not that it means anything but if Texas were to play Oklahoma again on a neutral field this weekend, who would you pick to win?
Joel Rosario.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Joel Rosario.
I stole your bit. "pickle kisser".

I would take Texas personally.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
I stole your bit. "pickle kisser".

I would take Texas personally.
I don't care about football anymore. Bama has to play Utah, ffs.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
You know, somebody made an outstanding point to me the other day. Every team in college football has a chance to win a national championship in their respective divisions... except those that reside in the Mtn West, WAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, or MAC. Utah may be the best team in the country this year, they went undefeated in a league with 3 teams ranked in the BCS that went a combined 6-1 against Pac-10 opponents, but we'll never know because Div 1-A made the incredibly greedy choice of putting money over the true meaning of sport- competition.

Now they're trying to find ways to select a team ranked behind another one for their own big money games despite the fact that team A (Boise) outranks team B (Ohio State) in basically every category that matters, except potentially putting more butts in the seats.

BCS ranking: Boise 9, Ohio State 10 (check, Boise)
Record: Boise 12-0, Ohio State 10-2 (check, Boise)
Best win: Boise @ Oregon, Ohio State @ Michigan State (wash)
Worst loss: Boise NONE, Ohio State home to PSU (...I'll be kind and call it a wash because despite the two losses I have high respect for both of them)
oints for: Boise 473, Ohio State 338 (check, Boise)
Points against: Boise 147, Ohio State 158 (check, Boise
)
BCS wins last 3 years Boise 1-0, Ohio State 1-2 (wash... sort of)
These stats are a little bit of a stretch considering the disparity in quality of opponents. The computers penalize the teams that lose to quality opponents too harshly while rewarding teams that go undefeated and beat no one IMO.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
go utes.
Not sure how a fan of an SEC team can say that, but whatever ...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Not sure how a fan of an SEC team can say that, but whatever ...
I never understand how one can root for a conference rival. I mean you are supposed to hate them. I know that if AZ state played Iran State i would wear a turbin for a day.