Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Steve Byk

Default Weekend Beyers (Genl Qrtrs 95; Papa Clem 101)

KEE-Blue Grass: GENERAL QUARTERS 95
KEE-Shakertown: HERO'S REWARD 96
KEE-Jenny Wiley: FOREVER TOGETHER 98
KEE-Commonwealth: ETERNAL STAR 97
KEE-Maker's Mark Mile: MR. SIDNEY 100
KEE-Madison: INFORMED DECISION 102
KEE-Beaumont: WAR KILL 90

OP-Arkansas Derby: PAPA CLEM 101
OP-Count Fleet Turf Sprint: SEMAPHORE MAN 94
OP-Northern Spur: DANCE CALLER 84
OP-Instant Racing: PAYTON D'ORO 82
OP-Fifth Season: STONEHOUSE 95

AQU-Comely: DREAM PLAY 89

GP-South Beach: RAW SILK 96

SA-La Puente: BATTLE OF HASTINGS 90
SA-Santa Lucia (R): CHAMPAGNE EYES 87
SA-Las Cienagas: GOTTA HAVE HER 98

HAW-Bonasera: SHADOWBDANCING 100

Others:

AQU-OC/N2x-FORMAL KING 107
AQU Mdn Clm (R)-GRAPHITE HALO 64

Last edited by Kasept : 04-15-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
The Curragh

I wish the Beyer folks would just not assign a race a # ,like the Maker's Mark, instead of making a total GUESS.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Flemington

Yeah - I always wondered why they don't put a question mark next to some of the tougher figures to make.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
KEE-Jenny Wiley: FOREVER TOGETHER 98
25.92, 51.83, 1:17.12, 1:40.80, 1:46.93
Forever Together did a wonderful job to attain a respectable beyer considering the snail's pace in the Jenny Wiley.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Oaklawn

Forevever Together was more impressive than Mr. Sidney...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Yeah - I always wondered why they don't put a question mark next to some of the tougher figures to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK
I wish the Beyer folks would just not assign a race a # ,like the Maker's Mark, instead of making a total GUESS.
Then again, those that actually pay attention to how these things are made will have an advantage when they run back, likely in the Woodford Reserve. Just because a 100 makes it fit best doesn't mean it's right.

I hardly buy the DRF anymore, other than for the news, because of numbers like this.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Flemington

It would appear as though the Arkansas Derby Beyer is a 101 now.

http://www.drf.com/stakeresults/drfStakeResults.jsp

As I mentioned - it's always a little tricky making 9f figures for Oaklawn Park when it's the only race carded that day at the distance because of the way the stretch run is configured ... but I got a 98 ... one point lower than the 99 they came out with on Monday.

That means that the 3rd place finisher - who was 15 lengths out of it after a quarter mile - now has his number upgraded to a 99. That's an interesting horse ... a 3rd time starter still elidigble for N1X alw races with major stamina breeding for an obscure - but obviously competent trainer in Tim Ice. His Ark Derby start was just the 100th start in Tim Ice's training career. He started training in 2008.

His low profile jock couldn't even make the 118lbs weight assignment for the race. Hard to say how much horse he is or isn't .. but it can't be that flattering to Old Fashioned or Papa Clem that a lightly raced horse like that was eating up as much ground on them as he was. Strong pace and all.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Oaklawn

I wonder if Summer Bird is looking at a jockey change soon...?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
It would appear as though the Arkansas Derby Beyer is a 101 now.

http://www.drf.com/stakeresults/drfStakeResults.jsp

As I mentioned - it's always a little tricky making 9f figures for Oaklawn Park when it's the only race carded that day at the distance because of the way the stretch run is configured ... but I got a 98 ... one point lower than the 99 they came out with on Monday.

That means that the 3rd place finisher - who was 15 lengths out of it after a quarter mile - now has his number upgraded to a 99. That's an interesting horse ... a 3rd time starter still elidigble for N1X alw races with major stamina breeding for an obscure - but obviously competent trainer in Tim Ice. His Ark Derby start was just the 100th start in Tim Ice's training career. He started training in 2008.

His low profile jock couldn't even make the 118lbs weight assignment for the race. Hard to say how much horse he is or isn't .. but it can't be that flattering to Old Fashioned or Papa Clem that a lightly raced horse like that was eating up as much ground on them as he was. Strong pace and all.

i don't think it was much of a race, considering as you said the third place runner. i know POTN fans think the papa clem win further flatters him, but i would have to disagree. i think hands down the best horse out of oaklawn this year is headed to the oaks.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i don't think it was much of a race, considering as you said the third place runner. i know POTN fans think the papa clem win further flatters him, but i would have to disagree. i think hands down the best horse out of oaklawn this year is headed to the oaks.
No doubt about that.
I'm not a Pioneer fan but I don't see how the results of Papa Clem and IWR can do anything but flatter him.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I'm not a Pioneer fan but I don't see how the results of Papa Clem and IWR can do anything but flatter him.
This continues to be the most bizarre conclusion being drawn and totally indefensible. The results of different animals on a different surface has no influence on what should be expected from Pioneerof the Nile when he goes to that different surface. The factors are unrelated.

The performances don't even flatter POTN as a synthetic surface performer because all we can conclude is that Papa Clem and I Want Revenge may be less competitive on sythetic. Their efforts simply cannot be a precursor of what POTN himself will do on dirt. Why is this so difficult for people to grasp? He may move up. He may be the same. He may be worse. We won't know until he runs a race or two on dirt.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Flemington

Yep. All you can do is use stuff like pedigree, running style, and the trainers past management of said horse to project into grey areas.

But you never know until they try it.

Pioneer of the Nile has worked nine times on dirt before anyway ... including 3 times in fairly pokey time from the gate. That was with Mott - I'm sure Baffert will have him working much sharper now when he gets back on dirt.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 AM

I don't think anyone is saying it moves him up for sure. But the fact that those two horses have gone on to win some very important races speaks well to the quality of horses that he's beaten. I'm not sure how anyone can dispute that fact. While people can question the quality of competition that IWR was beating in NY, we can question how strong the Arkansas Derby was, we can question what was down in Louisiana....we can't question that Pioneer was beating some really good horses. Whether he will move up or down or stay the same is to be seen. But I don't think those subsequent performances by his vanquished foes hurts him at all and they would make anyone take a second look at him. I guarantee that if IWR and Papa Clem had come to the dirt and flopped, EVERYONE would be pointing to that and saying "see, you can't trust the form of those Cali horses on the junk." GUARANTEED.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
This continues to be the most bizarre conclusion being drawn and totally indefensible. The results of different animals on a different surface has no influence on what should be expected from Pioneerof the Nile when he goes to that different surface. The factors are unrelated.

The performances don't even flatter POTN as a synthetic surface performer because all we can conclude is that Papa Clem and I Want Revenge may be less competitive on sythetic. Their efforts simply cannot be a precursor of what POTN himself will do on dirt. Why is this so difficult for people to grasp? He may move up. He may be the same. He may be worse. We won't know until he runs a race or two on dirt.
i agree, and have said the same in the past. some go purely by the win for papa clem to say it flatters-but since i don't think much of the race, i don't think much of the win anyway-a double whammy.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I don't think anyone is saying it moves him up for sure. But the fact that those two horses have gone on to win some very important races speaks well to the quality of horses that he's beaten. I'm not sure how anyone can dispute that fact. While people can question the quality of competition that IWR was beating in NY, we can question how strong the Arkansas Derby was, we can question what was down in Louisiana....we can't question that Pioneer was beating some really good horses. Whether he will move up or down or stay the same is to be seen. But I don't think those subsequent performances by his vanquished foes hurts him at all and they would make anyone take a second look at him. I guarantee that if IWR and Papa Clem had come to the dirt and flopped, EVERYONE would be pointing to that and saying "see, you can't trust the form of those Cali horses on the junk." GUARANTEED.
IWR is a good dirt horse-that doesn't mean anything one way or the other regarding his synthetic surface. you're assuming he's really good on synthetic, and that potn is a better horse because he's beaten revenge. but what if IWR is actually a really bad syn horse?

and you can't trust their form on synthetics. you can use their pp's for future synthetic racing, but i would never use it to translate what i think they'd do on dirt.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Flemington

I think I Want Revenge is a total bum on synthetic tracks.

His dream trip 3rd in the Bob Lewis was a gruesomely bad performance.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I think I Want Revenge is a total bum on synthetic tracks.

His dream trip 3rd in the Bob Lewis was a gruesomely bad performance.

lol
not what i'm saying at all. but all those cali horses only have that surface to run on-i wonder how many would shine if put elsewhere? or would do poorly for that matter.
potn could turn out to be great on dirt, and turn out to be the best three year old. but i just don't see that one of his competitors form on dirt tells you a thing about what POTN would do on the same surface.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone
I wonder if Summer Bird is looking at a jockey change soon...?
Wasn't Rosier the jock on that HBO special with Sellers and Romero a few years back?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Flemington

I thought he might be ... the ass shot scene in that was uncalled for.

The dude was pigging down on burgers and fries in that show if I recall .. big shock he couldn't make the 118lbs he needed to in the Arkansas Derby.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
lol
not what i'm saying at all. but all those cali horses only have that surface to run on-i wonder how many would shine if put elsewhere? or would do poorly for that matter.
potn could turn out to be great on dirt, and turn out to be the best three year old. but i just don't see that one of his competitors form on dirt tells you a thing about what POTN would do on the same surface.
Ok so if Spectacular Bid beat Seattle Slew and Affirmed on dirt then Seattle Slew and Affirmed went on to win grass races, you wouldn't give Bid a longer look in his grass debut?

Nobody is saying it's any kind of certainty that Pioneer will handle the dirt. I have no clue whatsoever. Let me ask you how big of a part does class handicapping play when you are looking at a race? For example, let's say Rail Trip went out and beat Commentator in the Met Mile in his next race then they decide to put him on grass for his next start. I don't know how Rail Trip will handle the grass but I do know that he's a good horse to beat Commentator. Perhaps Papa Clem and IWR both suck on synthetics and are 8-10 lengths better on dirt. Entirely possible. Same could be true of Pioneer. I'm just saying that while the synthetics can mute the form of some horses and raise the form of others, it's USUALLY not going to make bad horses beat good horses. I just think that it's not a negative that he beat them and it's not meaningless. It can only be a plus. How big of one is what's to be determined.