Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habersham000
I know they also kept Stonesider who stands at Highcliff in New York...who is honestly one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen in person....Anyway I love Blue Exit here, 3rd off layoff, had a rough trip last race and only lost 3/4 of a length to Cowboy Cal. He likes the SA pro-ride surface. He has worked back 3 times since his last race. I think he could upset this field.
I agree.....Blue Exit will be in my tri.
Einstein is the real mystery horse to me, who I'm terrified to toss.
And Court Vision is my longshot play.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Was trolling through ESPN and saw this analysis of the Kilroe....and then saw the by line...Very nicely done Brian Spencer...ESPN..impressive..

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=3955780
Wow, ESPN, big time. Congrats Brian.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by monipenny
Actually I would be hard pressed not to believe Pletcher is almost being blamed for a conflict of interest w/ both Cowboy Cal and Monba in the same race. Thank the lord above they are uncoupled in the wagering for the Big Cap on Saturday. Cowboy Cal had a lot of sentimental reasons for being the only horse that Stonerside kept after selling the farm in Ky and almost every single broodmare and horses racing and in training. Does that mean the racing world rolls over for a feel good guy like McNair to win a $1,000,000 race- No Way. But Monba I can asure is not second fiddle to anyone in here. If anything it's the other way around as Monba w/ edgar easily dispatched of Cowbay Cal in the Blue Grass at Keeneland. Which I believe was Monba's best race to date and Edgar really fits this horse also. Also, McNair HAD to liquidate his assets to buy out his partner for full rights to the Houston Texans. Starlight Partners are much more involved in the game then McNair is or maybe will be in the future. So I believe Pletcher is acting in the best interests of both parties. And while I believe IMO that Monba will prove to be best in the Big Cap that's why I love to watch and wager on horse racing.
Oh yea. It is a blessing to all those planning on using Monba, that they remain uncoupled. I don't necessarily think Monba is worse than Cowboy Cal, although the public clearly does. Cowboy Cal is a very good horse from a mile up to about 9 furlongs on the synthetic, especially if it is playing to speed. However 10 furlongs is going to take a lot of heart for him. I like Monba slightly better for win and place, and much beter for 3rd and 4th. Would like to see him run well.

Einstein really ran a big race last time, and there is a big temptation to feature him because of the public probably missing that he was probably best in the Donn. Einstein is probably also the answer of "Who is the best older turf horse in this race?" - which is usually the question that leads to the key horse in a 10 furlong synthetic race.

Magnum was the most impressive visually of all last out.

Last edited by Bobby Fischer : 03-06-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Was trolling through ESPN and saw this analysis of the Kilroe....and then saw the by line...Very nicely done Brian Spencer...ESPN..impressive..

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=3955780
congrats BWS !
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
how bad is horseracing when Cowboy Cow is considered a good racehorse?

How is he a bad horse??? He has won two grade 2's and gotten second in two grade one's...I love when people hate on horses like this...I bet your one of the people saying this is a crappy year of 3 year olds too.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Churchill Downs

Monba did not run smoothly in the Thunder Road. He was asked to run early and was pushed hard by his jock even though it was a fast pace in front of him. He grinded out that last furloung on determination alone.

That does not mean he is a toss out. I believe he will relish the surface and distance but his best races are done on or near the pace. Is Prado smart enough to do realize that?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
How is he a bad horse??? He has won two grade 2's and gotten second in two grade one's...I love when people hate on horses like this...I bet your one of the people saying this is a crappy year of 3 year olds too.
He's no Tiago
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Oaklawn

lol@ this
Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
He's no Tiago

and congrats Brian Spencer
Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
it makes me laugh also. he's not a good horse? his record 11 6-3-0, one bad race on dirt.
other wise he's never out of the exacta in graded stakes and game as hell down the lane. i'm not sure how he'll like 10F, but i'll be using him because of his consistency on the surface.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Cowboy Cal is definitely consistent and sports an admirable record, but can someone name one good horse he has beaten? I can't.

by today's standards...Magnum?

I like the rail horse, Matto Mondo..gate to wire
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Saratoga

Very nice, Brian. Cheers to you.

Still looking at the Honest lady but might go with Moonshine Alice.

No one can beat Stardom Bound...

Becrux in the Kilroe eith Artiste Royale, Global Hunter underneath (and oh God maybe Mr. NT in the 4th spot)

Using Einstein, Zambezi Sun, Dansant and Cowboy Cal in the Big Cap.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 03-06-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Matto Mondo
Court Vision
Zambezi Sun

Ventura
Gio Ponti
Artiste Royal

Stardom Bound
Acronym
Beltene
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Cowboy Cal is definitely consistent and sports an admirable record, but can someone name one good horse he has beaten? I can't.
Um, Monba.

And thanks to everyone on the ESPN congrats....no doubt that I don't quite deserve it, but also undoubtedly the coolest thing that's ever happened to me.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Oriental Park

Nice write-up Brian, congrats.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Havre de Grace

The first time I looked at the Big Cap, I thought wow, there's no speed and this field is largely horrendous. Rail Trip would be 8/5.

NT
Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Oaklawn

nice blog piece that has video Cowboy Cal , Monba, and Blue Exit schooling in the paddock and walking ring
http://maryforney.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Churchill Downs

This year's 3yos have yet to determine if they are decent or not; last year's have proven to be not really bad but lacklustre, with very few who have been able to run well against their elders of similar credentials (graded wins). That is what some forget about the Strub series - it is for 4yos only. It was supposed to be the last chance to prove they were Derby type horses, but then management shortened the Strub to 9f and made the whole thing irrelevant. Cowboy Cal is the only one of the 2005 generation that has beaten older stakes horses this winter, and he was life-and-death to hold on at 1 1/16; and he picks up 3 lbs. today.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Churchill Downs

Go Court Vision!!

If he wins he will be a graded stakes winner on all surfaces.

The Bet:

$100 WP Court Vision
Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
The Curragh

Zambezi Sun
Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Santa Anita

am i missing something with the support for Zambezi Sun. He has just been the most frustrating horse over the past 2 years - even more so than Champs Elysees.

#Grand