Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
100 % yes. You're totally right and it'll be completely unfair.
The original poster said he'd feel bad for the horse that wins. I disagree with him and you. Union Rags is now going to be listed as a classic winner and in each race he runs, we'll be referred to as the Belmont winner. A lot of people will look at that as something special. I won't be one of them. In my opinion, the Belmont is not much more than a unique event because there aren't other races like it in this country but that doesn't make it a special race. It used to have a lot more meaning when there were other races in the fall that were run at 12f and even further that were considered the championship races. Then the Belmont was what I would call the separation race, the one to see which of the 3yos was capable of running at the distances the top older horses were running at. Now, the race is a shadow of it's former self and it's only really a big event when history is on the line in the form of a TC sweep. All one has to do is compare the ratings and attendance figures of the years when a sweep is at hand and when it's not to see the dramatic difference. But that won't stop marketers from featuring Union Rags in their add campaigns for future races. Instead of feeling like it's unfair, he's actually getting a boost because all of us know that he's still no better than the third best member of his crop (if even that) and that he took advantage of both of the better two not being here to win.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-10-2012, 03:49 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

As for the issue of the race call, I absolutely agree with you. There is no way in the world that it could be anything other than a letdown. In any event, when you are expecting to see something great or historical and then you don't get the chance to see it, there is a letdown. Everyone is looking forward to seeing LeBron James vs. Kevin Durant for the NBA title. If James goes down with an ankle injury in the first game and misses the rest of the series, yes, it's still the NBA finals and Durant still would get his trophy for winning but it wouldn't be the same. If both went down, ratings might sink to their lowest levels ever. Even as a player, you let up in that situation. While some might say that you should put your whole heart and best effort into it, I feel that try as you may, it's impossible.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i bet the callers felt some letdown, but once the belmont was on, i bet all those feelings went away.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Randwyck

It's like expecting a 10 speed schwinn varsity for Christmas and getting a banana seat Murray with the front forks assembled backwards.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Havre de Grace

So Vic claims to know EXACTLY how Tom Durkin and Larry Collmus felt about calling the Belmont after the scratch of I'll Have Another? It sure sounded like they approached it like just another race, right?

I think Vic has become a little overzealous in stating the disappointment of I'll Have Another's scratch and moved to saying it was approached as "just another race" instead of "not the same race." To say that it was just another race is to say that it meant no more to Larry or Tom or required no more preparation or thought than the 12th at Belmont yesterday or the 5th at Monmouth today. Saying that is arrogant and presumptuous.

For you to then personally insult another poster, when he never did that to you, while having no knowledge whatsoever of what he is doing in racing is idiotic, even for you. The inane comparison that you made to Pat Cummings potentially calling the Pennsylvania Derby is laughable. Instead of diminishing his work, you should prepare for today's Hollywood card and spare us of the endless pauses within your calls.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Coach Pants

I thought the cali bred winning the big race at Hollywood was a far more memorable race. 3 in a row, guys!!! What a spechul horse!! Donald Warren come on down a googily gee!!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Hialeah Park

I'm waiting for helicopter to tell me that Durkin had a better racecall than Colmus did.

Interestingly enough though, they both called Union Rags to be 4th in the stretch when he clearly passed the retreating Unstoppable U.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Saratoga

I read the first post on this thread and realized it was Business as usual. Vic being Vic making everything about Vic. He really isnt a bad race caller but he is clearly the second best out of 2 in his circut and I think that eats him up. If I were to diagnose I would say he has NPD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001930/

Damar Hamlin
Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
So Vic claims to know EXACTLY how Tom Durkin and Larry Collmus felt about calling the Belmont after the scratch of I'll Have Another? It sure sounded like they approached it like just another race, right?

I think Vic has become a little overzealous in stating the disappointment of I'll Have Another's scratch and moved to saying it was approached as "just another race" instead of "not the same race." To say that it was just another race is to say that it meant no more to Larry or Tom or required no more preparation or thought than the 12th at Belmont yesterday or the 5th at Monmouth today. Saying that is arrogant and presumptuous.

For you to then personally insult another poster, when he never did that to you, while having no knowledge whatsoever of what he is doing in racing is idiotic, even for you. The inane comparison that you made to Pat Cummings potentially calling the Pennsylvania Derby is laughable. Instead of diminishing his work, you should prepare for today's Hollywood card and spare us of the endless pauses within your calls.
I said how "I" would have felt if faced with the situation. I also clearly stated that I could only speculate how "they" might feel. I said nothing about the 12th or the 5th anywhere.

I said absolutely ZERO diminishing Pat's work. In fact I praised him. If I'm not mistaken Pat calls or did call at Parx and I know he does excellent work blogging from from Meydan. That's the reason for the Pennslyvania Derby and Dubai World Cup references.

Just unbelievable. I try to share my thoughts and you use is as just another avenue to knock. There are hundreds of other type threads for that. If you don't like any of those. Simply start a new one.

Hopefully I'll be prepared for todays card and do a good job. I'll do my best.

Curious. How can a "pause" be endless?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I read the first post on this thread and realized it was Business as usual. Vic being Vic making everything about Vic. He really isnt a bad race caller but he is clearly the second best out of 2 in his circut and I think that eats him up. If I were to diagnose I would say he has NPD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001930/
Of course it was all about him...everything is.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I said absolutely ZERO diminishing Pat's work. In fact I praised him. If I'm not mistaken Pat calls or did call at Parx and I know he does excellent work blogging from from Meydan. That's the reason for the Pennslyvania Derby and Dubai World Cup references.
Saying he isn't a real announcer is not praise. No matter how you try and spin it...it isn't.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Saying he isn't a real announcer is not praise. No matter how you try and spin it...it isn't.
He's not. He's a guy that does MANY things in the industry and does them very well. His sole focus is not racecalling. If it was I think he might feel differently.

I was speaking from the perspective of a person that's called major racing in major venues for many years.

You're the one spinning. You can always find a way to say I'm any number of awful things.

That's not my intention. For years I've explained that I won't be swayed by that. I very much believe that the vast majority of people on this site are true, unconditional racing fans and I'm willing to weather your storms to continue interacting with them.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Of course it was all about him...everything is.
Being 2nd best to Trevor is something I agree with and am comfortable with any day of the week and three times on Sunday.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
He's not. He's a guy that does MANY things in the industry and does them very well. His sole focus is not racecalling. If it was I think he might feel differently.
So you've gone from being a race caller to a "drifter" like Pat too. According to your logic...
Keeneland

Quote:

That's not my intention. For years I've explained that I won't be swayed by that. I very much believe that the vast majority of people on this site are true, unconditional racing fans and I'm willing to weather your storms to continue interacting with them.
What a hero.

I very much believe you're a disingenuous panderer and apparently I am not alone.
Coach Pants

Quote:
Being 2nd best to Trevor is something I agree with and am comfortable with any day of the week and three times on Sunday.
That's like being second best to Carmelo Anthony.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
What a hero.

I very much believe you're a disingenuous panderer and apparently I am not alone.
I don't care what you think of me. Never have.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
That's like being second best to Carmelo Anthony.
What's wrong with that?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
So you've gone from being a race caller to a "drifter" like Pat too. According to your logic...
Hopefully he has time to answer this...should be interesting.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
What's wrong with that?
Nothing. Especially if Carmelo tweets in two weeks that the Thunder aren't true champions cause Bosh and Wade were hurt.

Its actually quite hilarious.