Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Keeneland

Default Healthcare reform - subsidy eligibility calculator

From Kaiser Family Foundation, estimated, with caveats:

Quote:
Health Reform Subsidy Calculator
Premium Assistance for Coverage in Exchanges

This tool illustrates premiums and government assistance under the health reform law signed by the President. Beginning in 2014, tax credits will be available for people under age 65 who purchase coverage on their own in a health insurance Exchange and are not covered through their employer, Medicare or Medicaid. The tool allows the user to examine the impact at different income levels, ages, family sizes, and regional costs.

Premium calculations are consistent with estimates of premiums under reform prepared by the Congressional Budget Office. CBO projects that average premiums under reform for the same level of coverage for a given group of enrollees would be 7-10% lower than under the status quo.

However, in many cases coverage will be more comprehensive and accessible than what is typically available today in the non-group market.

As a result, 2014 premiums in the calculator cannot necessarily be compared to what people buying insurance on their own are paying in 2010.

The calculator does not apply to people with coverage available through an employer, where the firm is generally paying for a substantial portion of the insurance premium.

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyCalculator.aspx

And be sure you click on this feature of the website, too http://healthreform.kff.org/en/quizz...uestion-1.aspx
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Del Mar

When lies triumph over facts, we’re done

Quote:
The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s ‘death panel’ so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their ‘level of productivity in society,’ whether they are worthy of health care.” – Sarah Palin, August 7, 2009

The death panels are back.

Sarah Palin’s vision of a dystopian society in which the elderly and infirm would be required to justify their continued existence before a jury of federal functionaries has been widely ridiculed since she first posted it on Facebook three years ago. It was designated “Lie of the Year” by Politifact, the nonpartisan fact checking website, something that would have mortified and humiliated anyone who was capable of those feelings.

Last week, Palin doubled down. “Though I was called a liar for calling it like it is,” she posted, “many of these accusers finally saw that Obamacare did in fact create a panel of faceless bureaucrats who have the power to make life and death decisions about health care funding.” Note that that’s not actually the claim she made in 2009. Of course, “Obamacare,” a.k.a. the Affordable Care Act, was upheld by the Supreme Court Thursday, which must gratify Team Obama.

Quote:
Indeed, falsehoods are harder to kill than a Hollywood zombie. Run them through with fact, and still they shamble forward, fueled by echo chamber media,(Fox news!) ideological tribalism, cognitive dissonance, a certain imperviousness to shame, and an understanding that a lie repeated long enough, loudly enough, becomes, in the minds of those who need to believe it, truth.

That is the lesson of the birthers and truthers, of Sen. Jon Kyl’s “not intended to be a factual statement” about Planned Parenthood, of Glenn Beck’s claim that conservatives founded the Civil Rights Movement, and of pretty much every word Michele Bachmann says. It seems that not only are facts no longer important, but they are not even the point.

Rather, the point is the construction and maintenance of an alternate narrative designed to enhance and exploit the receiver’s fears, his or her sense of prerogatives, entitlement, propriety and morality under siege from outside forces.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/3...#storylink=cpy

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
When lies triumph over facts, we’re done
The Republicans have been screeching lies about health care since it was first discussed. It's continuing today. This weekend on the kiss and cry political shows, Mitch McConnell was in full-blown-pants-on-fire mode.

Fact is, every president has wanted to reform our out-of-control, most-expensive-in-the-world healthcare system. We pay double our GDP what every other top 50 nation pays to have healthcare that millions are unable to access.

They're just pissed the black Democrat got it successfully passed, especially against their total obstruction and middle of the night vote calls.

That Obama used essentially the GOP Heritage Foundation plan presented in 1993 by GOP in the House and Senate as the opposition plan law change to Hillarycare makes it hurt even more.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Louisiana Downs

Arrow USA

Quote:
The Republicans have been screeching lies about health care since it was first discussed.

Its the American Way
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Randwyck

Does nothing for me. I even put myself in as single, doesnt change jack.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Does nothing for me. I even put myself in as single, doesnt change jack.
well, at least you will be comforted in knowing you make enough to subsidize others, but not yourself. well, no more than you already do!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
well, at least you will be comforted in knowing you make enough to subsidize others, but not yourself. well, no more than you already do!
What I dont get is, I AM the middle class, you know the one's who pay their taxes and pave the roads. Im all for helping the poor and people truly in need the one's that cant help themselves but dont we already have programs in place for that. Ah dunno just seems like alot of build up to nothing, for me anyway. I guess we will see what happens, I just have a hard time believing the insurance companies are going to take it up the cornholio.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
What I dont get is, I AM the middle class, you know the one's who pay their taxes and pave the roads. Im all for helping the poor and people truly in need the one's that cant help themselves but dont we already have programs in place for that. Ah dunno just seems like alot of build up to nothing, for me anyway. I guess we will see what happens, I just have a hard time believing the insurance companies are going to take it up the cornholio.
Congratulations, you are among the 251 million Americans that are unaided by the ACA!! Expect to show your thanks by paying a bit more.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
yeah...but you're in the same pickle i'm in. i don't get why they did so much of this, as i've said in the past-states already have programs for people who have pre-existing conditions to get insurance.
they should have just done single payer, i'll say that til i die i guess. this new system will bankrupt the federal govt, which is already on a bad path with spending and the budget, the debt and deficit. and because the feds, unlike everyone else, don't have to include pension funding in their 'budgets' the real deficit is much, much higher than what they officially state. amazing.
but they ignore what economists and the cbl have been recommending, and focus on health care instead-and then produce a cobbled together mish mash that keeps health companies, the ultimate evil-yet something everyone should join?-medicare (look at the savings!) medicaid (ignore the funding, it is going to be higher than the medicare savings!) and adds subsidies for people to buy insurance(if they had single payer, there would be no insurance companies-what would that save???)...which we all know where that funding will come from for the subsidies. for the huge expansion of medicaid(if states sign up for it). but magically, this program won't cost any more than what we have now.
right. sure. in what world do you expand spending, but it costs no more?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Congratulations, you are among the 251 million Americans that are unaided by the ACA!! Expect to show your thanks by paying a LOT more.
FTFY
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
FTFY
but, but, but the subsidies...
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
but, but, but the subsidies...
lol
yeah, i expect our group coverage to go up...and before long, they'll have to raise taxes to pay for the subsidies. you know, the ones most of us don't qualify for.
and if you get a subsidy to buy insurance, you will also have a lower stop loss, and lower deductibles. the rest of us will pay for that too. oh yes, yes we will.
you see, when a pols lips move, he's lying. and to know that big pharma was in on all the deal making...that's scary. no doubt health insurers were as well.
yeah, it's for our own good. bend over and take it.
and if you complain, well you're just a hater. yeah, it's got nothing to do with having a head that looks at numbers, and math, equations and says no way this crap will work. it's all based purely on emotion.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

just saw this, no doubt the first of many to announce they won't buy in:

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...xpand-medicaid

Gov. Scott says Florida will not comply with health care law or expand Medicaid

By Gary Fineout, NBCMiami.com

Florida Gov. Rick Scott now says Florida will do nothing to comply with President Barack Obama's health care overhaul and will not expand its Medicaid program. The announcement is a marked changed after the governor recently said he would follow the law if it were upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

"Florida is not going to implement Obamacare. We are not going to expand Medicaid and we're not going to implement exchanges,'' Scott's spokesman Lane Wright told The Associated Press on Saturday. Wright stressed that the governor would work to make sure the law is repealed.

Scott told Fox News the Medicaid expansion would cost Florida taxpayers $1.9 billion a year, but it's unclear how he arrived at that figure.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i found it interesting in the ruling the other day where roberts essentially pulled the rug out from under ppuca, by saying current funding for current medicaid would not be allowed to be cut if a state opted out of obamacare.
in other words, he's now said nullification is allowed. john c calhoun would have a party if he knew.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
just saw this, no doubt the first of many to announce they won't buy in:

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...xpand-medicaid

Gov. Scott says Florida will not comply with health care law or expand Medicaid

By Gary Fineout, NBCMiami.com

Florida Gov. Rick Scott now says Florida will do nothing to comply with President Barack Obama's health care overhaul and will not expand its Medicaid program. The announcement is a marked changed after the governor recently said he would follow the law if it were upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

"Florida is not going to implement Obamacare. We are not going to expand Medicaid and we're not going to implement exchanges,'' Scott's spokesman Lane Wright told The Associated Press on Saturday. Wright stressed that the governor would work to make sure the law is repealed.

Scott told Fox News the Medicaid expansion would cost Florida taxpayers $1.9 billion a year, but it's unclear how he arrived at that figure.

I'm shocked!...a politician lied...they all should be forced to take this lie detector test..

http://www.evesmag.com/carsonpolitician.htm

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Unless Honu is making over $200,000-$250,000 a year, or visiting the tanning salon, Honu's not "subsidizing" anything

Honu, you get work coverage or have to buy your own?

One good thing it does for all riders ... all those aches, pains, broken bones that most riders get along the way, and the total back/knee soreness +/- arthritis when you get over 40 is no longer "pre-existing" stuff!

And no more paying an arm and a leg for coverage, if you purchase your own health insurance, just because you are in a dangerous sport professionally.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
i found it interesting in the ruling the other day where roberts essentially pulled the rug out from under ppuca, by saying current funding for current medicaid would not be allowed to be cut if a state opted out of obamacare.
in other words, he's now said nullification is allowed. john c calhoun would have a party if he knew.
The bottom ten states in the country, the absolute worse in health care, are all those Red State governors whining how they will refuse to cooperate with the law because they are in a snit.

They're gonna have a good time with re-election, after they tell their citizens, they are personally refusing federally-funded health care for them (the Medicaid expansion) that won't cost the state or the recipient a dime

The govs can also refuse to set up state exchanges, but that just mean the feds come in and do it for them. That means they lose their state-control, and state-specific type of exchange.

Ceding federal control is a pretty funny choice for these "state's rights" ultra-conservative, tea-partier types to take.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Unless Honu is making over $200,000-$250,000 a year, or visiting the tanning salon, Honu's not "subsidizing" anything

Honu, you get work coverage or have to buy your own?

One good thing it does for all riders ... all those aches, pains, broken bones that most riders get along the way, and the total back/knee soreness +/- arthritis when you get over 40 is no longer "pre-existing" stuff!

And no more paying an arm and a leg for coverage, if you purchase your own health insurance, just because you are in a dangerous sport professionally.

I get insurance through my partners job, I cant say that I know of any back stretch workers who are insured through their bosses. Like I said I didnt have to take any exam for the insurance I have and I wasnt asked any questions about pre-existing injuries. I was just curious and calculated in my income and it gave me just about the same exact numbers I pay now. I make scale salary for my job in Ca. I dont know what others make back east.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I get insurance through my partners job, I cant say that I know of any back stretch workers who are insured through their bosses. Like I said I didnt have to take any exam for the insurance I have and I wasnt asked any questions about pre-existing injuries. I was just curious and calculated in my income and it gave me just about the same exact numbers I pay now. I make scale salary for my job in Ca. I dont know what others make back east.
Sounds like a good deal for you. You boss "may" be able to afford to directly offer some employees insurance with this if he wants, due to the big tax credits available to him, and the lower cost of insurance on exchanges.

I'm on the individual temporary exchange now. The best thing is my pre-existing conditions are now covered, for less than I paid without them covered before recission. When I moved across state lines, 25 years of paying regularly for health insurance went out the window, and I got a huge increase just for writing a new policy in a new state - with everything I'd had in the past excluded from coverage.

When you get my age, the ACA encouragement for free wellness checks to catch stuff early is huge. This will be terrific for lower to middle-income folks 35-60, who have diabetes, heart trouble, etc. and couldn't afford insurance before. The preventive care savings will be marked.

I paid maybe $150 a month for my 21-28-year old employees through a small business group plan ... ah, youth!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Randwyck

Here in Ca. backstretch people can go to a medical and dental service that the horseman and track fund. Its not free but its hugely discounted, but you have to sign paperwork claiming poverty.