Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Bowie

I watched the coverage on TVG. Even if ESPN had an exclusive to show the race live, I would have waited and watched the delayed running on TVG. ESPN has become a monolithic network geared more toward covering and even creating controversy in the sports world. This is even beginning to infiltrate their Thoroughbred racing coverage. I refuse to watch anything on ESPN that I can watch elsewhere. I even find myself turning down the volume on their Monday Night Football broadcast. I just can't take it any more. I'd rather watch the game in silence while listening to the Monday ATR show on my MP3 player, than listen to the garble of the MNF crew. Tom Mees must be turning over in his grave.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsMyHero
I watched the coverage on TVG. Even if ESPN had an exclusive to show the race live, I would have waited and watched the delayed running on TVG. ESPN has become a monolithic network geared more toward covering and even creating controversy in the sports world. This is even beginning to infiltrate their Thoroughbred racing coverage. I refuse to watch anything on ESPN that I can watch elsewhere. I even find myself turning down the volume on their Monday Night Football broadcast. I just can't take it any more. I'd rather watch the game in silence while listening to the Monday ATR show on my MP3 player, than listen to the garble of the MNF crew. Tom Mees must be turning over in his grave.
I had to laugh when the TVG hype machine called the Hard Spun-SS snooze fest equivelant to an "Ali-Frazier" bout....please
Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I believe on "Dr's orders"...
<snicker>
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
I was standing watching the winners' circle proceedings and my friend asked me if I heard a humming sound. I said "what humming?" and he replied: It's the sound of all those ankle bracelets going off in one place. It's hard to get behind this horse (who I admit I love) when the owners have such a poor reputation. Jackson and Padua have been screaming about transparency and when asked about the details of their purchase of Curlin said "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" And they are the ones who are out.
too funny!!!! your friend sounds like my kinda guy!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Santa Anita

I was going through Kenny Mayne withdrawal so I can't say that I had 100% good time in terms of the commentating although they weren't doing anything I could point to as terrible. I was momentarily taken aback by the Curlin's owners and ESPN crack but then I chuckled. It's even funnier now as I try to picture the meeting where the producers discuss whether it's a good idea. I'm sure whoever suggested it had fun offering up the snark.

Is there any way to get Hank to do all his segments pre-taped? Cuz some of us would appreciate taking the nails-on-chalkboard element of the show out. You know I think I'd enjoy a reverse-Godzilla where they film Hank and then dub him in Japanese while offering English subtitles.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Exactly, it has absolutely no impact on the fields so no one should have a beef with it. The only thing it accomplishes is that it lets the rare casual fan that tunes in be able to start associating the races with what BC division they correspond to.
Oh, I agree the "new system" has no effect on anything whatsoever, so I couldn't care less about it.
I just got tired of them saying "win and you're in" every 5 seconds, as if the important thing about winning the JCGC was that it got you in the BCC. As far as I am concerned, winning the JCGC is important........because it is the JCGC.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Santa Anita

I have to agree on that one. They were really hyping the breeders cup worldchampionship. I don't recall they mentioned anything about this history of the JCGC. You could say that was in poor taste. I doubt anyone cares about those scoundrels in jail.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
and it's been mentioned elsewhere that the reason curlin has no stud deal, unlike the other 'big' colts, is because of those two yahoos.
so they mentioned where two of his owners are--so what? espn shouldn't be embarrassed about it, the two crooks should. it's a shame that curlin is with the group he's with, he's a sweet horse who doesn't get much press compared to the others because of his crappy connections.
On the bright side, the longer he goes with no stud deal, the longer he'll run, right?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
I was going through Kenny Mayne withdrawal so I can't say that I had 100% good time in terms of the commentating although they weren't doing anything I could point to as terrible. I was momentarily taken aback by the Curlin's owners and ESPN crack but then I chuckled. It's even funnier now as I try to picture the meeting where the producers discuss whether it's a good idea. I'm sure whoever suggested it had fun offering up the snark.

Is there any way to get Hank to do all his segments pre-taped? Cuz some of us would appreciate taking the nails-on-chalkboard element of the show out. You know I think I'd enjoy a reverse-Godzilla where they film Hank and then dub him in Japanese while offering English subtitles.

That's about the only way to redeem his segments. NOBODY likes him. He's ALWAYS red, disheveled, and slurry. And wrong.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default Orange Jumpsuits & TVG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
The comments about calling the County Jail and asking if they had ESPN and then following it up with the comment about how important their one phone call would be today was poor taste.

This is in reference to the Curlin connections obviously. Very poor taste and I am shocked that they, the group that was calling this race, showed that side on the air. Very bush league and did not do the industry any favors when it comes to image.
Poor taste... mug shots & orange jumpsuits would constitute poor taste!

I think we DTers should sponsor cable upgrade for county lockup -- "Cable Upgrade Powered by Derby Trail" or "Breeders' Cup TV Presented by DerbyTrail.com." I little cross promotion on big day might drive more traffic here. LOL...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
On the bright side, the longer he goes with no stud deal, the longer he'll run, right?
he's not one i care about seeing run. his trainer puts me right off, no joy in seeing him run well. it always causes me to go 'i wonder if...'