Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Randwyck

I can't wait for the Indian Tardlie colt's run up to this year's Kentucky Derby.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Goodwood

And what is it about posters with Bid in their name here?

Did the meaning of 'Bid' change meaning over night?
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
You're right, horse racing is in trouble because people on message boards can be critical at times. You nailed it. NTRA should be calling you soon.
Are you kidding me..."people on message boards can be critical at times"...95% of everything on here is people being critical...it is this "great" sport and all everyone does is complain about everything...and if they don't complain, they have to make a immature smart ass comment...
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian View Post
Are you kidding me..."people on message boards can be critical at times"...95% of everything on here is people being critical...it is this "great" sport and all everyone does is complain about everything...and if they don't complain, they have to make a immature smart ass comment...
Right, and that's what's plaguing the industry. I was agreeing with you.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid View Post
If you don't like the entire game Cannon why train?

The Pagentry is part of it. That doesn't mean she wasnt a great mare, she was.
Pagentry is not part of achievement. You don't hear NFL writers saying that Brady is the MVP because he has a glamouous wife and nice hair and has been a regular on TMZ. In Horse racing suddenly this matters. Al Stall is not particularly quoteworthy, the owner of Blame is a pretty dull guy, the horse is not flashy. But he accomplished far more in winning his races this year and beating Zenyatta then she did. It doesn't take a racing historian to understand that older male grade 1's trump synthetic track, filly races.

My distaste for the dumbing down of the sport doesnt mean that I don't like the sport as a whole. Just the direction that it is heading in. The entire Zenyatta episode is a discredit to the sport as a whole. The sport is a great game that stands on its own merits. It is not a movie and sometimes the fairy tale endings don't come to pass. Doesn't mean that Zenyatta wasn't a great filly. She just doesn't deserve horse of the year this year. She simply didn't do more than Blame did on the track in 2010.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Pagentry is not part of achievement. You don't hear NFL writers saying that Brady is the MVP because he has a glamouous wife and nice hair and has been a regular on TMZ. In Horse racing suddenly this matters. Al Stall is not particularly quoteworthy, the owner of Blame is a pretty dull guy, the horse is not flashy. But he accomplished far more in winning his races this year and beating Zenyatta then she did. It doesn't take a racing historian to understand that older male grade 1's trump synthetic track, filly races.

My distaste for the dumbing down of the sport doesnt mean that I don't like the sport as a whole. Just the direction that it is heading in. The entire Zenyatta episode is a discredit to the sport as a whole. The sport is a great game that stands on its own merits. It is not a movie and sometimes the fairy tale endings don't come to pass. Doesn't mean that Zenyatta wasn't a great filly. She just doesn't deserve horse of the year this year. She simply didn't do more than Blame did on the track in 2010.
I think Juan Carlos Guerrero deserves trainer of the year...he's certainly done it on the track. What do you think?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
I think Juan Carlos Guerrero deserves trainer of the year...he's certainly done it on the track. What do you think?
Good one.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbid09 View Post
Zenyatta is one of the greatest of all time. Hands down. The people who needed her to stay perfect to prove that should go curl up in a corner and die. The world needs less idiots. How could you ask anyone to stay perfect in any sport to prove they are great? That's just cruel. It's insulting. 19 in a row wasn't enough. 20 in a row wouldn't have been enough either. It wasn't how many races Zenyatta won. You simply would never have called Zenyatta one of the greatest of all time.

If you think that by Zenyatta losing this race she has now proven herself to be less than one of the greatest of all time you're wrong. Let's put this race in perspective. What was this race to determine? 2010 HOY honors.

This race wasn't a race to prove if Zenyatta was amongst the greatest ever. And stop turning it into that. What did this race prove that we didn't already know? Horses get beat and she was beaten by a horse who loved Churchill Downs and had the exact style of running that put her at a disadvantage. And Zenyatta always starts at a disadvantage to begin with.

To ask Zenyatta to win this race was asking a lot. She was up against it. But She still showed her greatness by coming as close to a win as she possibly could. She technically shouldn't have even come that close. But she is just amazing!

Blame is an excellent horse. He beat Quality Road at his distance and he beat Zenyatta at her distance. But he lost this year too. He couldn't overcome the running style of a horse like Haynesfield on the lose and he went all out trying. The same thing happened to Zenyatta. She couldn't overcome the task at hand. She just couldn't. It was impossible. Don't ask a horse to do the impossible. But you ask them to do the impossible and they lose by inches they truly deserve to be among the greatest ever.

I am taking nothing away from Blame. He's great. It would be easier to ask a horse like Blame to win 19 in a row than to ask a horse with Zenyatta's running style to win 19 in a row. But he couldn't. He can't overcome everything. Neither can Zenyatta. She shouldn't have won this race and she didn't but she almost did.

This race showed so much about Zenyatta in a positive light. I know that Zenyatta can overcome just about anything after watching this race. So for all of you people who made this race into a test of her greatness fine. Do that. But If you needed this race to show you that Zenyatta is amongst the greatest horses of all time I think it did. When horses are at a disadvantage they lose by lengths. Blame did. Zenyatta lost by inches.
What you've just said, is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian View Post
Yes and the NFL is going to die because Cowboys fans are not so chipper this afternoon...

And the ever popular sports radio is a completely positive arena as well!

When things happen that are noteworthy and deserve praise, this board certainly does just that. However the incidences of real achievement are happening less and less in the game and us trying to gloss over it isnt going to make everything better.

No one is telling me why Zenatta should be horse of the year based on merit. It is always the nebulous stuff like good of the game, people bringing signs, excitement, pageantry, etc. You know why? Because the vast majority of her 2010 season just isn't that impressive. You can't talk about the great horses she beat. You cant talk about the easy wins. You can't talk about beating males. Her best race by far was one where she lost. Don't get mad at us for pointing this out. Get mad at Moss and Sheriffs who created this scenario. One win against males during the campaign would have likely sealed the deal. Ask why they were afraid to run against pretty soft males in CA with this great mare? She is obviously a great horse. Why wasn't she campaigned as one?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
Deflecting attention away from Zenyatta's 2010 schedule is a smart play. Again why aren't her fans asking why she was kept in such soft company all year?

JC Guerrero is so good they need to create a total eclipse award for him.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

THere's a Zenyatta HOTY 2010 page on facebook and there are almost 2,000 fans of it already. I'm telling you guys, she's going to win it. Sad, but true.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
THere's a Zenyatta HOTY 2010 page on facebook and there are almost 2,000 fans of it already. I'm telling you guys, she's going to win it. Sad, but true.
Facebook is ghey
Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Deflecting attention away from Zenyatta's 2010 schedule is a smart play. Again why aren't her fans asking why she was kept in such soft company all year?
Good luck getting an answer to this.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
JC Guerrero is so good they need to create a total eclipse award for him.
His barn must be under one before he sends them up to the paddock.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
When your favorite horse runs in 2-3 meaningful races her entire career, you really have to make stretches to compare her to the greats.
ah running in 14 grade 1 races and only 2-3 you consider meaningful.

Why do you follow the sport then, what does that say about the time you are wasting if you think like that?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

The sport is a great game that stands on its own merits.
If you think about this, the direction the sport is trending this past decade, it is kinda scary is it not?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Good luck getting an answer to this.
Pretty much because her connections wanted to keep her perfect record in tack and point for the one race at the end of the year and hopefully win the Classic and go out Horse of the Year. Obviously it didn't end up that way so too bad...but who really cares. It's their horse they do what they want with her and at the end of the day live with the outcome.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
ah running in 14 grade 1 races and only 2-3 you consider meaningful.
You know how ridiculous this is. I'm not sure why you continue to bring it up.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Days like today leave me really missing poor, old Nashoba's Key.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You know how ridiculous this is. I'm not sure why you continue to bring it up.
I told you if I owned the horse our schedule would have been the SA Handicap, Dubai WC, HGC, Pacific Classic, JCGC and the BC Classic.

But saying she did not run in many meaningful races is just ludicris because the competition did not show up. I can make the same argument for half of Cigars races then.

Same thing happened with Azeri, so she only ran in 1-2 meaningful races...I just can't by that.