Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Churchill Downs

Default Grasshopper ? ? ?

What has happened to him ? is it just a case of a horse losing it ? i thought he was sitting on a big year, and its been far from that. I just watched his replays of his saratoga races last year, and they are both about as good as it gets. Is this the perfect example of a horse not holding his form from 3-4, and the reasson why we see many of are good-great horses retired so early ?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Del Mar

Maybe he just loves Saratoga. . .
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Del Mar

its not like he had a good/great three year old year. What exactly did he do at three that was so good?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
The Curragh

He's the new Perfect Drift
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
its not like he had a good/great three year old year. What exactly did he do at three that was so good?
i thought he had a good year, there was the big 3 last year, and then him...
second in the travers, second in the super derby... decent year, lots of this years 3 yr olds owners/trainers would be happy with that,
and what does your response have to do with my question, its a horse racing site, and i would much rather talk about the actual horses then some of the other things that get attention !
Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11204
second in the travers, second in the super derby... decent year, lots of this years 3 yr olds owners/trainers would be happy with that,
and what does your response have to do with my question, its a horse racing site, and i would much rather talk about the actual horses then some of the other things that get attention !
I dont know...maybe i expect too much. I expect a stake horse to have won a stake to consider it a good year. Call me demanding.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Your question supposes that Grasshopper was some kind of beast last year and mysteriously soured over the winter between his 3 and 4 year old seasons. I dont see that as the case thats all.

I saw him as a very average horse last year that made his rep finishing second to a less than cranked Street Sense in front of a bunch of proven nags. He then finished second at 3/10 to a horse named Going Ballistic that I have no idea who he was or who he is. outside of that???????????????? He is still eligible for nx2.

So what is so different this year? He didnt win a stake then and didnt win one this year either. Where is the form reversal?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Churchill Downs

maybe i am crazy, but i would have took grasshopper over a lot of 3 yr old stakes winners from last year.
his allowance win vs his elders at saratoga was a fine race.
and his second in a prestigous race like the travers was huge.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Your question supposes that Grasshopper was some kind of beast last year and mysteriously soured over the winter between his 3 and 4 year old seasons. I dont see that as the case thats all.

I saw him as a very average horse last year that made his rep finishing second to a less than cranked Street Sense in front of a bunch of proven nags. He then finished second at 3/10 to a horse named Going Ballistic that I have no idea who he was or who he is. outside of that???????????????? He is still eligible for nx2.

So what is so different this year? He didnt win a stake then and didnt win one this year either. Where is the form reversal?
i guess we look at it different. i will say this, less then cranked street sense ? your totally wrong there, he was fully cranked that day, FULLY CRANKED, maybe he was less in the jim dandy, or the race before the breeders cup classic, but to say he was not cranked travers day is crazy
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
if he was the fourth best three year old last year, the only question i would have is what races were you watching? finishing second to street sense once doesn't make a horse good.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
i guess we look at it different. i will say this, less then cranked street sense ? your totally wrong there, he was fully cranked that day, FULLY CRANKED, maybe he was less in the jim dandy, or the race before the breeders cup classic, but to say he was not cranked travers day is crazy
Yes, nafzger had him fully cranked to face...Hunting, cp west and the indomitable grasshopper. Im crazy i guess.

But lets forget the fact that for every other big race that Street Sense raced in fully cranked, he prepped on poly.

Im crazy.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Havre de Grace

His second in the Super Derby was nothing to be proud of- that field was atrocious.

He was well beyond the fourth best 3YO last year, Tiago would have eaten his lunch and still would now.

NT
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
maybe i am crazy, but i would have took grasshopper over a lot of 3 yr old stakes winners from last year.
his allowance win vs his elders at saratoga was a fine race.
and his second in a prestigous race like the travers was huge.
who did he beat in that allowance and who did he finish in front of in that "prestigious" race?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Yes, nafzger had him fully cranked to face...Hunting, cp west and the indomitable grasshopper. Im crazy i guess.

But lets forget the fact that for every other big race that Street Sense raced in fully cranked, he prepped on poly.

Im crazy.

ANYONE WOULD BE CRAZY TO SAY A HORSE WAS NOT CRANKED FOR THE TRAVERS, THE TRAVERS IS THE MAIN SUMMER GOAL FOR ANY GOOD HORSE, AND TO SAY HE WAS NOT CRANKED IS WRONG, AND IM SURE OTHER PPL WILL AGREE WITH ME ON THIS ONE.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
His second in the Super Derby was nothing to be proud of- that field was atrocious.

He was well beyond the fourth best 3YO last year, Tiago would have eaten his lunch and still would now.

NT
i am a huge tiago fan, and always have been, but he continues to disapoint, kinda like grasshopper
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Santa Anita

I'd say any win at the Spa is prestigious but I understand your question about the allowance field.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
ANYONE WOULD BE CRAZY TO SAY A HORSE WAS NOT CRANKED FOR THE TRAVERS, THE TRAVERS IS THE MAIN SUMMER GOAL FOR ANY GOOD HORSE, AND TO SAY HE WAS NOT CRANKED IS WRONG, AND IM SURE OTHER PPL WILL AGREE WITH ME ON THIS ONE.
Really? LOL. how old are you? Main summer goal for ANY good horse? And i guess that is why Street Sense was the first derby/travers winner since????

Okay, you are right. Nafzger made sure Street Sense was ready to lay down his life to beat CP West, hunting and grasshopper. You win.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Really? LOL. how old are you? Main summer goal for ANY good horse? And i guess that is why Street Sense was the first derby/travers winner since????

Okay, you are right. Nafzger made sure Street Sense was ready to lay down his life to beat CP West, hunting and grasshopper. You win.
hunting did not run in the travers, he could not have, and most good 3 yr olds do point to the travers, what else is there ?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Churchill Downs

i could be wrong, but hunting is something like a 6yr old gelding
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
i could be wrong, but hunting is something like a 6yr old gelding
sightseeing. sorry. equally naggish.