Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Del Mar

Default Thoughts On NBA at midseason

Lakers- As presently stands, there is not a team in the NBA that can beat them in a 7 game series. Period. A trade before the deadline can always change that but it would have to be one hell of a trade. The "trade" of Artest for Ariza wasnt designed to match up with teams in the west, it was for the potential matchups in the finals ie Cleveland (lebron), Boston (pierce), Orlando (Vince). At this stage, Ariza is the better offensive player and probably a more athletic defender than Artest. However, he certainly isnt physical enough to guard those guys like Artest is.

Wizards- Like it or not, they are married to Gilbert. You just cant buy out 80 million dollars and you certainly can't trade that kind of baggage away. Gilbert's op-ed was just the start. He will be a wizard for the foreseeable future. I say that you get what you can for the rest of them and you rebuild.

Dallas- Going to spend more money and make another worthless trade before the deadline to prop up this "contender". Forget it. The team is old and will be out early...again.

Denver- Gosh this team is good. Chauncey Billups never gets the credit he deserves. A shame they got this good at the wrong time. They defend the post well but they just can't score from it. At the end of the day, that is the difference between them and the lakers. Still, they have advantages over the lakers in overall athleticism and the all important point guard. It will be another fun western conference final.

San Antonio- They got as much juice out of that lemon as they could. If anyone mentions them as a contender though...

Boston- They are looking old right now. They are injured a lot and losing a lot of games in the second half. Rondo still can't hit a jump shot. Still talented enough to contend in the east but they just don't seem able to beat Orlando.

Orlando- At the end of the day, letting Hedo go was all about the money. Do you really want to pay 31 year old Hedo Turkoglu 50 million over 5 yrs? Trading for VC in his place is an experiment. He has one year after this one left on his contract and if it doesnt work out, the expiring contract becomes trade bait next year and you are back in the free agent pool. VC can still take over a game as evidenced the other night. "half man, half retired" is the line of the year.

Cleveland- This team is not as good as last year and Shaq better be saving it for the playoffs. Lebron is still the man but in a 7 game series, who is going to step up and make some shots? Jamario Moon? Anthony Parker? Delonte West??? (sorry cannon). They need a trade for Caron or Jamison or BOTH! Shaq and Delonte for Caron and Jamison. Now THAT would be a trade and it would work cap wise.

Atlanta- The wild card of the east. Still not ready though.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Gulfstream Park

Um, dala, did you forget that KG is serving a one-year suspension? lol

Kinda miss the guy a little…
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Shaq has played very well in games against good teams and the last month playing without their number 1 and 2 point guards. In the end they'll need one of their point guards to make shots in a 7 game series like Mo Williams did all last year and all this year so far. He didn't do it in the Orlando series which is why they lost as I explained to you ad nauseum last year and you completely failed to understand. Mo shot like crap and also they had nothing to contend with Howard. In the end, I do think they are better than last year. Simply because they have a semblence of an inside presence this year which they didn't last year who can somewhat provide a presence against Howard. I don't know if they are good enough this year, but they are much, much better personnel wise. They've played their last 8 games without last year's starting backcourt and won every game. I don't think they do that last year. Sasha Pavlovic and Wally Szerbiak were getting big minutes last year don't forget. Pavlovic is now Minnesota's 10th man and Wally is somewhere not near NBA basketbll arenas.
And in those 8 games, they played ny, nj, indy, minn, and the clips and 6 of those games were at home. Lebron could have had Steve Byk and Andy Serling in the backcourt and they still would have won those games. GPK could have played center (sorry kev, i had to).

Lebron KNOWS this team can't win and thats why he is pushing so hard for the jamison trade. Shaq isnt a presence against the likes of Howard. Howard kills him.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Like the game in Orlando this year when the Cavs led by 20 going into the 4th quarter and beat them with Howard going for 11 and 7. Killing him like that?? Glad you speak to LeBron so often. I've never really spoken to him and have not heard that he knows the team can't win. Good thing you're here to set us straight. Of course they also beat the Lakers, Miami twice, and Memphis without their starting point guard. Perhaps Howard will kill him tonight. We can only hope. They're 10-0 since their starting point guard who goes for 17 a game went down. They're doing something right.

Lebron is openly lobbying for the trade. Perhaps the newspapers in Idaho haven't gotten word of this yet but it is no secret. If he was confident in the team as it stands, why would he lobby for a trade? Again, perhaps this is some kind of common sense found on a yet to be discovered planet but here on Earth what makes sense is that he ISNT confident at all.

Orlando is hot and cold right now as they went through some major roster adjustments in the offseason. You want to use ONE game to prove a point? LOL Okay...I was wrong. Shaq can defend Howard.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Lakers are obvious favorite, Kobe taking some time off has proven their depth. Don't see anyone in the West challenging them. Cavs need to make a trade, they need another scorer, Jamison would fit nicely, Murphy could also help...we'll see if they can pull the trigger. Celtics are suddenly old...Rondo a star but the big three can't get healthy, will they trade? Magic lack chemistry!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Sha Tin

I think LA is the mornng line fav but certainly beatable. Kobe may have decided to cruise through the regular season and in his defense he is beatup but he needs to provide an awful lot of the backcourt scoring once the games mean something. I think they will regret the Artest move.

Denver at full strength is going to give them all they can handle. Lawson coming off the bench lets them rest Billips and those two are a tough matchup for LA. Given they should benefit from last years playoff experience and are the younger team they are clearly second best in the West. They do still struggle on the road which is a problem.

San Antonio's top guys are either injured or seem to have lost a step. Ginobili especially and Jefferson hasnt been a difference maker (but when has he been?)

I dont believe in Dallas and Utah simply doesnt have the horses. Wes Mathews is an impressive rookie for the Jazz. I still remember the game when Xavier McDaniel tried to strangle his father, Wes sr. Think Utah is happy paying Kirilenko 16 million this year?

The surprise team is Ok City who would play Dallas in the first rd if the season ended right now. They don't have enough guns to do too much damage in a long series but they will let you know they were there. Durant has contined to progress and they have a good nucleus of talent around him though the frontcourt is still small. One of the interesting stats is that they are 15-10 at home and 15-11 on the road. Only Dallas and La have more roads wins than the Thunder do.

Memphis has played well (for them) though have shown signs of fading. Amazingly enough Z. Randolph has been producing and being a good teammate (if not punching anyone or getting arrested qualifies).

In the East there are only 4 teams worth talking about. Cleveland, Orlando, Boston and Atlanta. Dala discounts Cleveland but Shaq does negate Howard to an extent and gives them a low post presence. While they may yet make a trade, if healthy the team they have presently should get out of the East because Orlando isnt as good with Vince Carter as they were with Hedu and Courtney Lee, Boston cant stay healthy and looks older and slower with each passing game and Atlanta is athletic but isnt a real threat.

Cleveland could use another wing shooter but in reality who couldn't? There just isnt anyone out there and the Shaq/ Delonte for Caron/Jamison proposed here makes sense in a fantasy league only. First of all there is zero chance that the Wizards would trade for another guy with gun issues in the wake of the Agent zero deal. Secondly Shaq would probably just not report to Washington. Not to mention that Cleveland should intend on using Shaq's expiring contract space to sign Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade in the summer. Cleveland should focus on someone like Kevin Martin who can create his own shot and whose defense can be hidden by the Cavs. Really if they could work a deal for Jamison alone (maybe for Z Ill's expiring contract?) that would solve two problems for them and allow them to match up better with LA in the finals. (Problems being JJ Hicksons minutes and a tall player who can hit an open jumper and be able to more effectively defend Pau)
Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
And in those 8 games, they played ny, nj, indy, minn, and the clips and 6 of those games were at home. Lebron could have had Steve Byk and Andy Serling in the backcourt and they still would have won those games. GPK could have played center (sorry kev, i had to).

Lebron KNOWS this team can't win and thats why he is pushing so hard for the jamison trade. Shaq isnt a presence against the likes of Howard. Howard kills him.
Where do you get that from?

http://espndb.go.com/nba/finals/stat.../dwight-howard (look on the right side of the page under ESPN research)

Lebron wants to win and jamison would make them better and Washington is going to have a fire sale. That doesnt mean LeBron has decided that they cant win without him but obviously he would rather have him on his side.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Where do you get that from?

http://espndb.go.com/nba/finals/stat.../dwight-howard (look on the right side of the page under ESPN research)

Lebron wants to win and jamison would make them better and Washington is going to have a fire sale. That doesnt mean LeBron has decided that they cant win without him but obviously he would rather have him on his side.
Why would Lebron lobby so hard for a trade thus taking away any leverage cleveland would have if he didnt think a trade is essential? This is common sense. Its not as stupid as saying Delonte West is anything but a very average NBA player but at the same time confident players don't lobby for trades. If it were just a matter of Jamison making a team better, why doesnt EVERY contender's superstar lobby like Lebron is?

Cleveland is playing good ball but they are kind of like the Indianapolis Colts of the NBA.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Why would Lebron lobby so hard for a trade thus taking away any leverage cleveland would have if he didnt think a trade is essential? This is common sense. Its not as stupid as saying Delonte West is anything but a very average NBA player but at the same time confident players don't lobby for trades. If it were just a matter of Jamison making a team better, why doesnt EVERY contender's superstar lobby like Lebron is?

Cleveland is playing good ball but they are kind of like the Indianapolis Colts of the NBA.

By this title, I was expecting, ''Duh."
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Del Mar

Quote:

Cleveland could use another wing shooter but in reality who couldn't? There just isnt anyone out there and the Shaq/ Delonte for Caron/Jamison proposed here makes sense in a fantasy league only. First of all there is zero chance that the Wizards would trade for another guy with gun issues in the wake of the Agent zero deal. Secondly Shaq would probably just not report to Washington. Not to mention that Cleveland should intend on using Shaq's expiring contract space to sign Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade in the summer. Cleveland should focus on someone like Kevin Martin who can create his own shot and whose defense can be hidden by the Cavs. Really if they could work a deal for Jamison alone (maybe for Z Ill's expiring contract?) that would solve two problems for them and allow them to match up better with LA in the finals. (Problems being JJ Hicksons minutes and a tall player who can hit an open jumper and be able to more effectively defend Pau)
I was joking about the trade. First of all, the only reason shaq would go is because of Agent Zero's wife. Secondly, Washington wants more than expiring contracts for both of those guys. To get under the luxury tax threshold, they will get rid of one or the other but not both for nothing. The word is that right now Ernie is asking too much for Jamison and that Butler will probably end up in Dallas.

I have heard a lot of people talking about Wade coming to Cleveland. I can't imagine that. Bosh is possible but Lebron will have to do some selling.

Z ill's contract is a problem. LOL. I remember someone talking about that last summer.

Lastly, X man went to Witchita St and always had a aura about him as a man not to be fooled with. I remember when Webber and Howard played in Washington and we were sitting courtside (at cap centre, you could hear them breathe it was so empty) and you could hear Xman completely emasculating both of the wanna be young thugs. Hilarious.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

The only leverage in the NBA when it comes to trades is money. of course you knew that.

Why doesn't everybody's superstar lobby for Jamison? Who else needs a guy like him? Orlando? No. Boston? No. The Lakers? No. Denver? No. They already have players that have a similar game to Jamison. You act like LeBron is running a telethon to raise funds to find a cure. Where are you seeing all this lobbying?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I was joking about the trade. First of all, the only reason shaq would go is because of Agent Zero's wife. Secondly, Washington wants more than expiring contracts for both of those guys. To get under the luxury tax threshold, they will get rid of one or the other but not both for nothing. The word is that right now Ernie is asking too much for Jamison and that Butler will probably end up in Dallas.

I have heard a lot of people talking about Wade coming to Cleveland. I can't imagine that. Bosh is possible but Lebron will have to do some selling.

Z ill's contract is a problem. LOL. I remember someone talking about that last summer.

Lastly, X man went to Witchita St and always had a aura about him as a man not to be fooled with. I remember when Webber and Howard played in Washington and we were sitting courtside (at cap centre, you could hear them breathe it was so empty) and you could hear Xman completely emasculating both of the wanna be young thugs. Hilarious.
They arent gonna get much for those two. Z's contract isn't a problem, it is an asset. Why would you think it is a problem? They have to give Washington something in return for Jamison and cap space would seem to be better than paying a 34 year old guy big money for a bad team. I mean seriously who else would the Wizards want that has value?

Why in the world wouln't Bosh want to play with James? Add him to Cleveland and you have a new, prohibitive favorite. He solves a lot of thier problems and doesnt need the ball in his hands all the time. I don't think Wade would be happy being a complimentary player, especially now in his prime years.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
By this title, I was expecting, ''Duh."
We weren't talking about Eric Snow. (who by the way is by far the worst male analyst on NBAtv, Cheryl Miller is absolutely the worst)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
The only leverage in the NBA when it comes to trades is money. of course you knew that.

Why doesn't everybody's superstar lobby for Jamison? Who else needs a guy like him? Orlando? No. Boston? No. The Lakers? No. Denver? No. They already have players that have a similar game to Jamison. You act like LeBron is running a telethon to raise funds to find a cure. Where are you seeing all this lobbying?
Boston couldnt use Jamison? Sure they could. As could Orlando. Lakers are set. Denver couldnt use a 6-9 forward that can shoot threes, rebound and score in the low post? He wouldnt help atlanta? Get real.

I don't understand your initial statement about leverage and money. Can you clarify?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
We weren't talking about Eric Snow. (who by the way is by far the worst male analyst on NBAtv, Cheryl Miller is absolutely the worst)
Dahla could put both to sleep.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
They arent gonna get much for those two. Z's contract isn't a problem, it is an asset. Why would you think it is a problem? They have to give Washington something in return for Jamison and cap space would seem to be better than paying a 34 year old guy big money for a bad team. I mean seriously who else would the Wizards want that has value?

Why in the world wouln't Bosh want to play with James? Add him to Cleveland and you have a new, prohibitive favorite. He solves a lot of thier problems and doesnt need the ball in his hands all the time. I don't think Wade would be happy being a complimentary player, especially now in his prime years.
Read back. You called Z's contract a problem a few posts ago. You said a trade for Jamison would take care of two problems in one. Come on...have you turned into John Kerry?

Bosh might come to Cleveland but it would take a sell. A lot easier to sell him on Miami I would think than on Cleveland. Maybe the whole weather thing. Maybe Miami might be just a slightly nicer city for a rich, single young man to live. Besides, Bosh could get closer to equal billing with Wade. In Cleveland, he would be much more second fiddle to Lebron.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Boston couldnt use Jamison? Sure they could. As could Orlando. Lakers are set. Denver couldnt use a 6-9 forward that can shoot threes, rebound and score in the low post? He wouldnt help atlanta? Get real.

I don't understand your initial statement about leverage and money. Can you clarify?
Boston needs another aging, power forward making lots of money? What KG and Rasheed arent enough?
Orlando needs another perimeter player? Dont Vince carter and Lewis take enough jumpshots for ya?
Denver? How does he fit in the rotation with Martin, nene, carmello and Birdman?
Atlanta? You think Atlanta is going to add that kind of salary for a guy who is not a difference maker?

You seemingly dont realize that none of these teams have a need that jamison is worth trading for. The guy is old, makes a lot of money and you are stuck with him after this season. Cleveland is the only team that absolutely needs a player of his skill set and would be willing to spend the money.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Boston needs another aging, power forward making lots of money? What KG and Rasheed arent enough?
Orlando needs another perimeter player? Dont Vince carter and Lewis take enough jumpshots for ya?
Denver? How does he fit in the rotation with Martin, nene, carmello and Birdman?
Atlanta? You think Atlanta is going to add that kind of salary for a guy who is not a difference maker?

You seemingly dont realize that none of these teams have a need that jamison is worth trading for. The guy is old, makes a lot of money and you are stuck with him after this season. Cleveland is the only team that absolutely needs a player of his skill set and would be willing to spend the money.
You said it. Thank you. Case closed.

Now what were you saying about money and leverage?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Read back. You called Z's contract a problem a few posts ago. You said a trade for Jamison would take care of two problems in one. Come on...have you turned into John Kerry?

Bosh might come to Cleveland but it would take a sell. A lot easier to sell him on Miami I would think than on Cleveland. Maybe the whole weather thing. Maybe Miami might be just a slightly nicer city for a rich, single young man to live. Besides, Bosh could get closer to equal billing with Wade. In Cleveland, he would be much more second fiddle to Lebron.
I did nothing of the sort. Where did I say his contract was a problem? I said Jamison would take care of two problems 1. Someone to take minutes from Hickson who is lost most of the time and 2.Jamison would be a better matchup on Gasol than anyone else on cleveland.

Wade owns Miami. Bosh is a complimentary player and he knows it. Miami has big problems. No one is going to the games, the owner wont spend any money, they have no one worth a damn on the roster outside of Wade. (Beasley wont ever be more than a 17-9 guy who is a headcase)
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You said it. Thank you. Case closed.

Now what were you saying about money and leverage?
Case closed? The Lakers absolutely needed a guy to run the point for them. Think if Jason Kidd was available for an expiring contract Kobe wouldn't have been all over that? does that mean they arent good enough?

Cleveland has the leverage simply because there are no other teams that have a need for a player with Jamisons skills that have any incentive to add salary. Perhaps Dallas because they may make a move just to do something but who else is there? Supply and Demand. There isnt much demand.