Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Monmouth Park

God bless you Barbaro
Old 07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudery
The only update is that the next 24 hours will be crucial, and that the horse is bright and alert in his stall.

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Ellis Park

Just saw a clip of him in his stall--don't know if it was absolutely current, but both hinds were bandaged/casted . As of now, everything is still being tried for salvation . Jeannine Edwards is recapping now. Barbaro is NOT to be put down immediately . He is bright and eating . The prognosis is still poor . 75% of the left hind hoof was cut away yesterday . The laminitis is thought to have been triggered by the infection in the pastern fracture . Richardson is persevering because thehorse is such a trooper .
Old 07-13-2006, 12:44 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops757
The doc said basicly the same thing.
Sorry. Did not hear the conference.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

God bless you barbaro
Old 07-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Wait, he has pastern issues in his left hind as well?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudery
Just saw a clip of him in his stall--don't know if it was absolutely current, but both hinds were bandaged/casted . As of now, everything is still being tried for salvation . Jeannine Edwards is recapping now. Barbaro is NOT to be put down immediately . He is bright and eating . The prognosis is still poor . 75% of the left hind hoof was cut away yesterday . The laminitis is thought to have been triggered by the infection in the pastern fracture . Richardson is persevering because thehorse is such a trooper .
This is going to sound dumb but why can't they amputate the foot and use a prosthetic?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Santa Anita

i think that's a great question. the major problem at this point is that left foot. it has to be an option.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
This is going to sound dumb but why can't they amputate the foot and use a prosthetic?
They could have amputated the right hind after the trio of fractures, but now the left has laminitis from the weight transfer, so there are no choices ... If the left leg was amputated, weight bearing would be assumed by the broken right hind until the horse found the balance to weight the prosthesis . The right hind couldn't be amputated now, because this would further stress the leg that developed laminitis . That is my take . A horrible situation, but the horse is still trying---so should everyone else . When I say leg, that means either the right damaged leg, or the left foot with laminitis .
Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Hialeah Park

Somebody asked about laminitis...

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...65041&subsec=1

Besides Secretariat, as stated in the article, Sunday Silence also developed complications.

Barbaro, you're in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Monmouth Park

Haven't posted in awhile, and it saddens me that my first post back is on this thread. I can only hope as all of you are that some kind of miracle happens and he pulls through, but the last thing anyone wants to see is this horse suffer anymore than he already has. Everyone involved with Barbaro has been nothing but class since day one and I'm talking way before the Preakness. I can't imagine what his connections are going through right now. My thoughts go out to them and their wonderful Kentucky Derby Champion. His potential was endless and I know Oracle said it in a post a while back, but I think it bears repeating...Not only is he an undefeated Derby winner, he might have been the best ever to run on the turf. That's how I good I think he was. God speed big boy!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Havre de Grace

Amen,Sam! Unbelievable story....
Old 07-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Wait, he has pastern issues in his left hind as well?

no, he developed an infection in his broken leg, and that infection could have been a contributor to him developing laminitis in his other leg...both legs are now in a cast. one for the original injury, the other to support his hoof--since 80% is now gone.

i've been keeping up with his progress while i was away--just got back home a couple hours ago, and read up on the press conference. sounds grim. barbaro has come a long way, here's hoping he can continue his journey HERE.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Ellis Park

The press conference was almost ten hours ago . The horse had a quiet and comfortable afternoon, and was visited by his Fair Hill vet who reported him comfy and recieving treats at 6 pm ... Local news and TV reportage maqy be skewed and out dated . Pictures taken today are up on Yahoo under Sports . The horse looks bright and alert . Dr. Richardson and the Jacksons are basing all treatment on the attitude and functions of the horse . He is doing well considering the graveness of the situation . That is the best we can hope for .
Old 07-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Havre de Grace

I just read on Bloodhorse that the Jacksons were only receiving a trickle of messages now on the New Bolton website. Might be a good time to send them a message of support. I'm sure this has to be their darkest hour. I sent them one, but I got so emotional, I thought wasn't going to be able to finish it, but I did. I think those people at New Bolton and the Jacksons deserve everybody's thanks just for making the effort that they did. God bless them.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Del Mar

Well said Samm. God will do whats right. I just hope this beautiful animal doesnt have to suffer. Hes already sorely missed in this game.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
TogaJunkie

question about laminitis.

How long does it take the infection to heal? I mean where the horse is somewhat out of the woods?

I read that it is gonna take many many months before Barbaro is out.
The more this goes on, the more I am strarting to feel sorry for him, in that stall for so many months, not being able to go outside and be normal. An animal should not live that way.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

And I have a question, too--

I know they now have Barbaro in a sling for several hours a day to, I assume, help keep weight off his feet. Was there a reason they didn't have him in a sling to begin with? What trouble can it cause? Stress? Digestion trouble? What are the pros and cons of having a horse in a sling as part of the healing process?

One of those images stuck in my head from when I was a child was of a horse in a sling, healing from a broken leg. I saw the photo in a kids' magazine, I think.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:14 AM
Saratoga

Video of Barbaro.....

http://cbs3.com/video/?id=28357@kyw.dayport.com
Old 07-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
thanks for the video.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59