Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops757
I will say as dire as it appears. This is the HORSE that can make it!!!!!! Any negative opinions need to be kept to yourself.
Agree completely. I dont give a **** if you think he is going to make it or not, and I dont think anyone else here does either. Lets all just keep hoping and praying (if you believe in that).

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 07-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Barbaro deserves all the credit in the world for persevering this far...let's hope that determination brings him through this latest setback.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
I will say as dire as it appears. This is the HORSE that can make it!!!!!! Any negative opinions need to be kept to yourself.
Expressing either positive or negative opinions will not change the facts.

We all hope this gallant horse pulls through ... but the poster who opined that the horse is not going to make it has every right to do so ... and is probably correct.

Last edited by ateamstupid : 07-13-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Morris Park

Believe me, I'll keep praying.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Hoisttheflag

Horses die, just like people. It is part of life. The important thing is they are trying.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Saratoga

This is going to get ugly REAL quick...Emotions, you gotta love them
Old 07-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Horses die, just like people. It is part of life. The important thing is they are trying.
There's only one way to prevent these fragile animals from getting seriously injured ... and being put down ...

... and that's not to breed them.

As long as the thorougbred exists ... there are going to be tragic breakdowns. Those who can't stand the experience ... will have to eschew any contact whatsoever with the sport.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Santa Anita

Let's face it, a synthetic surface is safer. Your call to just go with the horrific status quo is irresponsible. Dirt cause Barbaro's tragedy and don't anyone forget it.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
Let's face it, a synthetic surface is safer. Your call to just go with the horrific status quo is irresponsible. Dirt cause Barbaro's tragedy and don't anyone forget it.

Stop it. You use ANY injury to get on your soapbox to preach the evils of dirt. Barbaro took a bad step, but there's NO WAY you can prove that the outcome would have been different on a synthetic track. NO WAY. A bad step is a bad step, dirt or not. I haven't heard anyone blame track conditions for this injury, not once. Have some respect and don't push your agenda using this tragedy.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 PM
pgardn

It really is a matter of weighing the horse's discomfort v. survivability. If he is on heavy pain killers, which it sounds like he is, and he gets worse... its not fair to the animal to put him through the extreme pain. That is really what the owners and Doc have got to weigh. They knew this when they tried to save the horse in the first place. An animal that does not have a clue what is going on cannot be allowed to suffer unduly... No matter how bad we all want him to live.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
Stop it. You use ANY injury to get on your soapbox to preach the evils of dirt. Barbaro took a bad step, but there's NO WAY you can prove that the outcome would have been different on a synthetic track. NO WAY. A bad step is a bad step, dirt or not. I haven't heard anyone blame track conditions for this injury, not once. Have some respect and don't push your agenda using this tragedy.
I agree, they could have been running on cotton and with the way that Barbaro conformed his body, he would have gotten hurt on anything...All Polytrack is going to do is lead to all turf racing like in Europe....When that stuff hits California, not one penny of my money will be anywhere near it, only playing the turf races out there
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
According to Richardson, the laminitis is pretty much as bad as it gets. They've removed part of his hoof wall, only 20% is still attached, and he's in a foot cast with foam padding and antiseptic dressings. They're trying to regrow the hoof wall.

They've been teaching him to adapt to a sling, which he's responded to well, and the other pain management techniques are working well. If those techniques stop working, they're going to "quit on the horse, as simple as that."

His chances of survival are "poor." Richardson says he'd be lying if he said anything other than poor. At the same time, as long as the horse is not suffering, they will continue on.

Horses have survived from this condition before, but it is a longshot. If they cannot keep Barbaro comfortable, they will not continue.
This is the exact same problem my little mare had, her hoof too seperated 3/4's of the way around. The only advantage she had is her other front leg was not damaged. It took a total of 16 months, the first few weeks of it were the toughest I have ever endured, I took a leave of abscence from my job to attend to her, she was hospitalized a few weeks. It was a long, emotional, exspensive road... but she beat the odds. I had so many friends and family members praying for her and so does Barbaro, he still has a chance. I was told by the surgeons she had less than a 20% chance of recovery and told tham as long as their was a 1% chance I was all in, I know the Jacksons feel the same way.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
It really is a matter of weighing the horse's discomfort v. survivability. If he is on heavy pain killers, which it sounds like he is, and he gets worse... its not fair to the animal to put him through the extreme pain. That is really what the owners and Doc have got to weigh. They knew this when they tried to save the horse in the first place. An animal that does not have a clue what is going on cannot be allowed to suffer unduly... No matter how bad we all want him to live.
The doc said basicly the same thing.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
Great post, Zippy. I agree.

Nature giveth and she taketh away. Horses are noble, beautiful animals, but they are not built very well; any misstep, by any horse (whether racehorse or not) always has the potential to be fatal. You can't put fences around them in the hopes that nothing will happen and I don't believe you can "fix" every potential wrong in horse racing (changing the tracks, etc......). The fact is, horses will always break down because they are very fragile animals; they will always be susceptible to infection because of their anatomy. Nothing human beings can do, no artificial changes we make, will change the nature of beast.

The only good thing that came out of this tragedy is that non-racing fans have seen that these animals are well-loved and taken care of.

Poor Barbaro - I just hope he doesn't linger in pain for very long. What a shame; I guess I fooled myself into thinking that he was over the hump.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
bull****....

you polytrackers are getting to be as bad as the pro-lifers
Old 07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Sheepshead Bay

ESPN news giving an up dat now01:12.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
ESPN news giving an up dat now01:12.

Anything new?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Ellis Park

The only being whose opinion is not heard here is Barbaro's . His attitude, fortitude and eyes will do the talking . So far they are saying YES . It is not up to us to judge what he can or cannot tolerate, nor do we understand whether he suffers more or less . A recovery process realistically includes pain and suffering . His prognosis may be poor, but this animal is rich in courage and sensibilty . Salute that.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Ellis Park

The only update is that the next 24 hours will be crucial, and that the horse is bright and alert in his stall.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
bull****....

you polytrackers are getting to be as bad as the pro-lifers
... and the pro-deathers.