Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Del Mar

Default Steroid Debate on Symposium Agenda

At the upcoming meeting next week, influential people on the Racing Medication and Testing Symposium are going to recommend that steroid use in racehorses be regulated. At the present time, there is no regualtion in this country. We are the only country in the world that does not regulate the use of anabolic steroids in racehorses.

We are always talking about possible reasons as to why horses in this country are so fragile. The rampant and unregulated use of steroids could be a factor.

Here is the article about the upcoming meeting:

http://drf.com/news/article/80969.html

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 12-02-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Dee Tee Stables

until there is one national governing body for racing, i don't see a lot of success in regulating this. kind of like every other subject under the sun regarding racing. i feel there should be a ban on steroids, to hell with regulating.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Oriental Park

Steroids should be illegal in horseracing, and legal for human use
Old 12-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Blue Eyes

If they are going to regulate steriod use in race horses, they should also regulate steriod use in the sales, especially the yearling and two-yr. old market. No yearling should look like a three yr. old ready for the races. I blame steriods for half the reason these two yr. olds from the sales don't make it to the races. Steriods cause premature growth plate closure. And people wonder why we don't have sound race horses.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

as for the sales, there should be full disclosure on those horses. details should be given along with the pedigree regarding meds, surgeries, etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Flemington

Doesn't Clenbuterol (in the appropriate doses) act like steroids do? Would seem that is why Lake keeps getting caught with horses having too high of levels of it.He can always say he was using it for respiratory problems,and that it is unfortunate that once in a while a horse will have an elevated level of the drug despite the fact that it was given no more than the typical horse he runs(freak biological incident.)Like he says,if you run this many horses,freaky things happen.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Doesn't Clenbuterol (in the appropriate doses) act like steroids do? Would seem that is why Lake keeps getting caught with horses having too high of levels of it.He can always say he was using it for respiratory problems,and that it is unfortunate that once in a while a horse will have an elevated level of the drug despite the fact that it was given no more than the typical horse he runs(freak biological incident.)Like he says,if you run this many horses,freaky things happen.

i think clenbuterol is legal up to 72 hrs out, i can see a mishap here or there but frequent misuse i dont know. i will say this about some of the top trainers in the land they get ALL of their horses on a "program". those who are also involved inside know exactly what im referring to. back to clenbuterol lol its not cheap shiat i think it costs about$400 for a months supply for 1 horse
Old 12-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Gulfstream Park

weve talked about roids before in horses on this board. the general consensus of many on the backside is if youre not usuing them youre giving a advantage to the majority of your competition. my horse was on them for one month and i immediately halted it after that. all it did was made him more crazy in the stall. there are positive uses for it in the animal such as a bad eater which my horse never is nor never will be LOL
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
until there is one national governing body for racing, i don't see a lot of success in regulating this. kind of like every other subject under the sun regarding racing. i feel there should be a ban on steroids, to hell with regulating.
Hear, hear! The lack of a national governing body is holding this sport back as much as anything. Can you imagine PGA golf with different club and ball standards in every different state they play in? Or stock car racing? In this day and age, it is absurd to have state-by-state regulation of a national sport.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Dee Tee Stables

the ntra really needs to push for this. granted states have differing rules on the gambling aspects of the game, but as far as meds and the like..there is NO reason not to have one set of rules nationwide. the owners need to push for this. they are the ones with the bankroll. they are the ones who provide the product. it would be in their best interest. after all, grading of races is handled by one body, so why can't there be one set of racing rules??? just imagine the situation racing would be in if grading was handled on a track by track or state by state basis. it would be a disaster!!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Flemington

How typical of the industry:

"What we'll be doing is laying out the case for why regulation is necessary, and why it's a good idea," Waterman said. "I don't think anyone is ready yet for the actual regulations."

Just like they all know the breeding industry is hurting the sport of racing, but all remain short-sided and deep-pocketed. How do they plan to market a sport if the people who are running it are only willing to admit the problems and not taking the steps to correct them?