Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Narragansett Park

The real culprit here is not the Breeder's Cup. It's the owners and breeders!!! You now have a totally different agenda than in the past. In the past, most horse owners really wanted to win races. They enjoyed the sport. They want the excitement and prestige of watching a horse who represented them, and ran in their colors, cross the line first. They wanted to hoist a trophy. Now, unfortunately, their is an agenda to create a specific profile for the breeding shed. This requires most horses to be pushed ahrd before they a really ready and to be run harder early. As soon as you win one good (even a weak G2 will suffice) race, you avoid having your image tarnished. You stick to easy spots or just retire. This is all predicated by a "try to get out ahead on this horse" - breeding shed mentality. It is really sad. A second, but less important overall, side effect of the breeding/sales explosion has been that the Darley folks often own many good horses in the same divisions. I can understand them not wanting to beat themselves, but at the cost of having any exciting racing???

Who knows what the answer is? Maybe if the folks at the stud farms had higher standards for the stallions they would stand. Maybe if the buyers at the sales had higher standards of the accomplishments of the stallions of whom they would purchase offspring. It seems that the champion caliber handicap horse with fifteen career wins is becoming as common as a unicorn.

Whatever the case, I think they should determine the champions in each division through a predetermined racing point system. Take it out of the voters hands. That way you have to RUN to win it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Sun King should be in this race. Mistake city.
I couldn't agree more. The owner should take this horse from Zito. I would be pissed if I owned him and my trainer missed this opportunity.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:16 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
I couldn't agree more. The owner should take this horse from Zito. I would be pissed if I owned him and my trainer missed this opportunity.
Yeah its not like Nick hasn't done a spectacular job for Farmer huh? I'm sure if he wanted the horse to run, he would have.
Nick set a course, Farmer is a fierce and proud Kentuckian and the BC is in his backyard this year.
They then have the Clark afterwards if they want to attempt to get the elusive grade one. If they race him here it may put him over the top. You realy should stick to what you know, and at this point I still can't tell if there is anything you know.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Yes its 4 horses but let's not have a defeatist attitude and try to make the best of it.

Mine 200$ straight Bernardini over Andromeda's Hero. Feel strongly that the 2 horse is Andromeda's. In fact with the bridge jumpers in full effect a good bet might be Andromeda's to place and hope that something is amiss with Bernardini and he's off the board. The place prices will be ridiculous.

Wanderin Boy--yes controlling speed but I don't think he wants to go this far and I expect Bernie to be close to him pressing him. He'll fade. The Euro is anyone's guess but I'll take my chances against him. With Oratorio taking my money and the great Starcraft up the track last year, its a show me world---and the Euros generally do not do well on the dirt in these spots.

i agree. these are my thoughts exactly on this race.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I believe he is still running down the Belmont stretch as we speak.
That horse ran a heck of a race in the BC given what he was up against. Saint Liam was much the best but if that horse gets a better post and more luck, he possibly gets 2nd/3rd....

He was checked more in the race then he actually got to run
Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
That horse ran a heck of a race in the BC given what he was up against. Saint Liam was much the best but if that horse gets a better post and more luck, he possibly gets 2nd/3rd....

He was checked more in the race then he actually got to run
Did Blockhead possess you?

I remember he hated St. Liam and loved Starcraft, he got some whacked out idea that since it was NY that they gave Starcraft a bad post and gave St. Liam a good one, too bad they were right next to each other, god that was funny...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Arlington Park

Not to get off track ..., cold ex... Bern/Ando. Agree with Randall. But, what's the point? $5 for $2? Not for me.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Hollywood Park

Says in USA Today ML

Bernar 1/2
Dylan Thomas 2/1 LOL
Wanderin Boy 5/1
Andromeda's Hero 15/1

Do they know something about Dylan Thomas that know one else does???
Old 10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Hialeah Park

Wanderin Boy/Bernardini
Old 10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Sha Tin

Chalk 2 speed number Bernardini - Wandering Boy $5.20 exacta

Wanderin Boy will set easy fractions with Berardini laying a length behind till the turn where he will pass him and open up 3. Dylan will be eased late and AH will get hopelessly behind and rally for 3rd - 11 lengths behind the eased up winner.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Not to get off track ..., cold ex... Bern/Ando. Agree with Randall. But, what's the point? $5 for $2? Not for me.
It will pay more than 5$ Sent2.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Del Mar

They never intended to run Invasor here unless Bern got ill.

Then why didnt the connections just come out and say this 3-4 weeks ago, rather than flat out lie about it? I read articles quoting Mcglaughlin saying he thought Bernardini was a great horse but he thought Invasor was up to the task, blah blah blah. Why all the lies? Why falsely promote a matchup that they never intended to have happen? Lies.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Del Mar

Randall, I cant see that exacta wont pay more than $8. I like Wanderin Boy a lot more and unlike Andromedas Hero, he actually has a shot to win if Bernardini isnt 100% and the pace goes a certain way. He is a lot better of a horse than most give him credit for. I think Zito really thinks he can win this and so do I. This coming from somebody who thinks Bernardini is the real deal.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Randall, I cant see that exacta wont pay more than $8. I like Wanderin Boy a lot more and unlike Andromedas Hero, he actually has a shot to win if Bernardini isnt 100% and the pace goes a certain way. He is a lot better of a horse than most give him credit for. I think Zito really thinks he can win this and so do I. This coming from somebody who thinks Bernardini is the real deal.
I thought Wanderin was very unimpressive last out. Things his own way and went slowly. I think he's actually not nearly in the kind of form he was in the spring. Couldn't fathom him on top.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Hollywood Park

I could def see Wanderin Boy winning but ALOT things got to go his way. Maybe a little mud on the track?? Dylan Thomas bumping Bernardini at the gate??

Biggest problem for him might be the distance and IF IF Bernardini runs with him can they both stand the charge from the back?? Andromeda's Hero not a great horse but we have all seen it before when horses die in the stretch
Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
They never intended to run Invasor here unless Bern got ill.

Then why didnt the connections just come out and say this 3-4 weeks ago, rather than flat out lie about it? I read articles quoting Mcglaughlin saying he thought Bernardini was a great horse but he thought Invasor was up to the task, blah blah blah. Why all the lies? Why falsely promote a matchup that they never intended to have happen? Lies.
WHy say it 3-4 weeks out? They had every intention of running him I believe, provided something caused Bern to miss the race. I had no doubt that they wouldn't meet, none.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Keeneland

Cold exacta:

Wanderin Boy over Bernardini.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Chalk 2 speed number Bernardini - Wandering Boy $5.20 exacta

Wanderin Boy will set easy fractions with Berardini laying a length behind till the turn where he will pass him and open up 3. Dylan will be eased late and AH will get hopelessly behind and rally for 3rd - 11 lengths behind the eased up winner.
Well I missed the exacta price by .60 but called it pretty good with the Dylan Thomas easing and AH getting beat 12 instead of 11. Not everyday that you cash a $5.80 exacta and be happy but there was almost no other plausable result.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Tropical Park

Look at the facts people. KM came back and said Invasor's blood work was fine. What the hell kind of infection was that? Obviously not much of one.

And if Bernardini had run poorly then Discreet Cat would have miraculously appeared in the BC Classic.

The sheiks have American racing by the gonads. Pure and simple.