Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Hialeah Park

Default Gone Girl

Anyone see it yet? What did you think?

I, for one, thought it was excellent. Had to convince my better half of it on the way home though (she didn't like the ending).
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Del Mar

Great acting by all. Affleck in particular was terrific. I had not read the book going in strictly off the previews etc. The first half of the film was in my opinion totally working on a mystery level. I had a bit of a problem with the all of a sudden THUST into that mystery element being taken away. Without spoiling anything, anyone who has seen the picture knows what i mean? But it is a well acted film and very watchable, i was not crazy about the ending. Not that everything has to be played out in films, or certainly not always expecting a happy ending, but in this case it did leave my wife and I a bit wanting another outcome. A bit of a mixed review i suppose, but very well acted film.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem0822 View Post
Great acting by all. Affleck in particular was terrific. I had not read the book going in strictly off the previews etc. The first half of the film was in my opinion totally working on a mystery level. I had a bit of a problem with the all of a sudden THUST into that mystery element being taken away. Without spoiling anything, anyone who has seen the picture knows what i mean? But it is a well acted film and very watchable, i was not crazy about the ending. Not that everything has to be played out in films, or certainly not always expecting a happy ending, but in this case it did leave my wife and I a bit wanting another outcome. A bit of a mixed review i suppose, but very well acted film.
Agreed on all counts. Affleck is my favorite actor in Hollywood (an opinion that I share w/ nobody it seems lol)

Has a sequel written all over it, imo.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Agreed on all counts. Affleck is my favorite actor in Hollywood (an opinion that I share w/ nobody it seems lol)

Do we know if another book was written? Same lady who wrote the book, also wrote the screenplay. In terms of Ben, he's very talented there's no doubt. Not sure about him as Batman coming up lol, but a talented actor, writer, and director. A trifecta threat lol.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Del Mar

Quote:

Haven't seen it yet but on my list..

Bout 10 years ago or so my son (also a movie buff) and I declared Affleck, we called him afflicted and McConaughey two of the worst actors in the biz..last 5 years or so we turned that around to top 5

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Del Mar

Just saw this..

Box Office: Brad Pitt’s ‘Fury’ Edges Out ‘Book of Life,’ ‘Gone Girl’.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...%99/ar-BB9ZstV

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 10-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Anyone see it yet? What did you think?

I, for one, thought it was excellent. Had to convince my better half of it on the way home though (she didn't like the ending).
Pretty epic IMO. In the beginning we were there talking about who we thought did it, everyone was lost. The middle was a bit slow, but it picked right up when she opened the X up. I thought Rosamund Pike's performance was amazing and she totally stole the show from Batman. Though they were both great, but you expect that from Ben. Everything he touches latley is gold..... The Town and Argo and even State of Play and The Company Men.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Flemington

Quote:

I love Affleck. I prefer Gosling and Dicaprio though.
We should spoiler alert this because I know how the movie should have ended.....
Old 10-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Oaklawn

Great movie with a weak ending.