Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr
Awesome info Todko. The Keeneland contest you're talking about is the one they do at the end of July right? I was thinking about doin that one, but $$$ was a little tight so I passed.

The one they do the first weekend in December is top notch. It was very tough last year. I was a neck away from a top-10 finish (I had a longshot in one of the final contest-eligable races that finished 2nd by a neck)... but the very first contest-eligable race that day, R1 at Calder, a big longshot won the race. Longshots were hittin all day and people in that contest were nailin 'em.

I remember in Keeneland's December contest last year, that they announced that there were spots available for the Turfway contest the next day. My question about Turfway's contest- do they assign the races you bet on, or do they let you choose the ones you bet on like they do at Keeneland?

As for the tote-board sytem to see who's the leader, Canterbury does that too. But the difference is, that Canterbury gives you a wagering card and you put $$$ into the card. And it keeps the results for you. It's not that paper-punch thing you were talkin about.

Keeneland in July had a mix of mandatory races and optional races. Turfway does the same thing. If I remember, last year at Turfway they had 6 mandatory races from the Turfway card and 6 optionals that you could choose from the cards at Calder, Fairgrounds (at that time playing at Louisiana Downs), Aqueduct, and the remainder of the Turfway card.

A lot of players who fly in for the Keeneland contest sign-up for Turfway also as it's only about 80 miles from Keeneland. I only play one or the other, usually Turfway. To handicap two contests on a weekend is a lot of work. Last year, my friend flew in from Vancouver and cashed in both of the contests.

Turfway is committed to improving their contest. Last year they used paper cards with a player number on it. The contest clerks used a paper punch and manually entered the player number and selection into the tote system. Keeneland now uses the hard plastic card and clerk just swipes it (Churchill does it the same way).

I live about 45 minutes north of Turfway (on the Ohio side). Things are improving there -- the polytrack is much better this year with the latest big revisions.

I see you're in Minnesota. I was born in Duluth. Never have been to Canterbury. Some day.

Last edited by todko : 09-22-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Fairgrounds

Todko,
I actually flew into Cincy from Minneapolis for last year's contest. Last year I was ignorant to the fact that Turfway was having their contest the next day until I got to Keeneland and they announced it there. But I had to be back to work on Sunday anyways, so I wouldn't of been able to make it (my work schedule at my job back then was Sun-Thur).

Believe it or not, it was actually cheaper to fly into Cincy, and rent a car, than it was to fly into Lexington. So I did that last year. Cincy seems to be a lil more happenin than Lex, so I'll prolly intentionally do it that way if the price is right. 2 years ago I flew into Lexington, and took a cab. But I liked having the rental car so I'll do that again this time. Last year, right before I left for the airport to go home, I stopped by Turfway to check it out... It's clean enough... but very tacky. But I love betting the place.

This year I will try to do both contests. A lot of people I know will 'cap their races the night before. But that's never been my style. I'm always one who waits 'til about 5-10 minutes before post time, before I'll even start looking at a race. So that's a style that works for doing both contests. For this same reason is why you'll probably never see me post in the "selections" part of this website. I never know until I get to the track who I'm betting on (except for the Derby and B.C. Day).

Reason why? Conditions change, and more importantly, odds change. Also, in wide-open races (the good ones for contests), there's a lot of indecision between who I wanna commit my bet to. With only a little bit of time 'til post it forces me to make up my mind. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. There are times where I'm deciding between 2 horses, and the one I don't choose goes on to crush the field lol. And I'm kickin myself for lookin hard at him, but not taking him ( I think we've all been there though lol). But it's a strategy that has worked a lot for me as well.

How long did you live in Duluth? What made you move to Ohio? Canterburry is a lot different place now that it was when it was "the downs" back in the 80s and early 90s. It re-opened in '95 and has a card club on the bottom level now that is extremely popular with that Poker Craze that's goin on these days. The place is nice and clean (not Keeneland nice, but it's a lot better than Turfyway lol), and it's well-run.

Last edited by pmayjr : 09-22-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Tropical Park

pmayjr,

Didn't live long in Duluth. Born there, then shipped to Alaska. Father was in the Air Force. After he retired, we moved here to Ohio so he could work for the US government at Wright-Patterson AFB. Mom's born in Duluth and we have a lot of family in the Twin Cities area.

It is a way off, but let me know if you're coming into town for the contests at KEE and TP. TP is looking better know and they have actually invested a little money in the place with the poly and new paddock.

The revised (again) poly is much better with less kickback and running times closer to dirt. The first poly was a disaster as far as kickback goes.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Fairgrounds

I finally got the entry form in the mail last week. I'll make my travel arrangements this coming week. I should be flying into Cincy and driving down to Lexington from there. Anyone else considering going now that a few months have passed?
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...