Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
The Curragh

Default Went to the doctor and...

I am a walking time bomb at age 28, turns out I have super high cholesterol. They dont wanna put me on meds just yet cause im so young and I could still get it under control with diet. Any suggestions or help? I started the oatmeal thing today. No more fries and corned beef sandwiches
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Coach Pants

in before docicu3
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
I am a walking time bomb at age 28, turns out I have super high cholesterol. They dont wanna put me on meds just yet cause im so young and I could still get it under control with diet. Any suggestions or help? I started the oatmeal thing today. No more fries and corned beef sandwiches
Add a teaspoon cinnamon to your oatmeal <g> Thank goodness it was caught! Good for you.

Seriously, go to the website (google) and get the Biggest Loser cookbooks. Really delicious stuff and tons of ideas on how to eat every day (not how to diet).

Get a small cheap panini grill, you can grill up chicken or fish or lean beef in minutes, use light olive oil and prepackaged herbs to season, microwave some frozen veggies and you are in healthy (and cheap $$) heaven.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Metamucil twice a day
Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Coach Pants

Go to the grocery and look for this in the cereal isle.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Yea for the Doc! I wouldn't take a statin drug on a bet......irreversible muscle damage! Take Riots advice (cant belive I just said that) about oatmeal and cinnamon. Losing weight is Americas pastime.....so stay focused and pro-active on not just dropping weight, but becoming healthy. Don't worry too much about the corned beef and fries.....waking up the next day is a better deal! Good luck
Old 11-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Randwyck

Start Walking & when you cant walk anymore start running, best thing of all it's free
Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

if it's cooked in oil, don't eat it.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Havre de Grace

Your chances of success will go up if you have a partner in the game! you have to be accountable to somebody who has your best interests/goals at heart. Smaller meals throughout the day will help your mind not to think of all the "good stuff" you're missing.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
The Curragh

thanks for the responses guys, gonna keep it healthy now

Danzig..AMEN!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_idol
Start Walking & when you cant walk anymore start running, best thing of all it's free
absolute truth. Get your heart rate above 100 bpm for 20 minutes every day and life is good.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Flemington

I'll put you through the Sightseek program:

5-6 days a week at the gym (3 days heavy weights & 1/2 hour on the elliptical);
1 horse jumping lesson per week;
and nothing but natural whole foods, but lots of it!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek

what are natural whole foods?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
what are natural whole foods?
Nothing packaged and processed.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
The Curragh

produce dept
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek

i think i can swing that minus the horse jumping lesson im afraid. Thanks sightseek
Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Goodwood

It's pretty sad how few people understand what cholesterol is and what it does.

Dietary sources of cholesterol are trivial, as your body makes most of the cholesterol you have.

Your body makes cholesterol as a response to a problem that is happening inside of you. These problems are often caused by bad diet, which is why eating healthier tends to lead to lower cholesterol levels in your body.

The statin drugs doctors like to prescribe willy nilly are really much worse for you than the supposed villain they are supposed to reduce. Besides muscle damage, they will destroy your liver and lead to many other problems from the side effects, which will then start a seemingly endless cascade of meds you must take to correct those side effects.

Within twenty years, nobody will be taking statin drugs any longer and this period will be looked upon with amazement and wonder at how people could be so easily duped into believing in them. This has happened many times before with medical practices and beliefs. For instance, they used to drill holes into people to bleed them, with the intent of getting rid of bad spirits.

Here is an excerpt on the cholesterol myth from the Weston Price website. You can find out lots more by using Google to search for 'cholesterol myth' as well.

------------------

What about Cholesterol?

And what about cholesterol? Here, too, the public has been misinformed. Our blood vessels can become damaged in a number of ways-through irritations caused by free radicals or viruses, or because they are structurally weak-and when this happens, the body's natural healing substance steps in to repair the damage. That substance is cholesterol. Cholesterol is a high-molecular-weight alcohol that is manufactured in the liver and in most human cells. Like saturated fats, the cholesterol we make and consume plays many vital roles:

Along with saturated fats, cholesterol in the cell membrane gives our cells necessary stiffness and stability. When the diet contains an excess of polyunsaturated fatty acids, these replace saturated fatty acids in the cell membrane, so that the cell walls actually become flabby. When this happens, cholesterol from the blood is "driven" into the tissues to give them structural integrity. This is why serum cholesterol levels may go down temporarily when we replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated oils in the diet.46

Cholesterol acts as a precursor to vital corticosteroids, hormones that help us deal with stress and protect the body against heart disease and cancer; and to the sex hormones like androgen, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone.

Cholesterol is a precursor to vitamin D, a very important fat-soluble vitamin needed for healthy bones and nervous system, proper growth, mineral metabolism, muscle tone, insulin production, reproduction and immune system function.

The bile salts are made from cholesterol. Bile is vital for digestion and assimilation of fats in the diet.

Recent research shows that cholesterol acts as an antioxidant.47 This is the likely explanation for the fact that cholesterol levels go up with age. As an antioxidant, cholesterol protects us against free radical damage that leads to heart disease and cancer.

Cholesterol is needed for proper function of serotonin receptors in the brain.48 Serotonin is the body's natural "feel-good" chemical. Low cholesterol levels have been linked to aggressive and violent behavior, depression and suicidal tendencies.

Mother's milk is especially rich in cholesterol and contains a special enzyme that helps the baby utilize this nutrient. Babies and children need cholesterol-rich foods throughout their growing years to ensure proper development of the brain and nervous system.

Dietary cholesterol plays an important role in maintaining the health of the intestinal wall.49 This is why low-cholesterol vegetarian diets can lead to leaky gut syndrome and other intestinal disorders.

Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease but rather a potent antioxidant weapon against free radicals in the blood, and a repair substance that helps heal arterial damage (although the arterial plaques themselves contain very little cholesterol.) However, like fats, cholesterol may be damaged by exposure to heat and oxygen. This damaged or oxidized cholesterol seems to promote both injury to the arterial cells as well as a pathological buildup of plaque in the arteries.50 Damaged cholesterol is found in powdered eggs, in powdered milk (added to reduced-fat milks to give them body) and in meats and fats that have been heated to high temperatures in frying and other high-temperature processes.

High serum cholesterol levels often indicate that the body needs cholesterol to protect itself from high levels of altered, free-radical-containing fats. Just as a large police force is needed in a locality where crime occurs frequently, so cholesterol is needed in a poorly nourished body to protect the individual from a tendency to heart disease and cancer. Blaming coronary heart disease on cholesterol is like blaming the police for murder and theft in a high crime area.

Poor thyroid function (hypothyroidism) will often result in high cholesterol levels. When thyroid function is poor, usually due to a diet high in sugar and low in usable iodine, fat-soluble vitamins and other nutrients, the body floods the blood with cholesterol as an adaptive and protective mechanism, providing a superabundance of materials needed to heal tissues and produce protective steroids. Hypothyroid individuals are particularly susceptible to infections, heart disease and cancer.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Flemington

Dr. Frischling strikes again.

Would have made a great name for a soda as well .... sort of like Dr. Pepper for Jews.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Eat alot of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, etc. You obviously need to cut way back on junk food. As you said, you need to avoid fried foods like french fries. You can eat french fries once or twice a month, but you certainly don't want to eat them very often.

If you like eating chips, only buy baked chips, not fried chips.

You obviously don't want to eat alot of red meat. If you want to have red meat a couple times a month, it probably won't hurt you. Just don't overdue it.

As others have said, it is important to get some exercise but you don't need to become an exercise fanatic. If you get 20 minutes of cardio excercise around 4 times a week that should be enough. Rather than jogging for 20 minutes straight, I much prefer to do run/walks. I sprint 100 yards, then walk for 3 minutes, sprint 100 yards, then walk for 3 minutes and I repeat this for 20 minutes. New research has shown that this is even better for you than jogging for 20 minutes straight. The run/walk regimen burns just as many calories as jogging and the heart benefits are at least as good if not better.

Weight training is very good for you too. If you can get to the gym 2-3 times a week, that is very good for you. Not only does it build muscle but it strengthens your bones.

An additional thing that is very important that is finally starting to be publicized is the necessity of getting some sun exposure. Try to get out in the sun for about 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a week. The sun is our main source of Vitamin D, which is essential for good health. A lack of Vitamin D can cause all kinds of health problems. Many people have Vitamin D deficiencies and don't even know it. It is rarely diagnosed because most doctors do not check Vitamin D levels when you get a physical. You actually need to ask them to include it in the bloodwork, otherwise they won't do it. I am actually going to have my Vitamin D level checked when I go in for my next physical because I have never had mine checked before. When you go out in the sun for 15-20 minutes, do not wear sun-screen. Sun-screan will block out the Vitamin D. If you're going to be out in the sun for a long time and you're going to get burned, then you need to put on some sun-block. But you don't want to put on sun-block if you're just going outside for 20 minutes.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 11-06-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
The Curragh

thanks Rupert, I am taking everything in and putting it into action.