Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Sciacca still on Cloud 9 after Snacks' Classic victory; Cigar Mile could be next

ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainer Gary Sciacca was still beaming with pride on Sunday morning after having successfully coached Saratoga Snacks from off the bench onto a three-quarter-length victory in the $250,000 Empire Classic at Belmont Park.

"We made the right decision going long," said Sciacca, who along with Saratoga Snacks' owner, NFL Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells, debated whether to run in the 1 1/8-mile Classic or the six-furlong Hudson Handicap on Empire Showcase Day presented by The Fund. "When I spoke with Bill, it was, 'Do we go long? Short?' It was a toss-up. He was dead-fit for the three-quarter race. He's a big horse, the question was, would he get up in time? In his last race [the John Morrissey], he was the best, but with the trouble, he was too big to overcome it. Yesterday, I didn't know they were going to go three quarters in 1:10, and he was engaging at that point. He's a fighter. He's an athlete. Bill says he's like getting a Lawrence Taylor."

Sciacca spoke glowingly of the experience of training for Parcells.

"It was a real team effort getting this horse ready to run, and having a guy like Bill, who was so understanding, was part of it," said Sciacca, who got to know Parcells through New York Giants Hall of Famer Sam Huff, also an owner. "Training for Bill, it's like training for him and the 10,000 people who are watching him. It's a thrill. We talk every day, maybe two or three times. He's in my corner. He showed me that when he took me to the Hall of Fame [induction ceremony]. They had a party for the seven inductees and their families, and I got to sit with them. He's got some following. Some people don't like him, some people love him, but they all respect him. Now with a horse, a different aspect of his life, they're all on top of it. They're all watching it. He said he got text after text after text last night. When they're winning, it's always great."

While Parcells was in Florida and unable to personally share in the victory, the trainer was able to celebrate in Manhattan with another of Saratoga Snacks' fans, celebrity chef Bobby Flay.

"Bobby wanted to watch the race at home before he had to go host the 'Tacos and Tequila' event [at the New York City Wine and Food Festival]," said Sciacca. "In fact, the first text I got after the race was from Bobby: 'Awesome!' But after having such a great day at the races, the traffic coming into the city at 8 p.m. destroyed me. I was going nuts. I left the car by a hydrant by where the ships come in. My wife said, 'They might take it' and I said, 'If they do, we'll get it out of the pound later.' We finally got there at 9 p.m. and had a quick couple of tacos and then Bobby had a limousine take us to this famous Chinese restaurant. At one o'clock, they were still partying and I said, 'The guy with the car, can he take me to my car? I have to get up in the morning.' Luckily, when we got there, the car was still there."

When Sciacca arrived at the barn, he said Saratoga Snacks was bright-eyed and full of energy after his first race in 2 ˝ months. By 11 a.m., the ridgling had his head deep in his feed tub.

"Joel [Rosario] said at the eighth pole, when he saw the other horse coming, he could feel him getting ready for the challenge and there was no way another horse was going to get by him," said Sciacca. "We'll see what's happening before we decide what's next for him. We may give him the winter off; maybe run him once or twice more. The Cigar Mile [Grade 1, November 30, Aqueduct Racetrack] is an option. He'll let us know."
Great strory, thanks for posting Steve..Gary has maintained his good sense of humor over the years.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

In my head, I read that entire story in Gary's voice. He's one of a kind.