Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Turf Paradise

Im still waiting to find that synthetic horse that hates dirt. It's the other way around. The West Coast horses are just better this year. And the poly is better conditioning. Well Armed by 14 enough said.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoist Her Flag
Im still waiting to find that synthetic horse that hates dirt. It's the other way around. The West Coast horses are just better this year. And the poly is better conditioning. Well Armed by 14 enough said.
hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

While I prefer Hockey's response....I will give you a few off the top of my head.....Adriano, Monba and Cowboy Cal.

Better conditioning? See Hockey's previous response.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
One at a time.....

Maybe Papa Clem hated the mud....and more it says that the Arkansas Derby field sucked ( Old Fashioned is OK but severly distance challenged ).

General Quarters had a lousy trip in the Tampa Bay Derby, beat crows today, and probably improved on the fake turf.

Pioneer of the Nile is a turf/synthetic horse who barely beat dirt horses on a surface they didn't particularly care for....but will drown him on their preferred surface ( and his least favorite surface ) in a few weeks.
I agree that judging Papa Clem based on an off track race where he cut the pace is probably not the way to go. And, there are just so many perfect trips in a given year for Friesen Fire. So, anyone wanting him in the Derby will be in for a very rude awakening.

But while I want to believe that Old Fashioned is distanced challenged, as this is constantly being put out there, I'm not sure that I saw that today. What I did see is a jock STYLING while seriously NAPPING on a horse with an easy lead, that got passed and continued on very gamely on the inside to the wire. In fact, OF appeared to be making some of the ground back. Distance challenged horses typically give it up when they're passed. A more attentive ride by the jock is all it would've taken today.

Not sure that I can reconcile General Quarters' performance today with his getting a 'lousy' trip last out. He didn't get the best of trips but it certainly wasn't a very bad one. He ran much better today -- poly or otherwise.

As for POTN, he never struck me as anything more than a workmanlike performer. He tries hard and beats what they put him in against. I understand that he's presently the POLY HATERS whipping boy but all the horse can do it run where they put him. If he fails on the dirt, SO ****IN WHAT!!!! He goes back to the POLY and TURF and carves out a decent career.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Dee Tee Stables

seems a couple horses from out west last year didn't do so well on poly, ran ok on dirt, but still didn't make much of a dent in kentucky. gayego immediately leaps to mind. seems like some of the horses pyro beat up on last year in LA had success elsewhere. pyro of course fell on his face in ky, and hasn't done much since then to redeem himself-so that should rule out giving much weight to friesan fire. and yes, i know it's a new year. i also know he hasn't run past 1 1/16th, and is taking a seven week breather before the derby. i'm not so sure both those moves can be overcome, along with a 20 horse field.

as for what a horse is bred for-all you can really say for sure is that they're bred to run. some of course do it faster than others. other than that, until they try a surface, it's all conjecture. i wouldn't bet one red cent at the derby on pioneerofthenile fwiw. the 10f distance and large field are the only two new things these horses should face that day.

and as for how well armed finished in dubai, that's just hilarious. he's not much, and didn't face much. the fact he's the top rated dirt horse in the world is a riot.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Turf Paradise

Default why does he have to win

Why does the Pioneer of Nothing have to win the Derby. Good horses lose races. Colonel John won the Travers. The horses is bred to run all day long. He has been working bullets since January 1st along with IWR. Papa Clem has worked bullets all spring. Next Week when Square Eddie runs in the Top 3 another Synthetic horse who has been in training all spring.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
hahahahahahahahahaha
well said.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Terrain is a complete mediocrity who can't even make a dent in a race that fell in his lap on his preferred surface.
The Ky. Derby always seems to allow for Terrain-types to hit the board quite often... Denis of Cork, Imawildandcrazyguy, Steppenwolfer... there always seems to be one.

Quote:
Maybe Papa Clem hated the mud....and more it says that the Arkansas Derby field sucked ( Old Fashioned is OK but severly distance challenged ).
To PC's credit he did show a new dimension today as he's mainly been a pace/pace presser type. I didn't bet him because I thought he would do what OF did and weaken late instead he screwed me a different way.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I agree that judging Papa Clem based on an off track race where he cut the pace is probably not the way to go. And, there are just so many perfect trips in a given year for Friesen Fire. So, anyone wanting him in the Derby will be in for a very rude awakening.

But while I want to believe that Old Fashioned is distanced challenged, as this is constantly being put out there, I'm not sure that I saw that today. What I did see is a jock STYLING while seriously NAPPING on a horse with an easy lead, that got passed and continued on very gamely on the inside to the wire. In fact, OF appeared to be making some of the ground back. Distance challenged horses typically give it up when they're passed. A more attentive ride by the jock is all it would've taken today.

Not sure that I can reconcile General Quarters' performance today with his getting a 'lousy' trip last out. He didn't get the best of trips but it certainly wasn't a very bad one. He ran much better today -- poly or otherwise.

As for POTN, he never struck me as anything more than a workmanlike performer. He tries hard and beats what they put him in against. I understand that he's presently the POLY HATERS whipping boy but all the horse can do it run where they put him. If he fails on the dirt, SO ****IN WHAT!!!! He goes back to the POLY and TURF and carves out a decent career.
nothing wrong with that whatsoever. he'll be the new lava man.
as for hating poly, i think everyone is framing their thoughts on him regarding ky, not anything else. i don't think anyone would pick against him in a race on his favored surface.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man

You can say that about everything, but if you are betting the Derby, throwing out one of the favorites, and being right, gives you a chance to make some money. Isn't that both what we are talking about here and what playing the game is all about?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Why does the Pioneer of Nothing have to win the Derby. Good horses lose races. Colonel John won the Travers. The horses is bred to run all day long. He has been working bullets since January 1st along with IWR. Papa Clem has worked bullets all spring. Next Week when Square Eddie runs in the Top 3 another Synthetic horse who has been in training all spring.
he doesn't have to win-but isn't this thread about horses going for the derby? some like him for it, some don't. after the derby, everyone will move on.

to the preakness.

i can't wait to see who this years triple crown winner is going to be!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Turf Paradise

Default The game

that is what the game is all about. 20 days away.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
seems a couple horses from out west last year didn't do so well on poly, ran ok on dirt, but still didn't make much of a dent in kentucky. gayego immediately leaps to mind. seems like some of the horses pyro beat up on last year in LA had success elsewhere. pyro of course fell on his face in ky, and hasn't done much since then to redeem himself-so that should rule out giving much weight to friesan fire. and yes, i know it's a new year. i also know he hasn't run past 1 1/16th, and is taking a seven week breather before the derby. i'm not so sure both those moves can be overcome, along with a 20 horse field.
I'm not sure using any comparison to last year's crop is wise as they were extremely weak overall.

The dirt/synth debate could go on all night and never get anywhere. It's extremely horse specific in my opinion. Lumping all synth winners into turfers is dangerous, and visa-versa.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
nothing wrong with that whatsoever. he'll be the new lava man.
as for hating poly, i think everyone is framing their thoughts on him regarding ky, not anything else. i don't think anyone would pick against him in a race on his favored surface.
This getting really rank mid-race stuff is going to catch-up to him quick.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
that is what the game is all about. 20 days away.

The Derby is hardly what the game is all about. Maybe on the internet....but not at the windows where it really matters.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Turf Paradise

Well Said last year was better on Derby Day than everybody else.

But If Pioneer loses by 1 length. Will everyone go "he hated" the dirt?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew
What are you basing this on? The fact that he's never run on dirt, or the fact that he's bred to like dirt?
My sig. courtesy of BTW, explains it all.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
I'm not sure using any comparison to last year's crop is wise as they were extremely weak overall.

The dirt/synth debate could go on all night and never get anywhere. It's extremely horse specific in my opinion. Lumping all synth winners into turfers is dangerous, and visa-versa.
my only real comparison to last year is to say that a horse can look strong in the preps, only to bomb in may-and perhaps ever after (such as in pyros case).

as for the other, you have to take each horse on its own. some like one surface, some like multiple surfaces obviously. i know wait a while was good on turf, but hated synthetics-so of course you can't automatically assume anything. but it's my thought that only the best horses are versatile and can/will handle multiple surfaces and emerge victorious.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
My sig. courtesy of BTW, explains it all.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Wait a minute......
Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Well Said last year was better on Derby Day than everybody else.

But If Pioneer loses by 1 length. Will everyone go "he hated" the dirt?
if you have a horse do nothing but win on one surface, and then loses on another-that would be the easiest reason why, wouldn't it?