Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Steve Byk

Default Weekend Stakes Beyers

GP-Davona Dale S (G2): Amen Hallelujah 100 (R. Dutrow/J. Leparoux)
GP-The Very One S (G3): Changing Skies 92 (W. Mott/K. Desormeaux)
GP-Sabin S (G3): Aurora Lights 94 (E. Coatrieux/C. Velasquez)

SUN-Borderland Derby: Storming Saint 82 (H. Dominguez/L. Contreras)

TP-John Battaglia Memorial S: Vow to Wager 74 (D. Romans/J. McKee)

OP-Mountain Valley S: Comedero 97 (M. Stidham/M. Berry)

FG-Allen LaCombe Memorial H: Tizaqueena 87 (M. Stidham/S. Bridgmohan)

LRL-Miracle Wood S: Dont Blame the Cat 80 (R. Dutrow/E. Rodriguez)

TAM-Wayward Lass S: Don't Forget Gil 87 (M. Hennig/D. Centeno)

Last edited by Kasept : 03-01-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Flemington

Miner's Reserve and Radiohead are up on the Beyer leaderboard - both with 94's ... looked like an easy day to be a figure maker with 5 dirt races at 1-mile carded in a span of 7 races .. it turned out to be a miserable one and Beyer opted for a variant split.

Hard to disagree with it ... but also hard to trust much regarding anyones figures from yesterdays card.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Miner's Reserve and Radiohead are up on the Beyer leaderboard - both with 94's ... looked like an easy day to be a figure maker with 5 dirt races at 1-mile carded in a span of 7 races .. it turned out to be a miserable one and Beyer opted for a variant split.

Hard to disagree with it ... but also hard to trust much regarding anyones figures from yesterdays card.
Why is that? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Flemington

The weather was dicy ... wind and some rain ... I thought I heard Desormeaux say something about the wind changing or dying out as well .. but I wasn't paying any attention to the tv interview he was doing at the time.

The track maintenance crew also could have done some work to the main track in the hour gap after race 4 through before race 7 - as races 5 and 6 were both on the turf.

Either way ... it certainly appears as the main track was yielding slower than expected times at that point. It turns things regarding time into a guessing game ... and even with a very educated guess, it's still best to monitor those races going forward and conclude later. The commerical figure makers have to put a number to every race .. they get paid to do so .. I don't.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Why is that? Thanks.
Weather issues = constant changing track.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Bowie

Looks there may have been a timer issue in the Miner's Reserve race. Checked the chart and there is only a final time. I checked the replay and they only showed a first quarter time.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Goodwood

Perhaps the people at GP are tards?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
The weather was dicy ... wind and some rain ... I thought I heard Desormeaux say something about the wind changing or dying out as well .. but I wasn't paying any attention to the tv interview he was doing at the time.

The track maintenance crew also could have done some work to the main track in the hour gap after race 4 through before race 7 - as races 5 and 6 were both on the turf.

Either way ... it certainly appears as the main track was yielding slower than expected times at that point. It turns things regarding time into a guessing game ... and even with a very educated guess, it's still best to monitor those races going forward and conclude later. The commerical figure makers have to put a number to every race .. they get paid to do so .. I don't.
Thanks! I think Mike Welsch had mentioned basically the same things in blog yesterday. I remember posting here that the Sabin was an awful race because they ran a second slower than the maidens, but perhaps I was wrong. I think you can at least compare the 2 maiden races and Radiohead's wins to each other, even if not to the two stakes races. In that sense, Miner's Reserve ran very well.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic Storm
Looks there may have been a timer issue in the Miner's Reserve race. Checked the chart and there is only a final time. I checked the replay and they only showed a first quarter time.

Do they have people who clock the races manually? Not that it's a big deal as it was just a maiden race, but I admit I'm curious about the fractions.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Churchill Downs

What was the Beyer received by Seeking the Title when winning the 8th at Fair Grounds on Sunday? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Hollywood Park

in the Miracle Wood that 2nd place horse came from the back of the pack. Regal Warrior ran well shifting paths in deep stretch.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
What was the Beyer received by Seeking the Title when winning the 8th at Fair Grounds on Sunday? Thanks.

85, good looking filly
Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Steve Byk

GP-Mac Diarmida S (G2): Presious Passion 100 (M. Hartmann/E. Trujillo)

SA-Crystal Water H: Compari TBD (M. Jones/G. Gomez)

AQU-Broadway S: Lights Off Annie 90 (M. Hushion/F. Jara)

SUN Island Fashion S: Queen Greeley 86 (T. Fincher/I. Enriquez)

OTHER NOTABLES:
GP-MSW: Game On Dude 86
GP-ALW: Radiohead 94
GP-MSW: Miner's Reserve 94
Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
OP-Mountain Valley S: Comedero 97 (M. Stidham/M. Berry)

I suppose when this horse makes its next scheduled start in a 50K stakes race restricted to Arkansas breds ... at Oaklawn Park ($2.20 show minimum) - the bridgejumpers will be out in force.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Goodwood

Any word on Backtalk's #? Horse he beat was coming off a 91 and 96 last two. Figured it would be around 92ish which would give the winner of the Green Oaks a 72 and the two $10k maiden claiming races a 42 and 56.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Flemington

Look at who the 3rd and 4th place horses are in Backtalk's race ... a 92 for Backtalk would give them both big new career tops.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Les Bois

Backtalk-87
Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Look at who the 3rd and 4th place horses are in Backtalk's race ... a 92 for Backtalk would give them both big new career tops.
They ran OK beaten 8 and 10 lengths respectively. In a small field with a moderate pace I'm not surprised they got "pulled along" for good figures. That being said if they dropped in class and were favored, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Of course the probability I'll be watching for them to come back is near 0%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baranduin
Backtalk-87
Thanks- seems like a reasonable #. Gives the Green Oaks winner a 67 which also makes sense.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
I suppose when this horse makes its next scheduled start in a 50K stakes race restricted to Arkansas breds ... at Oaklawn Park ($2.20 show minimum) - the bridgejumpers will be out in force.
Doug,

Stidham confirmed that race yesterday on ATR. Then he'll focus on some bigger targets.