Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Hialeah Park

CC Sabathia?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/fernaal01.shtml
Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Gulfstream Park

this coming from a Yankees fan:

Fat CC will wilt under the summer heat and humidity at 292 lbs

The friggin audacity of these bastards to ask the NYC taxpayers for another $450,000,000 for their new stadium and they offer this fat slob of an athlete $160,000,000...makes no sense.

And they wonder why long time season ticket holders like myself canceled our seats!

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 12-10-2008, 03:44 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

whats the total payroll for the under achievers?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
whats the total payroll for the under achievers?
Around $160 million but they are nowhere near done yet.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet

you don't want to see him lose weight... Cle tried this when he first came up with them. he lost about 25 lbs... and almost 10mph off his fastball. Next spring, his weight was back up, and so was his fastball speed.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Around $160 million but they are nowhere near done yet.
The best part is that IMO there are no other star types except for Teixeria left. The Yankees need a CF and there are no viable FA's out there. They need a RF and there arent any of those that arent flawed in one way or another. They still need more starting pitching and Burnett and Sheets are the 2 best but are injury risks. Lowe is a good pitcher but I wouldnt tie up a lot of money in him. The bullpen still lacks depth, Cano, Jeter, Posada and whoever plays CF is the majors worst up the middle defense. Swisher at 1st is coming off his worst season. Posada is still a question mark physically. Playing Molina more than occasionally is like playing a game where you only get 24 outs. Matsui has a bad knee. And hank expects them to win the WS. They are the third best team in their own division and if Boston signs tex the gap gets wider.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
The best part is that IMO there are no other star types except for Teixeria left. The Yankees need a CF and there are no viable FA's out there. They need a RF and there arent any of those that arent flawed in one way or another. They still need more starting pitching and Burnett and Sheets are the 2 best but are injury risks. Lowe is a good pitcher but I wouldnt tie up a lot of money in him. The bullpen still lacks depth, Cano, Jeter, Posada and whoever plays CF is the majors worst up the middle defense. Swisher at 1st is coming off his worst season. Posada is still a question mark physically. Playing Molina more than occasionally is like playing a game where you only get 24 outs. Matsui has a bad knee. And hank expects them to win the WS. They are the third best team in their own division and if Boston signs tex the gap gets wider.
I look for Toronto to make a huge move up this season. The Yankees have too many holes to fill and like you said, there are precious few high impact possibilities left to buy contention.

Unless the Rays start addressing their needs, Boston can walk through this year. The deal for Hermida fell through (Rays are unwilling to part with their pitching prospects) but are rumored to be in talks with the Cardinals and close to a deal involving Rick Ankiel for Sonnestine and/or Jackson. They still haven't address the bullpen situation (legit closer)
Old 12-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis
I look for Toronto to make a huge move up this season. The Yankees have too many holes to fill and like you said, there are precious few high impact possibilities left to buy contention.

Unless the Rays start addressing their needs, Boston can walk through this year. The deal for Hermida fell through (Rays are unwilling to part with their pitching prospects) but are rumored to be in talks with the Cardinals and close to a deal involving Rick Ankiel for Sonnestine and/or Jackson. They still haven't address the bullpen situation (legit closer)
Toronto's pitching staff is a mess. They arent going anywhere. If the Rays got Ankiel for either of those two they would be much better with Price going into the rotation. There are lots of closers available and the last few left are not only better than what they had last year the market will keep the pricesdown.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis

I'd give up Sonnestine before Jackson. I think Jackson is still learning to pitch and has more upside. Not so sure I'd give up both. It would be nice to solidify right field. Gabe Gross is not an every day player.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I'd give up Sonnestine before Jackson. I think Jackson is still learning to pitch and has more upside. Not so sure I'd give up both. It would be nice to solidify right field. Gabe Gross is not an every day player.
I think it's going to come down to what roles Nieman and Price are going to fill. Jackson never got an ounce of run support last seasn, has shown some real concentration issues and an overall lack of mental toughness. Perhaps it's just a maturity deal, but he's definately a question mark. Sonnestine got through with blue smoke and mirrors last year, he's not great but serviceable. If it took both to land Ankiel, I wouldn't be overly concerned, but if I could get away with just one, I agree Sonny should go. I hope if it's both, they're looking at a DH or some prospects to be packaged in. There is nothing in the free agent market that looks like a fit and RF is a huge problem (I think Zorbrist and Henske will be gone)
Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet

The friggin audacity of these bastards to ask the NYC taxpayers for another $450,000,000 for their new stadium and they offer this fat slob of an athlete $160,000,000...makes no sense.

And they wonder why long time season ticket holders like myself canceled our seats!
Fat Wells pitched forever. And pretty well. He's fat but a good athlete. It makes perfect sense. Sabathia was the best pitcher on the market and they could outspend everyone for him. Pretty simple. So CC hasn't been pitching in heat and humidity at 290 his whole career?? It's a bad signing like all signings for this amount. We'll know soon enough just how bad it was. I can't imagine they'll get 7 years like he's pitched his last 3 obviously...my feeling is he'll be gone in 3 years regardless. HE clearly didn't want to go there, but the mafia nature of the Yankees made it impossible for him not to sign there...the old "offer he can't refuse." He wouldn't sign without the opt out clause at the 3 year mark. $160 mill and he still wants a chance to get out...I think that speaks as to how much he really didn't want to go there.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

Good comparison talent wise...but Fernandez tore up his arm pitching in the 1997 NLCS. So if Sabathia suffers a serious arm injury, yes the comparison works...otherwise...not really.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Good comparison talent wise...but Fernandez tore up his arm pitching in the 1997 NLCS. So if Sabathia suffers a serious arm injury, yes the comparison works...otherwise...not really.
Right, but that is the big risk you are taking with a 7 year deal.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Right, but that is the big risk you are taking with a 7 year deal.
They do have the buyout after three years which could work out good for them if he stinks or gets hurt. Of course if he can leave too.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Flemington

Sabathia asked for a buyout to be put into a 7 year 160 mil contract?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Sabathia asked for a buyout to be put into a 7 year 160 mil contract?
Supposedly the yankees wanted it. Hoffman to Dodgers is the latest rumor
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
They do have the buyout after three years which could work out good for them if he stinks or gets hurt. Of course if he can leave too.
Player only option after three years. His arm falls off tomorrow and you can bet your ass he won't be exercising that option and the Yankees are on the line for all seven years. They added that to ease his concerns about being unhappy in NY.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Del Mar

On a positive note (the pinstripes are going to come out now) you have a big three now of Sabathia, Wang and joba. Hughes should be back and is probably going to get pretty good if he can stay healthy (operative IF). Now they are throwing money at Burnett. Thats a very solid pitching staff. The question is, why would you throw five years and 80 million on a guy thats 31, injury prone and most likely your number 5 pitcher?

Either way, this staff could easily be amongst the best. If everything goes perfectly, they will be THE best.

Now im hearing Melky for Mike Cameron? I guess they will take whatever they can get for melky now even if its another centerfielder that should no longer be playing center field.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
On a positive note (the pinstripes are going to come out now) you have a big three now of Sabathia, Wang and joba. Hughes should be back and is probably going to get pretty good if he can stay healthy (operative IF). Now they are throwing money at Burnett. Thats a very solid pitching staff. The question is, why would you throw five years and 80 million on a guy thats 31, injury prone and most likely your number 5 pitcher?

Either way, this staff could easily be amongst the best. If everything goes perfectly, they will be THE best.

Now im hearing Melky for Mike Cameron? I guess they will take whatever they can get for melky now even if its another centerfielder that should no longer be playing center field.
Joba belongs in the bullpen and is a huge question mark in the rotation. He's unhittable up to 45 pitches and is useless from there on out. Talk is they want Burnett (horrible move at 5 years) AND Lowe, Sheets, or Pettite. So at that point they could and should move Joba to the bullpen and let Hughes start as the #5 and see how he does behind an incredibly strong top four.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Joba belongs in the bullpen and is a huge question mark in the rotation. He's unhittable up to 45 pitches and is useless from there on out. Talk is they want Burnett (horrible move at 5 years) AND Lowe, Sheets, or Pettite. So at that point they could and should move Joba to the bullpen and let Hughes start as the #5 and see how he does behind an incredibly strong top four.

Burnett is a typical Yankee move. Buying the top for a guy who had a career year. Especially when he pitched against the Yanks. They love signing guys that played well against them. They did it with Giambi, Damon, Pavano. Now they are going to try to do it with Burnett. I think the guy has great stuff, but he is just too much of a injury risk for the amount of money and years that they want to give him. Here is his lines against the Yanks last year.

IP H R ER BB SO HR
A Burnett, W (1-0) 6 5 2 2 1 3 1
A Burnett, W (10-8) 8.1 6 1 1 1 8 1
A Burnett, W (16-9) 8 5 1 1 1 13 0
A Burnett, L (16-10) 8 7 2 2 1 8 0
A Burnett 8 7 2 1 2 11 0

Last edited by MaTH716 : 12-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.