Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
The Curragh

Default Warm And Fuzzy Inside

I was at the local free book store, the library (it really is a great place) and something happened. I was browsing an aisle and heard a man trying to read a sentence. So, I looked up and saw this adult male with a woman and she was teaching him how to read. I could really sense just how bad he wanted to read, and she was showing such poise and patience with him. I stood back for a couple minutes and watched this miracle in progress.

I think this happened for a reason. Why you ask?

Just a few days later, one of my co workers and I were talking. She is going thru some troubled times, and I have offered an ear whenever she needed one. I mentioned that she has a purpose on this earth. She is a single mother of 2, etc etc..

Today, she came up to me and said I have a purpose. I immediately thought of that man learning to read. So, I went to the local library and signed up to become a volunteer to help those who can't read to learn the craft that will not only help them but help me as well. It will help them, we all know that. It will also benefit me, it will be a small way for me to give back to society.

I can HONESTLY say right now I feel better bout myself then I have in a LONG, LONG time. God works in funny ways.

Later
Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Flemington

That really is very nice of you.

I always wondered if it was very cliche to say 'it's better to give then receive' but one night when I was leaving work while living in Boston for College I saw what I assumed to be a father, daughter, dog and cat 'setting up house' outside the subway station. It was a few days shy of Christmas and for whatever reason, maybe it was the cold, maybe it's the spirit, but my heart really goes out to people who have nothing at that time, but seeing this family trying the best with what they had really touched me.

I went home and dug up every piece of never used warm clothing and blankets, cleaned the pantry shelves and stopped at the corner store for cat & dog food. Handing all of this over to this family and making a difference to them really meant more to me than one could describe.

The tiny things we do in life for others really can make a difference. Bless you 2min for making a difference in someone else's life.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Havre de Grace

Good for you,Curt....it will be a wonderful experience for you!