Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Now that is truly in bad taste. I'm not sure what more Helen Pitts could have done with Einstein.
I'm not so sure I agree. Didn't she run him right back at Pimlico after the Churchill debacle?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Fairgrounds

I didn't see anything wrong with the comments. You speak like you're one of the 2 guys in jail right now lol.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Jerome Park

I'm not picking on her. She seems like a good trainer and it's not an easy game for women to succeed. I'm sorry she lost the horse, especially to a guy with 1800 horses, but I'm just offering a reason why perhaps they were unhappy.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I'm not so sure I agree. Didn't she run him right back at Pimlico after the Churchill debacle?
I believe on "Dr's orders"...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I'm not picking on her. She seems like a good trainer and it's not an easy game for women to succeed. I'm sorry she lost the horse, especially to a guy with 1800 horses, but I'm just offering a reason why perhaps they were unhappy.
other than being in prison?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Arlington Park

My only real problem with the ESPN coverage was that they didn't use the phrase "win and you're in" quite enough for my taste.
I would have liked to hear it at least 400 times, and I think they barely made it over 250.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Oaklawn

I was standing watching the winners' circle proceedings and my friend asked me if I heard a humming sound. I said "what humming?" and he replied: It's the sound of all those ankle bracelets going off in one place.

It's hard to get behind this horse (who I admit I love) when the owners have such a poor reputation. Jackson and Padua have been screaming about transparency and when asked about the details of their purchase of Curlin said "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" And they are the ones who are out.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Newmarket

this sideshow with his connections takes the focus off of what an incredible performer Curlin is.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Oaklawn

I thought it was hilarious. The owners (maybe not all) are crooks.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
this sideshow with his connections takes the focus off of what an incredible performer Curlin is.
I take it you would be O.K. with ESPN ignoring Curlin if he were owned by Michael Vick.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I take it you would be O.K. with ESPN ignoring Curlin if he were owned by Michael Vick.
great hypothetical question. you couldn't ignore it because his story is larger than the horses story, it would all depend on how it was handled.
NBC would be the place where these types of human interest stories normally get fleshed out. maybe some people like that stuff, i don't. I just want the racing.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I don't think it does at all. They made a quick mention before the race. It's not like they did a huge segment on it. It was a 30 second piece at most and after the race there was no mention of it.
I think it's part of the story. If they can do a piece on what a wonderful man Jim Tafel is, then they have to/should show the other side as well.

Thank god Michael Vick didn't own horses
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
My only real problem with the ESPN coverage was that they didn't use the phrase "win and you're in" quite enough for my taste.
I would have liked to hear it at least 400 times, and I think they barely made it over 250.
yup. there has been a real problem in the past where gold cup winners couldnt get into the classic. thank god they implemented this system.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
I don't think it does at all. They made a quick mention before the race. It's not like they did a huge segment on it. It was a 30 second piece at most and after the race there was no mention of it.
this is a nothing issue imo, and its real simple. a couple people thought it didn't belong, others saw it as no problem. i don't think there is much else to cover on this one.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
this is a nothing issue imo, and its real simple. a couple people thought it didn't belong, others saw it as no problem. i don't think there is much else to cover on this one.
Jim..I know I'm relatively new here, but that's not how this works. We need at least 5 more pages on this
Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Yeah I agree it was a nothing issue. It's why I don't see why anyone mentioned it to begin with.

because sumwonluvsyou is on vacation?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by avance2000
yup. there has been a real problem in the past where gold cup winners couldnt get into the classic. thank god they implemented this system.
Exactly, it has absolutely no impact on the fields so no one should have a beef with it. The only thing it accomplishes is that it lets the rare casual fan that tunes in be able to start associating the races with what BC division they correspond to.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Santa Anita

Maybe the Classic should be sponsored by Oswald State Penitentiary.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
great hypothetical question. you couldn't ignore it because his story is larger than the horses story, it would all depend on how it was handled.
NBC would be the place where these types of human interest stories normally get fleshed out. maybe some people like that stuff, i don't. I just want the racing.
Exactly why I don't tune the TV to ESPN until they are going in the gate and tune away as soon as they cross the wire. A remote in my hand does not go to waste, the batteries are well used.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Exactly why I don't tune the TV to ESPN until they are going in the gate and tune away as soon as they cross the wire. A remote in my hand does not go to waste, the batteries are well used.
lol, me too. my mute button is rather worn down.