Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Sha Tin

Default See ya later Pico

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/bre...sociation.aspx
Old 09-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Flemington

The only horse to ever win the Carter, Met Mile, and Vosburgh in the same season is headed to Korea?

I wonder if some of the other recent big hits who came from South America like Candy Ride, Invasor, Leroydesanomeaux etc. will have as tough a go at stud as Pico was having?

Races like the Met, Carter, and Vosburgh are supposed to be among the very elite sire producing races.

Pico was sired by Spend A Buck, who had arguably one of the most brilliant Ky Derby wins ever - setting 45 and change fractions and staying on to take the Derby by 5 or 6 lengths in one of the fastest times ever.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Santa Anita

if you don't have 5 lines of Native Dancer or mega crosses of Northern Dancer and Mr Prospector I guess you are not considered commercial here. don't forget, some genious dumped Sunday Silence on Japan too.

the horses you mentioned were super star sprinters, routers, and turf.

Last edited by sumitas : 09-28-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
the horses you mentioned were super star sprinters, routers, and turf.
No doubt.

You just have to wonder how much interest a horse who came from South America will generate at stud.

Candy Ride is right up there with Ghostzapper and Discreet Cat for most talented horse to race this decade - in fact, I know a few very good handicappers out West who think he's #2 to Ghostzapper on talent, and one even believes he was more talented than Ghostzapper.

He once ran a mile on the turf in a world record 1:31 flat while winning a Group 1 race by 8 lengths in a 15 horse field.

He toyed with a perfect trip Madeglia D' Oro in the 1 1/4 mile Pacific Classic on dirt, winning in track record time of 1:59 flat, earning a 123 Beyer figure, and a subsequent Japan Cup Dirt winner was 3rd beaten double digit lengths, a two-time Santa Anita Handicap winner was 4th beaten double digit lengths in that race.

Even though Candy Ride was an undefeated and untested multiple Gr 1 winner on two surfaces in two different countries - and ran legendary fast times - he's still a son of Ride The Rails and his mother is still an unraced Argentinian bred. And I'm sure that's why no one really expects a whole lot from as a stallion.

His first crop will hit the track next year. It will be interesting to see how they do.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Santa Anita

Your pedigree questions are legit. For any horse, Candy Ride included, it is difficult to pass on racing success. The pedigree is important.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
No doubt.

You just have to wonder how much interest a horse who came from South America will generate at stud.

Candy Ride is right up there with Ghostzapper and Discreet Cat for most talented horse to race this decade - in fact, I know a few very good handicappers out West who think he's #2 to Ghostzapper on talent, and one even believes he was more talented than Ghostzapper.

He once ran a mile on the turf in a world record 1:31 flat while winning a Group 1 race by 8 lengths in a 15 horse field.

He toyed with a perfect trip Madeglia D' Oro in the 1 1/4 mile Pacific Classic on dirt, winning in track record time of 1:59 flat, earning a 123 Beyer figure, and a subsequent Japan Cup Dirt winner was 3rd beaten double digit lengths, a two-time Santa Anita Handicap winner was 4th beaten double digit lengths in that race.

Even though Candy Ride was an undefeated and untested multiple Gr 1 winner on two surfaces in two different countries - and ran legendary fast times - he's still a son of Ride The Rails and his mother is still an unraced Argentinian bred. And I'm sure that's why no one really expects a whole lot from as a stallion.

His first crop will hit the track next year. It will be interesting to see how they do.
candy ride had some very...for lack of a better word...INTERESTING looking yearlings....I hope they can run, because most of them don't look like much IMO.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Santa Anita

and Forest Camp will accompany Pico to Korea. and Cape Canaveral goes to Alberta.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Flemington

First Pico,

Now Forest Camp,

Songandaprayer must be next.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
First Pico,

Now Forest Camp,

Songandaprayer must be next.

Don't worry- The Green Monkey will be following them there by November lol.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
candy ride had some very...for lack of a better word...INTERESTING looking yearlings....I hope they can run, because most of them don't look like much IMO.
Interesting=Frogs