Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Thistley Downs

Ya Eric...shut up already.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Probably not, but who knows. He's no win machine.
So what makes him any different from FC?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Probably not, but who knows. He's no win machine.

Someone's laughing at you back home.

Thought you should know.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Probably that win in the Derby. And the fact that people came out in droves to see him. He'll always have a huge following for being NY's horse.
Perfect Drift fans who've bet on him this year can't afford the price of admission to see their horse run.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfectfan
That is so great. I just love Brass Hat. Big, Big Congrats to the connections!!
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I've been a fan since he beat some overhyped Florida shippers in the Rushaway as a 3yo.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Stop being a trouble maker. Thebby!!!!!
WHATTY???
Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Stop being a trouble maker. Thebby!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOO
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
WHATTY???

RULE-ENG UN Z FLOUR!!!!

LEFF-ENG MAY ESS OAF!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I've been a fan since he beat some overhyped Florida shippers in the Rushaway as a 3yo.
Same here! I was there that day and became a fan, and i went to CD yesterday just to see him come back. I was as nervous as could be watching him run around that track. He looked excellent in the paddock (front wraps always make me nervous though), and did not disappoint.

Souped up track or no, he was outstanding.

(and i did feel bad for PD after that race)
Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
I'm not trying to put words into The Bid's mouth, but here is my take. Murray Johnson is a pretty bad trainer, numbers don't lie. So maybe under a different trainer he would have won a lot more money.The horse obviously had a great deal of talent and had a very nice career.

Generally speaking I do find this website board very informative and fun to read; however, sometimes it can be one of the most venomous boards also.

I do not know Murray Johnson but to call someone "a pretty bad trainer, numbers dont lie" is harsh. His lifetime stats: 1878: 238-248-232 (38%hitting the board does not sound too bad to me). If you compare those lifetime "numbers" to this websites most beloved trainer they are very much the same but I doubt you would call him a "pretty bad" trainer.

To say its your opinion that a trainer is not very good is one thing but to try to back it up with "numbers dont lie" can be a double-edged sword.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycat
Generally speaking I do find this website board very informative and fun to read; however, sometimes it can be one of the most venomous boards also.

I do not know Murray Johnson but to call someone "a pretty bad trainer, numbers dont lie" is harsh. His lifetime stats: 1878: 238-248-232 (38%hitting the board does not sound too bad to me). If you compare those lifetime "numbers" to this websites most beloved trainer they are very much the same but I doubt you would call him a "pretty bad" trainer.

To say its your opinion that a trainer is not very good is one thing but to try to back it up with "numbers dont lie" can be a double-edged sword.
John Hancock posts here?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Santa Anita

AND WHAT A GOOD GIRL I AM FOR NOT GETTING IN ON THIS ARGUMENT! I pat myself on the back.

I will admit, I will forever love this horse. Drifty will always have a place in my heart and be one of my fave racehorses of all time. Is he the best? No. I am not saying that. But he will always be one of my faves.

I will also admit that he may not want to race anymore. Maybe he is just tired of it. I think they should give him to me and let me baby him for the rest of his life.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I just lost my lunch
Come on hossy, let's sing...

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya
Old 07-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Come on hossy, let's sing...

O Lord, kumbaya
Maybe she meant Murray and not PD
Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
I just lost my lunch

You better clean it up.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Santa Anita

And congrats to Brass Hat and his connections.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Sha Tin

Since I have been unwittingly dragged into the conversation...I think that it is logical to think that a horse like Perfect Drift may have been able to accomplish more if in the barn of a high percentage trainer like the ones mentioned. Of course it is probably wrong but it is logical. Horse racing history is full of horses who moved to a different location or trainer and moved way up. But there are also many examples of good horses being moved to "high profile" trainers who have regressed. The worst thing about the % is that they really mean so little in a positive way for the owners who hold them so dear. One thing that the higer % guys seem to do is win fast and often for a short period and then the horses quickly regress and retire or move on. They also tend to make decisions that are based on a short term plan usually based upon the common good of their win % first and foremost. The funny thing is that the owners seem to run to these guys as fast as they can and usually wind up no better off than they were before except with a much larger bill. I dont blame the trainers for that type of thinking because it is obvious that is what most owners look for even if it is only a small piece of the puzzle.

Murray is not a close friend of mine but he is a nice man. He himself would probably admit that he is not the worlds greatest trainer. But he has done an exceptional job with this horse in my opinion. Of course I am of the belief that he was never more than a good grade 2 horse that overachieved on many occasions.

That being said it is painfully obvious that the horse has lost more than a step and though he may be sound enough to run, he just isn't a stakes quality horse anymore.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Since I have been unwittingly dragged into the conversation...I think that it is logical to think that a horse like Perfect Drift may have been able to accomplish more if in the barn of a high percentage trainer like the ones mentioned. Of course it is probably wrong but it is logical. Horse racing history is full of horses who moved to a different location or trainer and moved way up. But there are also many examples of good horses being moved to "high profile" trainers who have regressed. The worst thing about the % is that they really mean so little in a positive way for the owners who hold them so dear. One thing that the higer % guys seem to do is win fast and often for a short period and then the horses quickly regress and retire or move on. They also tend to make decisions that are based on a short term plan usually based upon the common good of their win % first and foremost. The funny thing is that the owners seem to run to these guys as fast as they can and usually wind up no better off than they were before except with a much larger bill. I dont blame the trainers for that type of thinking because it is obvious that is what most owners look for even if it is only a small piece of the puzzle.

Murray is not a close friend of mine but he is a nice man. He himself would probably admit that he is not the worlds greatest trainer. But he has done an exceptional job with this horse in my opinion. Of course I am of the belief that he was never more than a good grade 2 horse that overachieved on many occasions.

That being said it is painfully obvious that the horse has lost more than a step and though he may be sound enough to run, he just isn't a stakes quality horse anymore.
What a very classy post. I would expect no less.

I apologize for "dragging" you into this and I do respect your abilities.

Like I said I do enjoy reading this board but I thought this thread got really carried away when they call someone "a pretty bad trainer, numbers dont lie".
Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Keeneland

Some people have an interesting way of being a real ball buster.

Geez...

I'm guessing Kumbaya didn't work.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Thanks for your insight here. Spot on as usual.
My insight concerning the horse isn't to automatically blame his trainer. I'm not convinced that PD would have lasted as long as he has with another trainer... there is obviously no way to know for sure, but I don't feel as if Johnson spotted this horse horribly. As for how he trained him, I have no idea. I'm not a trainer. Only a trainer would really know how he has done with this particular horse.

Thanks for your snobbish response, by the way. Spot on as usual.