Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Sam Houston

Default Leading the Parade

I liked this horse, I did but.... Why would you breed anything to him and expect a race horse???

Leading the Parade to Stand at Lambholm South
Date Posted: 10/27/2006 1:59:52 PM
Last Updated: 10/27/2006 1:59:52 PM

Leading the Parade, a stakes-placed son of A.P. Indy out of grade I winner and champion producer My Flag, has been retired and will stand in 2007 at Roy Lerman's Lambholm South near Reddick, Fla. His fee will be $3,500.

The 5-year-old horse won two of 18 starts and earned $97,624. He finished third this year in the Wadsworth Memorial Handicap at Finger Lakes. In his final race, he ran seventh in the Sept. 9 Bob Harding Stakes at Monmouth.

Leading the Parade was bred in Kentucky by Ogden Phipps and is from a top Phipps female family. His dam, My Flag, by Easy Goer, won the 1995 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). Besides Leading the Parade, she is the dam of champion filly Storm Flag Flying (by Storm Cat) and graded stakes-placed On Parade (by Storm Cat).

The second dam of Leading the Parade is unbeaten champion Personal Ensign, who also produced grade I winners Miner's Mark and Traditionally and grade I-placed Our Emblem (all by Mr. Prospector).
Old 10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnowMonster
I liked this horse, I did but.... Why would you breed anything to him and expect a race horse???

Leading the Parade, a stakes-placed son of A.P. Indy out of grade I winner and champion producer My Flag, has been retired and will stand in 2007 at Roy Lerman's Lambholm South near Reddick, Fla. His fee will be $3,500.

The 5-year-old horse won two of 18 starts and earned $97,624. He finished third this year in the Wadsworth Memorial Handicap at Finger Lakes. In his final race, he ran seventh in the Sept. 9 Bob Harding Stakes at Monmouth.

Leading the Parade was bred in Kentucky by Ogden Phipps and is from a top Phipps female family. His dam, My Flag, by Easy Goer, won the 1995 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). Besides Leading the Parade, she is the dam of champion filly Storm Flag Flying (by Storm Cat) and graded stakes-placed On Parade (by Storm Cat).

The second dam of Leading the Parade is unbeaten champion Personal Ensign, who also produced grade I winners Miner's Mark and Traditionally and grade I-placed Our Emblem (all by Mr. Prospector).
Easy answer... A.P. Indy blood and a decent female side pedigree to boot. Some of the best sires never did squat on the track.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Blue Eyes

Quote:

That's why.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Cunningham Racing

$3,500 is basically peanuts in the FL market....his pedigree is worth that for cheap mares..
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Jerome Park

I can see the ads already...." Looking for a slow plodder? Have we got a deal for you ".
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
The Curragh

doesnt hurt to try
Old 10-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I can see the ads already...." Looking for a slow plodder? Have we got a deal for you ".

AND he's pretty!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
AND he's pretty!!!

" Pretty " slow?

I would beg to differ
Old 10-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
" Pretty " slow?

I would beg to differ

Actually, his last few races at Monmouth were pretty decent.

Here are all of his races for the year, looks like he really stepped it up once he got onto the turf at monmouth. he never posted another work after his final race which makes me think he was injured?

Bob Harding S- 1 3/8 miles- Monmouth Park *turf/firm* 9/9/06
7/7- winning time 2.12:88
Allowance- 1 1/8 miles- Monmouth Park *turf/firm* 8/19/06
2/11- winning time 1.46:89
Allowance- 1 1/8 miles- Monmouth Park *turf/firm* 7/19/06
2/6- winning time 1.47:46
Wadsworth Memorial H.- 1 1/8 miles- Finger Lakes *fast* 6/18/06
3/7- winning time 1.49:47
Allowance/Optional Claiming- 1 mile- Aqueduct *sloppy/sealed* 4/8/06
6/10- winning time 1.37:48
Allowance/Optional Claiming- 1 1/8 miles- Gulfstream Park *fast* 3/5/06
4/5- winning time 1.50:00
Allowance- 1 1/8 miles- Gulfstream Park *fast* 1/16/06
5/8- winning time 1.48:63
Old 10-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Bold Reasoning

His owner acts like a proud father. That is terrific. When I saw him running for Mr. Lerman months ago at Monmouth, I had a good feeling. I think this is the ideal setup for LTP and I think he will be a sire who will give us some nice horses. One does not expect Bernardini or Lava Man, but you never know. He is loaded with great horses in that pedigree. Slews are hot...the American Scorpion had a first-time runner break her maiden at Aqueduct yesterday. The son of Seattle Slew stands in Florida, too.

Last edited by Bold Reasoning : 10-28-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Balletto

Scorpion started off in Kentucky but had major fertility issues. He's one of the best bred Slew stallions in the world. I wouldnt mind trying with him at all.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Balletto

I should also add I dont think Leading the Parade is worth the effort to even look at. I have no doubt he's probably a very fine looking specimen, but he was terribly slow and one-geared. Add the fact that his family hasnt been able to produce any stallions that average better than "ok", and I think he becomes an easy "toss" for small Fl breeders.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Bold Reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Scorpion started off in Kentucky but had major fertility issues. He's one of the best bred Slew stallions in the world. I wouldnt mind trying with him at all.
I am happy that he has found his nitch in Florida. I was nervous about Scorpion when he was at Vinery. Lukas runners are often great sires.