Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default American Idol Round of 7: A Horseplayer's Perspective

Phil
When he was first to go tonight, I thought it was fitting, as I've been pulling for him to get the hell out of here for awhile. Then he sang "Where the Blacktop Ends," and of course my mind was filling with delicious end-of-the-road jokes. Sadly for me, it wasn't awful. I still think he's weak. I still think he's a terribly awkward performer. I still think he's just a terribly awkward human being in just about every way. But vocally, tonight was good. Not great, and I'm hardly a convert -- but like Sanjaya, he'd been setting himself up with nowhere to go but up after a few positively dreadful performances. All in all, not half bad.

Final Score: 7.5 phone-in votes

Jordin
I am so glad that I don't have to let my love for her color my reviews. Her performances are speaking for themselves, and with each week she becomes more of a contender. She's been cutting into what I perceive to be Melinda's lead every week for about the last month -- and dare I say that even Melinda is going to have a hard time topping this one tonight. She's just flawless. A seventeen year old should not be able to sing a song that like and be able to deliver it in a way that makes it resonate in grown men. She was simply amazing across the board. I even futilely attempted to try to find one negative from this performance, just as an exercise in creativity. Fortunately for her, she had every base covered from every angle. One of my five favorite performances this season, and possibly my favorite. Flawless. I dare anyone else to top this.

Final Score: 10.0 phone-in votes

Sanjaya
I didn't even write a thing during the performance. I don't even know what to say. If Bonnie Raitt were never a chainsmoking alcoholic, I am sure she is seriously weighing the pros and cons of those hobbies right now to ease the pain that Sanjaya just inflicted on one of the most popular, well-loved country songs in recent memory. It was just awful. I have to say in his defense, that it was still better than what he was giving us five weeks ago, but his vocals still simply just don't compare to any of the other fringe contenders. While it might be shocking to know that I still despise Phil more than Sanjaya as an entire package, this vocal just proves what we all already knew. The kid cannot really sing when placed side by side with any of the other contenders. I think he's got a nice tone and his vocals may turn out to be something with some maturation and seasoning, but he really just can't hack it and this would be as good a week as any for his ouster considering that his bottom-dwelling partner in crime already delivered a halfway decent performance tonight.

Final Score: 4.5 (the mark of the Scarnato) phone-in votes

Lakisha
I was worried for her this week with the style. I keep saying that the one girl with the huge voice never wins the competition, but frankly, I think that's he only hope is to coast by on that huge voice. I don't think it fit her at all, the song was sort of split into two pieces, the first was in the style of Carrie Underwood, and the latter was in the style of Lakisha. I wasn't a huge fan, and I honestly am worried for her chances to get through this week. She's never been in the bottom three, but I think that this would be the first week where I would not be shocked if she ended up in the bottom three -- and considering a free pass for Sanjaya, could put her in some real danger based just on tonight's performance

Final Score: 7.0 phone-in votes

Chris R.
Let me start with the closing comments, "Nasally is a form of singing," after which Chris tells us that it would be something to comment on had he done it every week. Hello?! Anyone? Pin dropping in the room? Besides your clear enjoyment of being the show's resident trashball, you are nasally and whiny every single week. It's one of the well-documented reasons that I absolutely despise you Chris R. If it tells you anything about tonight's performance, I was sitting here shaking my head the whole time and Jordan (the world's biggest Chris R. apologist) left in the middle of the performance to make a drink. I hate you. We hate you, tonight especially. The performance was just awful, from beginning to end. There were more off-pitch notes than a Haley Scarnato drunk karaoke performance. Horrific. Sanjaya territory horrific. This one should be in some serious trouble after tonight's performance.

Final Score: 5.0 phone-in votes

Melinda
I don't feel like tonight's performance is going to go down as her best, but it channeled a certain energy from the "Woman" performance earlier in the season -- one that I thought was her best performance. I think the thing that might come back to get her is that she's been static in this competition, being mostly flawless and certainly above the rest most weeks. That level of consistency is crucial for any performer, but with an up-and-comer like Jordin breathing down her neck, Melinda is going to have to deliver a real knockout performance one of these weeks. That said, I thought it was another fine performance in a long line of performances, but I don't think it was her best nor do I think it was the best performance of tonight. Her song was good enough to keep her on top of my overall rankings, but the gap is narrowing each week and I hope for her sake that she can pull one out of her hat next week and blow us away again.

Final Score: 9.5 phone-in votes

Blake
I will say the same thing as I said last week. Blake is really going to have to step up and give us something different. He is singing essentially the same song each week. His style and the fact that he's not the worst singer have gotten him this far, but he lacks the dynamic deliveries of performers like Jordin or Melinda. I was hoping he would use a performance like tonight to step outside of his comfort zone and give us something that we hadn't seen from him yet, but I still just didn't see it. The vocal was acceptable and still better than a few in here tonight, but it's getting old and I need him to show me that he's a real performer. I may disagree with the judges on this one, but it just wasn't that special for me. It's really been a few weeks since he delivered what I would call a really good performance.

Final Score: 8.0 phone-in votes
Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Coach Pants

Chris is going home.

Jordin is incredible.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Chris is going home.

Jordin is incredible.
I'm with you there. Sanjaya was awful but for another week or two it seems that his free pass will continue to get him through.

Jordin has always been my favorite, from the Seattle audition show, and for once, my audition favorite is a real contender. She's amazing.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Monmouth Park

I think Chris is going home as well, but if I had to rank them in order tonight it would be....

1. Jordin
2. Melinda
3. Blake
4. Phil
5 Chris
6 Lakesha (thought she was really bad)
7 Sanjaya

Who will be the bottom 3?

Chris, Phil, and Lakesha....Sanjaya keeps laughing and one of the heavy hitters gets a scare.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Newmarket

bottom three prediction this week:

Chris, Sanjaya, LAKISHA (yep sooner or later it has to happen)

Chris is the one to move on out i think.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Don't really have to bother cause I agree with Brian but:
7) Sanjaya...Lets Give Them Something To Talk About...Simon said, "Utterly horrendous"...enough said!
6) Chris...Mayberry...terrible!
5) LaKisha...Jesus Take The Wheel...why would you choose a song by a former Idol? Inviting comparison...well, she's not Carrie Underwood. Off key in the beginning and shouting at the end, her worst performance so far!
4) Phil...Where The Blacktop Ends...his best performance of the competition, it will be ironic if he leaves this week. Not the voice of a country singer but he had fun with it.
3) Blake...When The stars Go Blue...voice was very good but I just don't like his stage personality, still...good job!
2) Melinda...Trouble Is A Woman...she does sassy very well, flawless voice as always...far far ahead of everybody else except...
1) Jordin...Broken Wing...OK, I love Martina and this is her song but what a wonderful performance by Jordin, perhaps the best single performance of the competition!
The top two are miles ahead of the rest...I'm really not sure how to pick between them overall!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Don't really have to bother cause I agree with Brian but:
7) Sanjaya...Lets Give Them Something To Talk About...Simon said, "Utterly horrendous"...enough said!
6) Chris...Mayberry...terrible!
5) LaKisha...Jesus Take The Wheel...why would you choose a song by a former Idol? Inviting comparison...well, she's not Carrie Underwood. Off key in the beginning and shouting at the end, her worst performance so far!
4) Phil...Where The Blacktop Ends...his best performance of the competition, it will be ironic if he leaves this week. Not the voice of a country singer but he had fun with it.
3) Blake...When The stars Go Blue...voice was very good but I just don't like his stage personality, still...good job!
2) Melinda...Trouble Is A Woman...she does sassy very well, flawless voice as always...far far ahead of everybody else except...
1) Jordin...Broken Wing...OK, I love Martina and this is her song but what a wonderful performance by Jordin, perhaps the best single performance of the competition!
The top two are miles ahead of the rest...I'm really not sure how to pick between them overall!
I agree, but I've said it all along that I think the finale will be Jordin and Blake. I just think at some point it comes down to appeal as much as talent and that's where Blake has his niche. Not as good as singer as Melinda or Lakesha but he has appeal and that will carry him a long way, but I think in the end Jordin wins.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
I think Chris is going home as well, but if I had to rank them in order tonight it would be....

1. Jordin
2. Melinda
3. Blake
4. Phil
5 Chris
6 Lakesha (thought she was really bad)
7 Sanjaya

Who will be the bottom 3?

Chris, Phil, and Lakesha....Sanjaya keeps laughing and one of the heavy hitters gets a scare.

Well, Phil and Chris will certainly be in the bottom 3, I'm not sure who will join them, I suspect it may well be LaKisha. Either Chris or Phil will go home. I just don't "get" Blake...really leaves me flat every week personality-wise. Right now, I'd say as long as Melinda and Jordin are the final two, the rest doesn't matter...Sanjaya could reach the bottom three this week but I doubt it would be 3 guys.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:09 PM

I agree that this week could be Lakisha's week in the bottom three.

I agree too with Somer, that Jordin's performance was one of the best of the season.

Interesting to see how tomorrow plays out.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Washington Park

Default American Idol Top 7 Critique

Phil Stacey: Bald Navy Dude That Looks Like Jeff Goldblum After A Few Chemo Treatments.

Lakisha Jones: A Cross Between Big Mommas House And Al Sharpton.

Jordin Sparks: Yes She Is Young And Can Sing, But Hit The Gym With Your Thunder Thighs Girl.

Blake Lewis: Looks Like Bono On A Bad Hair Day.

Chris Richardson: A Cross Between M&m, Justin Timberlake, And A Yodeler From Virginia. Reminds Me Of Deliverance.

Sanjaya Malakar: We Know He Cant Sing But He Is Our Little Buddy. He Looks Like Gilligan From India.

Melinda Doolittle: Sounds Alot Like Gladys Knight But We Can She Has No Neck. Maybe She Could Try The Neck Stretcher Device From Andy Griffith That Barney Fife Used One Time.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Santa Anita

ok, I agree with some but disagree with some others.

1. Jordin-If this girl doesn't win, this show is rigged.

2. Melinda-Very nice performance, but again, I will not buy an album of hers, even though I think she is an excellent performer.

3. Blake-I liked his performance. Was it worthy of Tim McGraw? Not really, but it was a nice performance. Even though I think he should have sang "Me and My Gang" by Rascal Flatts, it was a good performance overall.

4. Chris - A bit nasaly BUT country music is full of nasaly singers. Overall, I liked it.

5. Phil-OK performance. He should stick with country.

6. Lakisha-I like her I really do, but my theory use to be "DON'T SING A SONG THAT KELLY CLARKSON DOES". I have now amended it that to be "DON'T SING A SONG THAT KELLY OR CARRIE DOES". It really was awful and it showed she has a bit of a speech impediment.

7. Sangaya-GO HOME! That was downright PAINFUL to listen and watch.

JUST BUFFY'S OPINION. I want Sanjaya to go home, but since more than likely those girls that love those little "girlie" boys voted for him. I am worried about Lakisha, but I think it will be either Phil or Chris going home. But honestly, I think Phil deserves to go before Chris.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
ok, I agree with some but disagree with some others.

1. Jordin-If this girl doesn't win, this show is rigged.

2. Melinda-Very nice performance, but again, I will not buy an album of hers, even though I think she is an excellent performer.

3. Blake-I liked his performance. Was it worthy of Tim McGraw? Not really, but it was a nice performance. Even though I think he should have sang "Me and My Gang" by Rascal Flatts, it was a good performance overall.

4. Chris - A bit nasaly BUT country music is full of nasaly singers. Overall, I liked it.

5. Phil-OK performance. He should stick with country.

6. Lakisha-I like her I really do, but my theory use to be "DON'T SING A SONG THAT KELLY CLARKSON DOES". I have now amended it that to be "DON'T SING A SONG THAT KELLY OR CARRIE DOES". It really was awful and it showed she has a bit of a speech impediment.

7. Sangaya-GO HOME! That was downright PAINFUL to listen and watch.

JUST BUFFY'S OPINION. I want Sanjaya to go home, but since more than likely those girls that love those little "girlie" boys voted for him. I am worried about Lakisha, but I think it will be either Phil or Chris going home. But honestly, I think Phil deserves to go before Chris.

Everybody here (except for one flamer posting ugly stuff for a reaction) seems to agree pretty much on last night. Jordin was beautiful to watch AND listen to...she seems to have unlimited potential. I still think Melinda has a slight lead but she may be at her peak while Jordin just seems to get better every week. If America votes on talent and performance, it MUST come down to those two. I like LaKisha and respect her trying to make a life for herself and her baby but I'm afraid she's peaked and heading the wrong direction. America seems to be alternating boy/girl each week so a guy should leave this week. Phil is the obvious choice based on past (lack of) support but Chris did himself no favors last night...I will be very surprised if one of those two don't leave...of course it goes without saying that it should be Sanjaya.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Monmouth Park

I think hands down Melinda is the most talented, but she lacks appeal and that is where I think Jordin and Blake kill everyone else. jmo.......
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Arlington Park

Talking

As we've learned from past Idol shows, the truly good singers will get contracts even if they're voted off. Melinda and Jordin will go on in the business.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Coach Pants

Fergie just lip synched like a mofo. Complete cokewhore trash.