Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2022, 08:49 AM
Saratoga

A "Generation" is defined as 20-30 years so lets middle that to 25 years... Who we kicking out to let Secret Oath in? Seems to me she lost any chance of entering this group in the Ark Derby.... Laughable that we need to find 3 or 4 GOATS a year... Diminishes it
Old 05-25-2022, 09:18 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
A "Generation" is defined as 20-30 years so lets middle that to 25 years... Who we kicking out to let Secret Oath in? Seems to me she lost any chance of entering this group in the Ark Derby.... Laughable that we need to find 3 or 4 GOATS a year... Diminishes it
That's the way I see it as well. I also don't understand the hurry. Let's see how her career plays out.

At this point, is she better than Malathaat was last year? I don't see it, and with all due respect, to Malathaat, she hardly feels like a particularly memorable champion.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I wonder who was the first person to suggest Untapable might be a generational talent
I say it after every race about every horse in the race from $5K claimers to graded stakes horses. Of course, the horses never turn out to be generational talents but I am never wrong that they might have become a generational talent.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:12 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Absolutely. Nothing wrong with thinking you may be seeing something special and proclaiming it early. But once the evidence to the contrary kicks in and starts building up, to quote the great American philosopher Kenny Rogers, “you gotta know when to fold them.”
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-25-2022, 09:48 AM
Keeneland

Are we still thinking Secret Oath is a generational talent?
Old 07-25-2022, 05:07 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Are we still thinking Secret Oath is a generational talent?
Her only losses are to Cyberknife, who just defeated two super horses, and a filly that should have won the Belmont. The jury is still out. This will transition nicely to a conversation about Cyberknife’s chances for top 3YO male.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Her only losses are to Cyberknife, who just defeated two super horses, and a filly that should have won the Belmont. The jury is still out. This will transition nicely to a conversation about Cyberknife’s chances for top 3YO male.
She was soundly beaten both times she tried males and Nest just swatted her away like she was a fly.

Nest was never winning the Belmont but maybe she’s the generational talent. She got beat less than a length by Gerrymander in her 2nd start and you saw what Gerrymander did in the Mother Goose. She was second best in the Oaks and Belmont but that performance Saturday was next level. Secret Oath has never run a race that fast.

Honestly neither one of them are likely to be considered generational. They’re nice fillies.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:32 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
She was soundly beaten both times she tried males and Nest just swatted her away like she was a fly.

Nest was never winning the Belmont but maybe she’s the generational talent. She got beat less than a length by Gerrymander in her 2nd start and you saw what Gerrymander did in the Mother Goose. She was second best in the Oaks and Belmont but that performance Saturday was next level. Secret Oath has never run a race that fast.

Honestly neither one of them are likely to be considered generational. They’re nice fillies.
Agreed. I was just assuming how Vic might respond. I actually forgot she ran in the Preakness. My memory must be going.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:30 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Agreed. I was just assuming how Vic might respond. I actually forgot she ran in the Preakness. My memory must be going.
My bad
Old 07-26-2022, 01:19 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Seems clear she's not as good as I'd thought/hoped she'd be.

Obviously VERY talented.

But not generational at this point.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
“At this point”

Old 07-26-2022, 01:57 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Seems clear she's not as good as I'd thought/hoped she'd be.

Obviously VERY talented.

Very talented horses come around EVERY year. I don't know what fig Jerry Brown used for Nest but I wold think it is MUCH better then anything Secret Oak has ever run
Old 07-27-2022, 10:40 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Very talented horses come around EVERY year. I don't know what fig Jerry Brown used for Nest but I wold think it is MUCH better then anything Secret Oak has ever run
I would think you'd be right.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:37 PM
The Curragh

Well that was impressive as heck.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:57 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Well that was impressive as heck.
Starting to think she's pretty good after all.

Still time to seek generational.