Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Santa Anita

Default so close for quito

beaten a neck by the fav Reverence.... runner up came from a mile back in bottomless ground!

#Grand
Old 09-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Newmarket

he was the only one to make any kind of move in that bog.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Saratoga

Next time, brockguy.

What will that be, his 109th start? He'll get that Group 1....
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Saratoga

Sooooo.....

Quito and Iffraaj? No disrespect but you know who I want here...

RACE 3 YORK 09/09/06 TRW 137 130 132 138 136 (Av 135)

3.10 THE GNER PARK STAKES (Group 2) (1) (Turf) 7f
£100,000 3yo+ TWFA 3 9-11

1 IFFRAAJ 5 b.h 9-06 SAEED BIN SUROOR L. Dettori Drawn 1 136
Godolphin Royal blue
2 WELSH EMPEROR (IRE) 7 b.g 9-06 T. P. TATE Darryll Holland Drawn 6 126
Mrs Sylvia Clegg Dark blue and orange (quartered), orange sleeves, dark blue stars, orange cap, dark blue star
3 KING JOCK (USA) 5 b.h 9-02 R. J. OSBORNE, IRELAND P. Shanahan Drawn 5 128
Thistle Bloodstock Limited Black, red epauletes, yellow sleeves, yellow cap, red star
4 MAC LOVE 5 b.g 9-02 R. CHARLTON Martin Dwyer Drawn 8 127
Mr Vimal Khosla Grey, dark blue stripe, dark blue sleeves, yellow armlets, check cap
5 QUITO (IRE) 9 b.r 9-02 D. W. CHAPMAN Tony Culhane Drawn 4 (b) 131
Mr Michael Hill Royal blue, white cross of lorraine and armlets, check cap
6 SOMNUS 6 b.g 9-02 T. D. EASTERBY K. Darley Drawn 3 125
Legard Sidebottom & Sykes Dark blue, beige armlets
7 SPECIOSA (IRE) 3 b.f 9-01 MRS P. SLY Micky Fenton Drawn 7 125
Michael H. Sly Dr T. Davies Mrs Pam Sly Light blue, grey and light blue hooped sleeves, pink cap
8 SHORT DANCE (USA) 3 b.f 8-09 B. W. HILLS Richard Hughes Drawn 9 126
Mr K. Abdulla Green, pink sash and cap, white sleeves
9 WASSEEMA (USA) 3 br.f 8-09 SIR MICHAEL STOUTE R. Hills Drawn 2 127 p
Mr Hamdan Al Maktoum Royal blue, white epaulets, striped cap
Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Saratoga

From Godolphin.....

IFFRAAJ SEEKS SECOND GNER PARK STAKES TRIUMPH

©Bill Selwyn

Iffraaj bids to follow his excellent victory in the Group Two Betfair Cup at Goodwood in August with a repeat win in the £100,000 Group Two GNER Park Stakes at York on Saturday, September 9.

The Saeed bin Suroor-trained five-year-old took the 2005 running of the seven-furlong contest by a short-head from Sleeping Indian, with subsequent dual Group One winner Court Masterpiece a three lengths away in third.

That renewal took place at Doncaster, but with the South Yorkshire course undergoing redevelopment Iffraaj will attempt to defend his crown at York, the scene of his famous success in last season's Wokingham Handicap over six furlongs.

The Godolphin horse has progressed with each start this term and finished with a flourish when the head runner-up to Les Arcs in the Group One Darley July Cup over six furlongs at Newmarket on July 14, before storming to a four-length triumph over Jedburgh in the Betfair Cup over a furlong further.

Frankie Dettori has partnered Iffraaj in all three starts this season and is again in the saddle as the combination takes on eight high-class rivals including Stan James 1,000 Guineas heroine Speciosa, Group One winner Somnus, Group One Betfred Sprint Cup runner-up Quito and the progressive Sir Michael Stoute-trained filly Wasseema, who is seeking a four-timer.

Saeed bin Suroor, the Godolphin trainer, said: "Iffraaj won very well at Glorious Goodwood and is in good form.

"He goes into the race in top shape and I'm very happy with him. We're looking for some good ground for him and hoping for a big run."
Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Saratoga

It was all about Iffraaj.....
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
It was all about Iffraaj.....
Quito won on Thursday so I had a feeling that he wouldnt do great this weekend. Some horse though.. Someone suggested to his trainer that he should go to the Breeders Cup. Imagine that???

#Grand
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
Quito won on Thursday so I had a feeling that he wouldnt do great this weekend. Some horse though.. Someone suggested to his trainer that he should go to the Breeders Cup. Imagine that???
More Quito news!

QUITO AMONG LONG LIST OF AYR POSSIBLES
By Thomas Deane, PA Sport Staff
(Sporting Life)

David Chapman's tough and consistent Quito heads the list of 100 horses still engaged in Saturday's totesport Ayr Gold Cup at the five-day confirmation stage.

Quito has enjoyed a profitable campaign and finished a close second to Reverence in the Sprint Cup at Haydock recently, but he will need to defy a handicap mark of 112 if he is to repeat his 2003 success in the famous handicap.

The Robin Bastiman-trained Borderlescott and Ian Semple's Appalachian Trail are two interesting possibles to have stood their ground and the pair find themselves towards the head of the ante-post markets.

The former has not been seen since lifting the Stewards' Cup at Glorious Goodwood, while the latter created a favourable impression when landing a Newmarket Listed race on his first attempt over six furlongs last month.

Other notable confirmations include Excusez Moi, impressive winner of the Great St Wilfrid at Ripon, and John Quinn's recent Knavesmire scorer Fantasy Believer.

A final field of 28 will go to post for the showpiece event, with those balloted out eligible for the Silver Cup the previous day.

Kevin Ryan looks sure to be well represented in the feature as he is responsible for 11 confirmations, five of which find themselves in the current top 28.

Spearheading those five is the consistent Mutamared, runner-up in the Stewards' Cup.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Bowie

poor girl.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n..._Wasseema.html
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Santa Anita

Quito's last race of the season.. He should try the BC Sprint!!

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n..._Goodwood.html

#Grand
Old 09-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Saratoga

The field.....
Tuesday September 26 2006
Goodwood 15:40

Merbury Catering Consultants Supreme Stakes (group 3)
£50000.00 added, 3yo plus, 7f, Class 1, £28390.00 penalty
8 runners
Going: Good (Good to Soft in straight)

No. Form Horse Age Wt Trainer Jockey
1 (3) 316120 Jedburgh 11 5 9-2 b J L Dunlop P Robinson
2 (6) 545414 King Jock (USA) 17 5 9-2 R J Osborne P Shanahan
3 (4) 220970 Babodana 30 6 8-12 M H Tompkins T P Queally
4 (1) 3819/26- Byron 465 5 8-12 t Saeed bin Suroor L Dettori
5 (7) 6-41344 Polar Ben 11 7 8-12 J R Fanshawe J P Spencer
6 (2) 018217 Quito (IRE) 17 9 8-12 b D W Chapman R Winston
7 (8) 9-10224 Stronghold 73 4 8-12 J H M Gosden R Hughes
8 (5) 041293 Daniella 17 4 8-9 p R Guest F P Ferris

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Saratoga

What happened, Brockguy? Was he pulled up?????

I hope he's okay.....
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Saratoga

Busy, busy.....

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/a...236816,00.html
Old 10-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Santa Anita

uh oh... from racingpost

AVID CHAPMAN has defended himself against criticism from a veterinary surgeon over his handling of Quito, the North Yorkshire trainer’s veteran sprinter with a strong public following.

John McKenna, who looks after the strings of Milton Bradley and Tony Carroll, claims in a letter to the Racing Post(see below) that continuing to run the popular nine-year-old after a long season borders “on abuse”. Quito, according to McKenna, “presented a sad spectre in the paddock“ before his 17th appearance of the campaign at Newmarket on Saturday.

Looking on that day, the Cheltenham-based vet later observed: “The horse had lost his neck, with his hindquarters falling away and his general listlessness clearly reflected a horse whose season was over - 50-1 SP rather supported this.”

McKenna went on: “I wonder what prevailed on connections to race this plucky competitor again 24 hours after his previous effort when last of 14, also at Newmarket?

“His mentors should look to their sporting and welfare considerations in this matter - I consider the foregoing to be bordering on abuse of a genuine horse who has already won twenty races.” Chapman, who excels with sprinters as the exploits of Chaplin’s Club and Glencroft proved, pointed out that Quito, beaten a neck by Reverence in last month’s Group 1 Betfred Sprint Cup, won the ‘best-turned-out’ prize at Newmarket on Friday, but failed to get the run of the race after breaking too sharply from the stalls.

Chapman said: “He came out the next day and still looked well- I thought he would win the ’best-turned-out’ again, but they probably thought once was enough - and he ran a bloody good race I thought (in finishing eighth to Sleeping Indian). He was only half length behind Art Museum for which there was a ton of money, and had good horses like Welsh Emperor, Jeremy, Aeroplane and Stronghold behind him.”

Admitting he had been “pig-sick the first day, and delighted the second”, Chapman has two more possible options for Quito with a mile race at Newmarket on October 28 and a 6f event at Windsor on November 4.

“We will have to see how he is, but at the moment he is wonderfully well and in fact the vet and his assistant came to the yard yesterday and remarked how well he is looking,” said Chapman, adding: “I suppose his form has deteriorated in his last three or four runs, but that is only circumstances, and at the moment I can’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be running again next year.”

#Grand