Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2006, 03:00 PM
eurobounce

Default Top Flight at Aqueduct

Man, that stinks they took the 8 down because of the whip on Malibu Mint. The 8 was blowing by the 3 anyway. But in NY it is an automatic take down when the whip hits another horse.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Too bad that's not the case in California or else Bordonaro would have another stakes win to his name and would be the champion sprinter this year.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-24-2006, 03:12 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Too bad that's not the case in California or else Bordonaro would have another stakes win to his name and would be the champion sprinter this year.
King, that was the first thing I thougt of. The 8 horse was the clear winner turning for home. He went on to win by like 4-no way, a whip on the nose causes a horse to lose 4 lengths.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Jerome Park

There is NO rule that says it's an automatic takedown.

It was a flat out terrible call and I needed the winner. Just ridiculous.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:16 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
There is NO rule that says it's an automatic takedown.

It was a flat out terrible call and I needed the winner. Just ridiculous.
Thanks for letting me know that BTW. I thought it was a rule. I thought it was a horrible call. No way way Malibut Mint was going to win.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
really can i hit you in the nose wile you run next to me...ill bet you stop..
Maybe, Maybe not--but I have seen horses get whipped in the nose and win. I am sure it is different. Malibu Mint got hit on the face about 100 yards from the line and was losing ground the entire time.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Washington Park

How about Malibu Mint was drifting out into the#8 . Is the jockey supposed to stop whipping. I think the 3 blind mice should have taken that into concideration..
Old 11-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Santa Anita

I don't see how anyone can say a horse cannot lose 4 lenghts by gettin hit in the face with a whip. Heck, they prolly lose more than that. I wouldn't want to get hit with a whip in the face.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Santa Anita

No. But whips are not for hitting other horses in the head. What's there to see ?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Flemington

Game horses can rally back on.This horse running tomorrow(Tontine Too) looked beat in his last race,and came back on.Spooky Mulder looked beat last week,and came back on.She deserves the chance to rally back.I think the fact that you are close enough to be hit by an opposing jock's whip makes it hard to rule out a re-rally.I saw the race,and was expecting her to battle back.My guess(cuz we will never know) is that M MINT would have lost by a small margin (a half a length to a length.) I wouldn't rule out her re-rallying for the win there.Maybe that's why they made the change.I thought there was an auto DQ on it in New York.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
King, that was the first thing I thougt of. The 8 horse was the clear winner turning for home. He went on to win by like 4-no way, a whip on the nose causes a horse to lose 4 lengths.
Yeah, we all saw who really won the race. Unfortunately, an undeserving winner will get the reward.

Guess Mo Cuishle is a fraud.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Jerome Park

There is NO rule!

By the way, at least an honorable mention for most hilarious internet post of the year to the poster who claimed getting hit by the whip could cost a horse four lengths.

Even my fish laughed at that one!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:22 PM
oracle80

I just got in and watched the replays and was puzzled and confused as to this takedown.
This is just awful, and I mean incredibly terrible.
The only reason the inside horse was struck with the whip was because she bore into it.
Its unreasonable to take this horse down, just ridiculous and these stewards are the pits.
A jocky reaches back to hit his horse and the other horse bears into it and its a takedown when the inside horse was obviously done?

One other thing, I watched the replay of the first race and it sure looked to me as if the winner banged and collided with the Paragallo horse. YOu can clearly see contact and a hard bump. I wasn't watching races live today, can anyone tell me if there was an inquiry or objection in that race, and how the hell that horse could stay up and the winner of the feature could come down?

I had absolutely no money riding on either but I just can't understand the logic of dq'ing the winner of the Top Flight at all.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:26 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Game horses can rally back on.This horse running tomorrow(Tontine Too) looked beat in his last race,and came back on.Spooky Mulder looked beat last week,and came back on.She deserves the chance to rally back.I think the fact that you are close enough to be hit by an opposing jock's whip makes it hard to rule out a re-rally.I saw the race,and was expecting her to battle back.My guess(cuz we will never know) is that M MINT would have lost by a small margin (a half a length to a length.) I wouldn't rule out her re-rallying for the win there.Maybe that's why they made the change.I thought there was an auto DQ on it in New York.

Dude, to quote Samuel L jackson that horse was deader than fried chicken.
Superimposing traits that you think a horse had into a dreamworld where reality is altered is not the way to watch and analyze races.
Malibu Mint was done, kaput, finito, dead. She bore out because that whats a lare percentage of tired horses do, and in the process of doing so was struck with the whip.
Why do I care if i didn't have money on it? because tomorrow it could be me or you who gets screwed.
These stewards are dreadful, and I mean incredibly inconsistent and awful.
I'm still stewing over Smockey Glacken being left up two saratoga'a ago after almost putting the Goldberg horse over the rail(i'm not exaggerating here, she almost caused a bad spill and they left her up).
These guys need to come out and explain to EVERYONE exactly what a foul is, and when the issue comes into play of whether or not the fouled horse was losing anyway comes into play.
This dq was a joke.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Flemington

"While many believe that a whip to the face is automatic grounds for disqualification, that is not the case. The rules state that a horse should be disqualified "if a jockey willingly strikes another horse or jockey" with the whip. The Aqueduct stewards did not deem Garcia's actions as willful, but they did determine it cost Malibu Mint a chance to win."-DRF

THEY THOUGHT SHE HAD A CHANCE TO COME BACK.I GIVE HER SOME CHANCE TO COME BACK.NOT MUCH,BUT SOME.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:36 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
"While many believe that a whip to the face is automatic grounds for disqualification, that is not the case. The rules state that a horse should be disqualified "if a jockey willingly strikes another horse or jockey" with the whip. The Aqueduct stewards did not deem Garcia's actions as willful, but they did determine it cost Malibu Mint a chance to win."-DRF

THEY THOUGHT SHE HAD A CHANCE TO COME BACK.I GIVE HER SOME CHANCE TO COME BACK.NOT MUCH,BUT SOME.

If those guys thought that cost her a chance to win, they had to be watching a different replay than I just did.
She was absolutely done.
This was a disgrace, and tomorrow it could be me or you.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

and it really doesn't matter if the stewards feels the winner would have won regardless. just look at secretariats dq in the hopeful...or was it the champagne?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Flemington

Coa had stopped her from coming out towards the other filly.I can understand him hitting her if she was moving over quickly at the time(he couldn't have been expected to know that she was gunna be there.)That was not the case.She wasn't moving laterally when she was hit.You should point some anger at the guy who caused this(Garcia.) I think he cost her a small shot to rally back on,but I see other horses cost horses a small chance for a better placing(all the time.)
Old 11-24-2006, 09:15 PM
eurobounce

Only way to take down the 8 horse is if the 3 horse finished 3rd. That is the only way.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Only way to take down the 8 horse is if the 3 horse finished 3rd. That is the only way.
Why would another horse have to pass Malibu Mint to make the DQ legit? I agree that Rahy's Appeal was the best horse in the race. I just don't understand your logic.