Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Santa Anita

Default Calvin on the Tonight Show?

I just heard it on Steve's show if I understood that right. I had thought it would be fun for one of the late night hosts to get him because that ride back on MTB was just crazy with his celebration and the number of times he's made me chuckle or laugh out loud being his crazy cajun self on tv I couldn't begin to tell you. This should be pretty fun.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Randwyck

Tonight?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Sam Houston

He's scheduled to be on the Tonight Show Tuesday, May 12
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Santa Anita

Tonight's the night. ETA: And by tonight it turns out I mean the 13th apparently. Sorry jezebel, it's not the 12th, that's Monday. I did hear Jay say his name and assumed he meant tonight. Must've been guests for the week.

Last edited by Merlinsky : 05-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Fairgrounds

Tuesday is the 12th. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
Tuesday is the 12th. Thanks for the heads up.
Ok it's official my computer clock thing is beyond screwy. It told me all day yesterday that it was the 12th, then again today. I need a nerf bat with which to pummel it.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 PM
The Curragh

Good job by boo boo.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfer33
Good job by boo boo.
I love Calvin, but that interview was a trainwreck.....
Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Fairgrounds

I missed it. Did he ask about the buzzer?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Yeah, you could tell that Leno didnt really have much respect for him and did not bring up the surrounding controversy of the race this week which would have made for some interesting discussion. I dont generally watch the late night bs, Im busy cappin for the next day.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
I missed it. Did he ask about the buzzer?
Nothing about the buzzer, but the FBI is reopening a cold case called "Bush track in the Bayou"
Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Nothing about the buzzer, but the FBI is reopening a cold case called "Bush track in the Bayou"
I have a couple win pics from back in the day, one is with the split rails from one of my mothers horses. If I can get the printer up and running, I will scan them and post them. Man, I grew up at those bush tracks and had the time of my life. And Calvin wasnt lying when he talked about painting a black horse white. I have seen some crazy things, one of the most memorable was being chased off a track in Krotz Springs by a bunch of ticked off coonasses with a shotgun cause my moms "barrel racing" horse out run their undefeated stud colt by daylight .hehe
Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfectfan
I have a couple win pics from back in the day, one is with the split rails from one of my mothers horses. If I can get the printer up and running, I will scan them and post them. Man, I grew up at those bush tracks and had the time of my life. And Calvin wasnt lying when he talked about painting a black horse white. I have seen some crazy things, one of the most memorable was being chased off a track in Krotz Springs by a bunch of ticked off coonasses with a shotgun cause my moms "barrel racing" horse out run their undefeated stud colt by daylight .hehe
They gave a new meaning to "paint" horse! I still hear of some of these races around these parts, as well as in Mississippi. For me, its all fun and games until somebody pulls out the shotguns.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
They gave a new meaning to "paint" horse! I still hear of some of these races around these parts, as well as in Mississippi. For me, its all fun and games until somebody pulls out the shotguns.
Yeah that was funny after we got a few miles down the road, not so much as we were throwing the horse in the trailer.lol But heck, I grew up at those bush tracks, so I thought it was normal! Can't say we havent done our share of tricking though. At one time we had 2 half brothers, one was sorrel with chrome everywhere and could win a halter class anywhere, the other, Red, was a barely 15hand, long, rangy thing, who did look like much but no one could beat him 250yds and we would drive up looking for a match and would always go to the "top" horse and ask them to match and they could pick who they wanted to run agianst...well of course it was always "Red" and man, those guys would be ticked off after he beat them 2-3 lenghts going 250yds! It got to the point the jock that rode him would try to get the other jocks to bet him $200, one jump out the gate!!!! Now thats confidence!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Yeah, you could tell that Leno didnt really have much respect for him and did not bring up the surrounding controversy of the race this week which would have made for some interesting discussion. I dont generally watch the late night bs, Im busy cappin for the next day.
How do you figure Leno didn't have any respect for him? Jay is by all accounts a blue collar guy who's nice to everybody and was trying to joke around a bit. Considering Calvin's won the Derby twice he's gonna give him more respect than some of the airhead starlets that've been on. Steve's references to Calvin as an interview prospect over the last week made me think any awkwardness would stem more from Calvin. About the race controversy, considering how much time they had to talk to him, it would just confuse folks (they'd then have to explain who Rachel was which, to do her justice, takes more than a couple sentences, it requires showing her Oaks at the very least) and really they didn't ask him much about Mine That Bird either beyond that pre-Derby history of the horse. What I think about is who at NBC is so on their game this year as opposed to prior coverage here or on ABC. Not only are they cross-promoting, they do what I figure they should do which is have the jockey or someone from the horse on the Tonight Show. The winner of the Daytona 500 and things like that gets to come on late night. Why not American horse racing's most famous race?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Come on down to Arizona for some awesome match races. All QH's, of course, and always bet the horse that ships from the furthest south.

The races here are actually well-ran, with photo-finish and all. Lots of money on the line in some of the races...
Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
How do you figure Leno didn't have any respect for him? Jay is by all accounts a blue collar guy who's nice to everybody and was trying to joke around a bit. Considering Calvin's won the Derby twice he's gonna give him more respect than some of the airhead starlets that've been on. Steve's references to Calvin as an interview prospect over the last week made me think any awkwardness would stem more from Calvin. About the race controversy, considering how much time they had to talk to him, it would just confuse folks (they'd then have to explain who Rachel was which, to do her justice, takes more than a couple sentences, it requires showing her Oaks at the very least) and really they didn't ask him much about Mine That Bird either beyond that pre-Derby history of the horse. What I think about is who at NBC is so on their game this year as opposed to prior coverage here or on ABC. Not only are they cross-promoting, they do what I figure they should do which is have the jockey or someone from the horse on the Tonight Show. The winner of the Daytona 500 and things like that gets to come on late night. Why not American horse racing's most famous race?
I agree with your post. I think it was a decent interview, especially for Calvin, who doesn't exactly have alot of experience on late-night TV. I liked how they had a commercial for The Preakness just before he came on, too.

For all the bitching that people are doing about lack of coverage, this year racing has been carried quite well. NBC has done, in my opinion, a very good job of promoting the Derby and now the Preakness with lots of their shows. I also loved how many sports pages across the country had big stories of Mine That Bird and the 50-1 odds on him.

People have also, it appears, taken notice, since the Derby had the best ratings in nearly 20 years. All of these things look good for racing, especially when it is time to renew TV contracts down the road.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Wow, I thought completely differently, I thought it was great! Jay was really nice, although Calvin started out really nervous, Jay brought up the Cajun angle, great to hear about how Calvin got into riding showing the pictures fro his youth, etc. Showing the Sports Illustrated cover was great too.

There was no point in bringing up ugly stuff, Rachael Alexander in the Preakness vs MTB, etc.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
As for calling me out on the Leno thing, youre right. I dont watch enough Leno to really make that statement. But as I said earlier on, boo boo did do a good job on his part.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Wow, I thought completely differently, I thought it was great! Jay was really nice, although Calvin started out really nervous, Jay brought up the Cajun angle, great to hear about how Calvin got into riding showing the pictures fro his youth, etc. Showing the Sports Illustrated cover was great too.

There was no point in bringing up ugly stuff, Rachael Alexander in the Preakness vs MTB, etc.
The ugly stuff?? How is Rachel vs MTB ugly stuff? I'm confused.