Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Randwyck

Default No More Marty Ball In San Diego

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

I wonder now if Wade Phillips wish he didn't take Cowboys job.

Now the Chargers have lost five coaches
Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Idlewild Airport

SHocking to keep him and then let him go. Now you missed out on top candidates.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Flemington

Guy can't get it done in the post. 14-2 during the season is useless if ya can't get it done in the post.From a business point of view,I would keep him,and make sure to fill the seats with a winning record.If ya want a ring,this ain't the guy.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Churchill Downs

This was shocking to read, I just wonder if marty playoff ball figured into this? Just wondering where the owner will look to fill marty job? Being a Proud Member of the Raider Nation I can only hope that the bolts fall on hard times....
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dollar Bill
This was shocking to read, I just wonder if marty playoff ball figured into this? Just wondering where the owner will look to fill marty job? Being a Proud Member of the Raider Nation I can only hope that the bolts fall on hard times....

It is a tough call I think...hard to fire a coach after a 14-2 season yet he simply can't win in the playoffs so...like others, I find the timing rather strange, it has to be a situation where he was (as reported) the loser in an internal power struggle. This is a good young team so I would think they will still find a lot of willing candidates, Rivers with an added year of experience and some of the best skill players in the league around him should be an all-star next season, the D is solid...can't see a major fall off here!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Keeneland

I hope Pete Carroll goes...

Joe McKnight will realize he made a wrong move by choosing USC if he does.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dollar Bill
Not really shocking. They were looking to get rid of Marty the year after Rivers rookie season. They couldn't do it before the draft that year, as the team was trying to take care of the stadium deal with the city.

What surprised the front office was the play of Brees that season, and the progress that was made by the team. Maybe a little motivation was kicked in the team when the Manning family called the Chargers "Perennial Losers" before the draft.

Of course finishing the 2nd half as the strongest team in the NFL, and losing their first game in the playoffs, was the excuse the owners finally needed.

Sort of the situation that Dick Jauron was in with the Bears at the beginning of the century.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Havre de Grace

Mortenson said last night that the coaches were the buffer between Marty and AJ Smith(GM). The mass exodus of coaches(6) portrays the screwed up atmosphere fostered by the Spanos family. I feel sorry for the players mostly, cuz it will take a miracle for them to pull together towards another great season. Sometimes....it's not good to be King!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Guy can't get it done in the post. 14-2 during the season is useless if ya can't get it done in the post.From a business point of view,I would keep him,and make sure to fill the seats with a winning record.If ya want a ring,this ain't the guy.
100 percent true, and I speak as a die hard Browns fan who knows full well what you are talking about. Amongst 3 teams, he has had the number 1 seed and home field advantage 4 times...(Cleve, Kc and SD) and not one of those reached the Super Bowl.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Arlington Park

The only thing that is surprising is that it didn't happen sooner. Schottenheimer is a decent coach, but he is an a.ss to work with.

Marty has not spoken directly with the team's GM (his boss) since the season ended. What the hell is that about?

Back in January, Marty turned down a 1 year extension worth $4.5 mil with a $1 mil buyout. TURNED IT DOWN! What the hell was that about?

Marty wanted Brees. Smith wanted Rivers. Marty lost.

Cameron and Phillips both left. Spanos and Smith figured it would be hard to get decent assistants. They're right. Marty's a bit of a a.ss.

Don't feel too bad for Marty. He's getting $4 million for 2007. Buys a lot of golf balls.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Dee Tee Stables

if MS was going to get to the show, this was the best chance, his best shot-and it didn't happen. chargers are loaded with talent..
also, after the loss, a lot of people expected him to go--and the owner offered him an extension, which marty turned down. i think that hurt him more than anything. he evidently wasn't interested in long term-so why should the owner be?