Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
The Curragh

Default HSM- Horse Society Magazine

anyone subscribe, or think of subscribing to this?

this months cover is what caught my eye

-bt-
Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Saratoga

It is great. I subscribed. It has some real good article and a smoking hot chick everywhere named Stephanie Pine......

Byk is also on the advisory board
Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I get updates from the magazine all the time. I might have to subscribe.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Woodbine

Just got my first issue. Definitely worth the subscription.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Randwyck

I subscribe, and like it overall.
I think the magazine would do itself a favor by adding more content, and less fluff....the articles could be a little more in depth.

Also, I'm not sure what horse racing fan is interested in looking at dozens of photos of owners/rich people (many of whom you've never heard of) at parties and charity events. These aren't celebrities, they're just rich people, and why it doesn't really bother me (I too noticed the number of hot photos of this Stephanie Pine person), I'm just not sure how showcasing this "lifestyle" is really that appealing to race fans.
Judging by the advertisers, they seem to be Targeting an upscale demographic and not cater to the ordinary race fan. Just my two cents.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Washington Park

i saw her at the launch party, and i nearly launched!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
I subscribe, and like it overall.
I think the magazine would do itself a favor by adding more content, and less fluff....the articles could be a little more in depth.

Also, I'm not sure what horse racing fan is interested in looking at dozens of photos of owners/rich people (many of whom you've never heard of) at parties and charity events. These aren't celebrities, they're just rich people, and why it doesn't really bother me (I too noticed the number of hot photos of this Stephanie Pine person), I'm just not sure how showcasing this "lifestyle" is really that appealing to race fans.
Judging by the advertisers, they seem to be Targeting an upscale demographic and not cater to the ordinary race fan. Just my two cents.
It is catering to the upscale, they have advertisements for $2k watches and $500 shoes, not many people roll that hard. If I had to guess, they are targeting 21-45 males with some dough

I got it to look at the pictures and read something that isn't online
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
It is catering to the upscale, they have advertisements for $2k watches and $500 shoes, not many people roll that hard. If I had to guess, they are targeting 21-45 males with some dough

I got it to look at the pictures and read something that isn't online
Visually, it's a nice casual read and a lot of the photography is good.
I just wish it were a little meatier in terms of content, as even the Lauren Stitch articles about Pedigree (which come across as interesting and relevent on Steve's radio show) appear clincal and lifeless in print.

And the editor will need some luck to keep this publication going if he's just going to cater to his upscale racing friends. I understand what side of racing he wants to capture, but I'm afraid it won't appeal to most of the fans I see at the track.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Washington Park

I forget which page number it is that has a watch you can buy for only $200,000 bucks. Yes, i dont think the track people i know can fork that over.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Tropical Park

It reminds me of Post Time USA with just a bunch of photos and little substance. I wouldn't pay for a year's subscription up front because I suspect it won't be around that long unless the publisher digs deeply into his own pockets. A media buyer pal told me most of the few ads they have had were trades or deeply discounted. Bad time for a start up targeting the luxury lifestyle and a tiny niche market.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchos1
It reminds me of Post Time USA with just a bunch of photos and little substance. I wouldn't pay for a year's subscription up front because I suspect it won't be around that long unless the publisher digs deeply into his own pockets. A media buyer pal told me most of the few ads they have had were trades or deeply discounted. Bad time for a start up targeting the luxury lifestyle and a tiny niche market.
a year subscription was only $15, hardly going out on a limb
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
a year subscription was only $15, hardly going out on a limb
I wouldn't pay $15 or even half that for one or two issues. If they have no no substantial ad revenue to speak of, that might be all you'll get. I think I'd rather use the money for P3s.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I wouldn't pay $15 or even half that for one or two issues. If they have no no substantial ad revenue to speak of, that might be all you'll get. I think I'd rather use the money for P3s.
What the hell does ad revenue have to do with you reading something on the shitter every other month?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Santa Anita

I'd pick it up and skim it at the doctor's office.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
It reminds me of Post Time USA with just a bunch of photos and little substance.
But without Gene Stevens in the photographs.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
With all due respect, I find the above response unbelievably disappointing. I'm not trying to be insulting, but its' just too typical of the apathy and disdain people constantly spew around the sport on any and every topic...

Horse Society Magazine is the project of 29 year old Dino Baccari, a party promoter who fell in love with racing a couple of years ago and can't understand why there isn't more interest in the game which he finds infectiously fun. He started HSM to promote the game and has been tireless trying to build interest and excitement around events tied to major meets and events. It's just getting started. He has attracted professional magazine production types to help get it off the ground and deserves the support of the industry. I have been happy to flog HSM on the radio because like Dino, I want people to get interested in the game and be taken in by its' allure.

Why you would choose to coldwater a $15 investment to help a fledgling racing-related publicity vehicle is beyond me.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
What the hell does ad revenue have to do with you reading something on the shitter every other month?

i laughed

-bt-
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Santa Anita

The home page .
http://www.horsesocietymagazine.com/
Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
With all due respect, I find the above response unbelievably disappointing. I'm not trying to be insulting, but its' just too typical of the apathy and disdain people constantly spew around the sport on any and every topic...

Horse Society Magazine is the project of 29 year old Dino Baccari, a party promoter who fell in love with racing a couple of years ago and can't understand why there isn't more interest in the game which he finds infectiously fun. He started HSM to promote the game and has been tireless trying to build interest and excitement around events tied to major meets and events. It's just getting started. He has attracted professional magazine production types to help get it off the ground and deserves the support of the industry. I have been happy to flog HSM on the radio because like Dino, I want people to get interested in the game and be taken in by its' allure.

Why you would choose to coldwater a $15 investment to help a fledgling racing-related publicity vehicle is beyond me.
I don't feel any obligation to help this guy any more than I do Gene Stevens. If either one of them put out a good product, I'd buy it. But I don't have any interest in looking at something that's mostly full of pictures. I've seen copies of HSM, and it is badly in need of a qualified editor for what content it does offer. Frankly, I think my $15 will better help the industry if I push it through the windows.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT-
anyone subscribe, or think of subscribing to this?

this months cover is what caught my eye

-bt-
Apparently Smith can still ride when called on?