Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
The Curragh

Default The Mig ditching the left coast

http://www.drf.com/news/article/96354.html

mmmm interesting...........

-bt-
Old 07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Havre de Grace

Great news. NY could definitely use a good, consistent rider who cares about his mounts and always gives it his all. A welcome "re-addition" to the colony for sure.

NT
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

good deal now luzzie can stay home..
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Coach Pants

He seems to be a well liked guy around here so I'm just going to keep my trap shut and wish him luck.

Edit...

Did you see the price increases for parking and general admission? A 33% increase! Of all years to have a dramatic increase. I'll **** golden bricks if they have an increase in attendance.

Last edited by Coach Pants : 07-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
good deal now luzzie can stay home..
Luzzi should stay home anyway.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK
Luzzi should stay home anyway.
uhhhhhhhhh he did stay home didn't he?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 PM
The Curragh

Doesn't it seem more like the guy wasn't all that successful out there compared to what he'll likely do here...the "family line" is certainly a great thing if he's being sincere but given the win percentage he had at the Wood and SA this year I have to say the coincidence is worth noting.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
Doesn't it seem more like the guy wasn't all that successful out there compared to what he'll likely do here...the "family line" is certainly a great thing if he's being sincere but given the win percentage he had at the Wood and SA this year I have to say the coincidence is worth noting.

Come on, man, that's pretty weak.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think the MIG would be perfect as a steward when he retires. Let's recruit him from now.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I think the MIG would be perfect as a steward when he retires. Let's recruit him from now.
He certainly knows how to watch a race.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Oriental Park

I think he was a bit caugt in the middle as an older rider. He is not young and up and coming like some of those kids out there and he does not have the rep that say a Solis, Nakatani or Smith have so it put him in a middle position to get good mounts. One thing that is very different from the east coast to a certain extent is that you have to work horses in the morning to get mounts, where your rep can do alot of that for you out west. I dont know how much he worked horses, maybe a lot, but that is one thing you have to do out west.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Jerome Park

I'm going to guess that few, if any, spent more time out in the mornings than Mig.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Oriental Park

I was just pointing out a big difference for top riders out east to west, how many does JV work? Bailey rarely worked horses, I mean 6-8 a morning.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Come on, man, that's pretty weak.
Andy, don't even waste your time.

Eric
Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
Absolutely! Many people have said this. Although, with his passion, people skills, and being an excellent horseman, he is one of the few who could become a trainer as well. It might not be a wise economic decision, but that's another discussion, LOL.

Eric
Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
I think he was a bit caugt in the middle as an older rider. He is not young and up and coming like some of those kids out there and he does not have the rep that say a Solis, Nakatani or Smith have so it put him in a middle position to get good mounts. One thing that is very different from the east coast to a certain extent is that you have to work horses in the morning to get mounts, where your rep can do alot of that for you out west. I dont know how much he worked horses, maybe a lot, but that is one thing you have to do out west.
You never have to worry about Richie's work ethic.

Eric
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Oriental Park

I am not worried, just added a difference between the two places, notice the comment "maybe a lot".
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
I was just pointing out a big difference for top riders out east to west, how many does JV work? Bailey rarely worked horses, I mean 6-8 a morning.
Johnny works few horses, but that's because he has something that other jocks don't have -- his agent! Bailey worked plenty of horses in his day, for guys like Mott and Frankel. He wasn't out there working racehorses everyday as he wasn't riding a lot of them and those he was riding he didn't have to work.

I remember one weekend at the Spa, Bailey won something like two G1's, a G2, and maybe a G2 -- at the Spa, somewhere else and then back at the Spa. There he was Sunday morning, 5:30am or so, right at Frankel's barn getting up on horses.

Like him or not, personally, professionally, doesn't matter, I don't think what Bailey did or didn't do in the mornings defines what he did in the afternoons.

IMO, 6 to 8 a morning is a lot, relatively speaking.

Eric
Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
Johnny works few horses, but that's because he has something that other jocks don't have -- his agent! Bailey worked plenty of horses in his day, for guys like Mott and Frankel. He wasn't out there working racehorses everyday as he wasn't riding a lot of them and those he was riding he didn't have to work.

I remember one weekend at the Spa, Bailey won something like two G1's, a G2, and maybe a G2 -- at the Spa, somewhere else and then back at the Spa. There he was Sunday morning, 5:30am or so, right at Frankel's barn getting up on horses.

Like him or not, personally, professionally, doesn't matter, I don't think what Bailey did or didn't do in the mornings defines what he did in the afternoons.

IMO, 6 to 8 a morning is a lot, relatively speaking.

Eric
that was my point, Bajarano, Nakatani, Solis, etc, you know the "made" guys have to do that out west. The last time Bailey worked six he was probably 25, the trainers dont care about who you are, to get mounts you have to work the horses.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
that was my point, Bajarano, Nakatani, Solis, etc, you know the "made" guys have to do that out west. The last time Bailey worked six he was probably 25, the trainers dont care about who you are, to get mounts you have to work the horses.
Bailey worked horses, regularly, throughout his career. Maybe the last time you saw him work horses was when he was 25, but he worked a few after that. Maybe 6 to 8, but perhaps not much more, LOL.

Eric