Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Cunningham Racing

Default Lava Man vs. Bernardini = Seabiscuit vs. War Admiral?

...I can't help but recognize the vast similarities, although this may be on a smaller scale...West coast vs. East coast, Blue collar vs. Blue blood, both dominant and very prolific in their respective regions...

Nobody will give Lava Man a chance to beat Bernardini - including me - but if he does and does it on the raod (@ CD) then it very well could shape up as a Seabiscuit-esque type of story for the media to grasp ahold of....interesting...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
...I can't help but recognize the vast similarities, although this may be on a smaller scale...West coast vs. East coast, Blue collar vs. Blue blood, both dominant and very prolific in their respective regions...

Nobody will give Lava Man a chance to beat Bernardini - including me - but if he does and does it on the raod (@ CD) then it very well could shape up as a Seabiscuit-esque type of story for the media to grasp ahold of....interesting...
Nobody is giving him a chance? Well there goes your credibility right there with that ignorant statement.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Nobody is giving him a chance? Well there goes your credibility right there with that ignorant statement.
The majority of people aren't giving Lava Man much of a chance...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
The majority of people aren't giving Lava Man much of a chance...
Simply incorrect. If his odds are 5-1 or less there are alot of people giving him a chance. Besides Joel said nobody is giving him a chance. I wish that were true. I'd love to see the horse at 20-1 or greater.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Randwyck

the majority of the people on the east coast.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Simply incorrect. If his odds are 5-1 or less there are alot of people giving him a chance. Besides Joel said nobody is giving him a chance. I wish that were true. I'd love to see the horse at 20-1 or greater.
I just love how everything that is said by Joel is taken so seriously... he could have said "nobody" and meant that in a facetious manner, who knows. I know what he meant and I agree with him.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
I just love how everything that is said by Joel is taken so seriously... he could have said "nobody" and meant that in a facetious manner, who knows. I know what he meant and I agree with him.
Yeah I knew what he meant as well but he's flat out wrong. I also knew what raod meant.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yeah I knew what he meant as well but he's flat out wrong. I also knew what raod meant.
Then why dissect his posts? Come on Listerfiend, I know you're in there somewhere!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Then why dissect his posts? Come on Listerfiend, I know you're in there somewhere!
Because there are people who are picking Lava Man over Bernardini!! Bernardini is the favorite but that doesn't mean nobody is giving him a shot. Unless he's talking about members of this board, which for the most part have already annointed the horse the GOAT.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Actually in my opinion he was pretty darn correct in his statement. Just wait til BC day.. I bet there will be a LOT more money bet on Bernardini to win than Lava Man
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Actually in my opinion he was pretty darn correct in his statement. Just wait til BC day.. I bet there will be a LOT more money bet on Bernardini to win than Lava Man
Fine he's correct. Nobody is going to make a win wager on Lava Man.

Jesustapdancingchrist.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Balletto

whoa now fellas... lets not get your weenies in a twist. bernadini will be the favorite... agreed? lava man will probably be second choice but probably still a nice price considering... agreed? now hug it out bitches.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
whoa now fellas... lets not get your weenies in a twist. bernadini will be the favorite... agreed? lava man will probably be second choice but probably still a nice price considering... agreed? now hug it out bitches.
You are cracking me up girl! LOL!!! Steve is going to be on your a$$ with all of this weenie talk today!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
And all of the people who bet on Lava Man are a bunch of nobodies. I worked for Churchill and I know! Hmmph

*points nose to the sky*
Old 10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Fine he's correct. Nobody is going to make a win wager on Lava Man.

Jesustapdancingchrist.
Unfortunatly you take comments way out of context. Cunningham was very correct in saying that Lava man is the David to Bernardini being Goliath. That does not mean that people will not bet on "David" to win, they will, he will be second or third choice depending on how Invasor trains up to the race (in my opinion Lava Man will be the second choice). But the Bern' will be the clear favorite.

Lava Man also has a chance, if Bernardini stumbles or gets boxed in or simply runs like Point Given did on Derby day, Lava Man (or Invasor) should win. If Bern' runs a clean race, he will be tough but Bernardini is again, in my opinion, the better horse.

Also, people will doubt Lava Man because he is running outside of California. Not to take away any credit from Lava Man, because he is a very good horse who is a Grade 1 winner on turf and dirt, but he may be in over his head against Bernardini.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
It will be difficult to get my weenie in a twist because I am a girl! (the bitches comment was more accurate for me)
Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
It will be difficult to get my weenie in a twist because I am a girl! (the bitches comment was more accurate for me)
So am I... but I can assure you that Pillow Pants and Cunningham are not.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
So am I... but I can assure you that Pillow Pants and Cunningham are not.
It's usually the women that cheer for Bernardini.

*runs*
Old 10-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
It's usually the women that cheer for Bernardini.

*runs*
Myself not included... I'm one of the few on here (yourself included ) that would like to see more before I annoint him the next great one. The horse is definitely talented, but I'm now bowing down just yet.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Fairgrounds

It's tough for me to pick Lava Man, because he runs on the front end. I['m cheering for him to break up my best if it's any horse. But carrying over the pace (unchallenged or not) at that 1 1/4 Mile distance is so damn tough... He'd have to be Ghostzapper hehe...
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...