Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I forgot about him. Sounds like a synthetic course of action (Spiral, Blue Grass, Lexington) is in order for him.

Better look out for Team Valor, though.
I'm sure things will change, but it seems nobody of note is headed to the Louisiana Derby, other than the 2nd place finisher in the Risen Star and a couple others.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush View Post
I'm sure things will change, but it seems nobody of note is headed to the Louisiana Derby, other than the 2nd place finisher in the Risen Star and a couple others.
I wonder if Bob Baffert already sent his two horses for the Rebel. Seems silly to have both in there with similar running styles. He should toss Castaway in the Louisiana Derby. However, Baffert hasn't started a horse at Fair Grounds for ages now.

Does Kelly Breen have anything besides My Adonis?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I wonder if Bob Baffert already sent his two horses for the Rebel. Seems silly to have both in there with similar running styles. He should toss Castaway in the Louisiana Derby. However, Baffert hasn't started a horse at Fair Grounds for ages now.

Does Kelly Breen have anything besides My Adonis?
Secret Circle only for Rebel apparently. Castaway to Sunland.

Is Wimbledon possibly the last Baffert LA Derby runner?

(And My Adonis is Breen's lone TC nominee..)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Secret Circle only for Rebel apparently. Castaway to Sunland.

Is Wimbledon possibly the last Baffert LA Derby runner?

(And My Adonis is Breen's lone TC nominee..)
He ran The Program there two years ago in the La Derby, but he has certainly sent very few over the last 8 years.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
He ran The Program there two years ago in the La Derby, but he has certainly sent very few over the last 8 years.
Didn't Indian Blessing run there in 2008?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Didn't Indian Blessing run there in 2008?
Yep. She traded decisions with Proud Spell in two starts. The Fair Grounds Oaks was her first defeat.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
OMG.. The Program. Just came back a few weeks ago at FG in one of Tonto Fontenot recent wins.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
OMG.. The Program. Just came back a few weeks ago at FG in one of Tonto Fontenot recent wins.
Another of the Thoroughbred Legends failures.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Goodwood

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cigar Street in the La. Derby.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Especially after Dan Ilman's "Kentucky Derby: Under The Radar" article in the DRF.

Not sure why that column is called that. Everyone is aware of these run-off maiden winners. He was throwing out Bodemeister's name (who was featured after his maiden win) in the same article, as though he was unheard of before this weekend.

It should be called "Kentucky Derby: Behind The Eight Ball".
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I've been wondering why Baffert has been avoiding FG the last few years. He obviously liked Fair Grounds in the past, or he wouldn't have shipped in firepower like SBD, General Challenge, Real Quiet, Captain Steve, etc. for the bigger races. He even had a small division at FG about ten years ago.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
They seem hellbent on keeping Dominguez, so I bet they'll keep him in the Fla Derby. He only needs to run 3rd to have enough graded earnings.

I'm sure Take Charge Indy will be diverted somewhere else now. Pat Byrne is not going to run in a "tough" race with that paper tiger.
Prolly some Allowance Race- honestly sick of Byrne already this year,has already missed 2 easy graded earnings chances and now we get to hear him talk about how running against Rags,Alpha and El Padrino might be too hard? I read somewhere that he might just run him in minor Derbies(WV,Iowa,Ohio) and then the Travers?

Also Sheppard kept talking about Ever So Lucky to the Bluegrass after he ran in the Swale
Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Back too quick. Arkansas Derby likliest scenario..
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Back too quick. Arkansas Derby likliest scenario..
My sources tell me that the FG is campaigning the trainer HARD to run in the La Derby.

Probably too quick, as you say, though.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
My sources tell me that the FG is campaigning the trainer HARD to run in the La Derby.

Probably too quick, as you say, though.
The Louisiana Derby does make a lot of sense. He likes the track, won't have to ship, and the race probably will not have as tough a field as the Arky Derby will. Cigar Street can finish second, pick up $200k, and basically punch his ticket to Louisville. If he doesn't fire, and they want to press on, he can always come back in 13 days for the Arkansas Derby or Blue Grass.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth View Post
The Louisiana Derby does make a lot of sense. He likes the track, won't have to ship, and the race probably will not have as tough a field as the Arky Derby will. Cigar Street can finish second, pick up $200k, and basically punch his ticket to Louisville. If he doesn't fire, and they want to press on, he can always come back in 13 days for the Arkansas Derby or Blue Grass.
Then there's always the Lexington a week later if the Arkansas Derby or Blue Grass doesn't provide the desired result. Then, in the unlikely event he fails in the Lexington as well, he can try the Jerome at Aqueduct.

Why not just avoid all the trouble and send him to Rood and Riddle now?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Then there's always the Lexington a week later if the Arkansas Derby or Blue Grass doesn't provide the desired result. Then, in the unlikely event he fails in the Lexington as well, he can try the Jerome at Aqueduct.

Why not just avoid all the trouble and send him to Rood and Riddle now?
There is always time for the Derby Trial.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Steve Byk

Discreet Dancer to LA Derby..
Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Steve Byk

Anticipated Rebel entrants today..

Adirondack King (Servis)
Atigun (McPeek)
Secret Circle (Baffert)
Jake Mo (Milligan)
Majestic Stride (Bonde)
Najjaar (Peitz)
Optimizer (Lukas)
Pee H Dee (Richard)
Reckless Jerry (Smith)
Ring It Up (Richard)
Scatman (Lauer)
Sabercat (Asmussen)
Unbridled's Note (Asmussen)*
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Anticipated Rebel entrants today..

Adirondack King (Servis)
Atigun (McPeek)
Secret Circle (Baffert)
Jake Mo (Milligan)
Majestic Stride (Bonde)
Najjaar (Peitz)
Optimizer (Lukas)
Pee H Dee (Richard)
Reckless Jerry (Smith)
Ring It Up (Richard)
Scatman (Lauer)
Sabercat (Asmussen)
Unbridled's Note (Asmussen)*
Both Ring It Up and Unbridled's Note are entered in a N2L on Friday afternoon. Unbridled's Note drew the 11 post, so he could come out, but both would be best served by staying in that allowance race. Of course, there are a few others on here with no business running...Optimizer.