Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

very much enjoyed the playing of riva ridges derby and belmont, altho the belmont tape was a bit fuzzy. i love going back in time to some of the best races this sport has seen. i always thought riva ridge was one of the more underrated and ignored horses-he was pretty much put in the shadows by his younger stablemate.
i missed some of them-only caught one of bold forbes' races, but will listen to the replay tomorrow morning while riding the roads...
some of course will disagree, but i enjoyed his segment today. i'm a big history buff, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Ellis Park

If Bob Fox's segment is boring, I have to blame Steve for this.

Listen, Steve is a great host with a great voice for radio (that's right, I'll kiss the man's ass all day long because I tune in everyday during my drive home from work and then I listen TO THE EXACT SAME THING I HEARD THE NIGHT BEFORE on the drive to work the next day, so he must be doing something right), but there are certain guests he babies. I understand respect for your elders and being a gentleman and ambassador of the game and all that, but imagine the Bob Fox segment if Bob Fox were John Clayton and Steve were Sean Salisbury. I'm not sure how you can conjure up that much animosity between a host who makes every attempt to be a "class act" and an old man talking about the old days and playing YouTube videos....on the radio....but it sure would liven up the Bob Fox segment.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i try to catch it live, but have better luck with morning replays instead. usually manage to get the whole show between the two airings. listened to andy serling this morning-a man of few words! lol enjoyed it all the same.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Newmarket

Question New thoroughbred legacy without Bob Fox

Is Bob part of racing history or will his legacy continue on???

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Sam Houston

Default Bring him back!

I hadn't seen this thread until today . . . I logged in to see what happened to Bob Fox, a segment that I looked forward to each week.

Here's one STRONG VOTE in favor of bringing him back!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Steve Byk

While I appreciate the contribution Bob Fox has made, the Thoroughbred Legacy segment will be going in a new direction from this point. It will feature individuals, races, horses, etc., from racing history with more in-depth analysis and conversation on topics and less replays of races. One thing that will certainly not be back is the airing of copyrighted material produced by others. I'm confident listeners will enjoy the feature as much as ever and invite suggestions for future topics. And Fox will visit on occasion I'm sure.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Washington Park

And i will be giving my bowling scores...0.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
While I appreciate the contribution Bob Fox has made, the Thoroughbred Legacy segment will be going in a new direction from this point. It will feature individuals, races, horses, etc., from racing history with more in-depth analysis and conversation on topics and less replays of races. One thing that will certainly not be back is the airing of copyrighted material produced by others. I'm confident listeners will enjoy the feature as much as ever and invite suggestions for future topics. And Fox will visit on occasion I'm sure.

I really enjoyed the new direction. I am sure that the folks you are interviewing also appreciate the interest in some of their past accomplishments.

I assume this is probably more work for Steve and KC, so, as always, thank you for all that you do. Looking forward to Valasquez next week (I think that is who you said would be on)
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Les Bois

i think bob fox is great
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Ellis Park

What happened with Bob Fox? Was there some kind of problem with him playing copyrighted material or something? I know that his segments were being met with mixed reaction (at least around here). Maybe he just got the ax for a more dynamic historical segment?

I am going to miss those bowling stories. Electrifying.

You know how when you hear someone's voice who you have never seen and you try to envision what they look like based on their voice? Well, when Bob talks I'm picturing Mickey Rooney in The Black Stallion. With John White, it's ESPN's John Clayton all the way.

Funny thing is, I've seen John White since, but my mind is stubbornly painting me a picture of The Professor.

For whatever the above nonsense is worth...
Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean smith
What happened with Bob Fox? Was there some kind of problem with him playing copyrighted material or something? I know that his segments were being met with mixed reaction (at least around here). Maybe he just got the ax for a more dynamic historical segment?

You know how when you hear someone's voice who you have never seen and you try to envision what they look like based on their voice? Well, when Bob talks I'm picturing Mickey Rooney in The Black Stallion. With John White, it's ESPN's John Clayton all the way.

Funny thing is, I've seen John White since, but my mind is stubbornly painting me a picture of The Professor.
For whatever the above nonsense is worth...
So, who would be the Mary-Ann of the show?

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Ellis Park

That would be "The Professor" John Clayton, of course.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Washington Park

sorry, but john white has always reminded me of mr. rogers
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean smith
I'll try and pick up the slack for him ...

5th from the top ....

http://www.tnopen.org/History/Averages/AveragesST.html