Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it was exactly the type of hit that the nhl has been trying to put a stop to-and with good reason. the puck was long gone; illegal hit resulting in a severe concussion.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Woodbine

Whether he left his feet or not, he targeted Horton's head...there's no way to spin it otherwise. If that's a legal hit, then toss the rule book.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
P.S. - I think there's a big difference between leaving one's feet to make a hit, and leaving one's feet because of a hit. Rome left his feet because he hit Horton just that hard, as opposed to leaving one's feet to make an illegal hit.

Here is an example of the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5E90MtPMYg
he left his feet because he launched himself, made a vicious hit, and an illegal hit. i love hockey, love the physicality of it, and the hard, LEGAL hits. this was definitely beyond the boundaries, and he was given the appropriate punishment. i don't think there's a difference, or a reason to make any type of judgement as to why he left his feet. he left them, hit a guy who wasn't on the puck anymore.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
he left his feet because he launched himself, made a vicious hit, and an illegal hit. i love hockey, love the physicality of it, and the hard, LEGAL hits. this was definitely beyond the boundaries, and he was given the appropriate punishment. i don't think there's a difference, or a reason to make any type of judgement as to why he left his feet. he left them, hit a guy who wasn't on the puck anymore.
I said from the get-go that the guy deserved games for a clearly dirty hit. That being said, I'd much rather a guy try to make a big play like Rome did the other night than do what Matt Cooke or Steve Downie do with regularity, i.e., turn into a human missile.

I stand by the statement that if Horton still has the puck, that's 100 percent, absolutely a legal hit. At some point, the onus has to be on the player with the puck to be somewhat aware of his surroundings. Rome hit him with a shoulder in the open ice - if that is the kind of hit we're trying to get rid of in hockey, then the NHL might as well ban checking in general.

Three youtube videos were posted before of perfectly legal hits of a similar ilk to what Aaron Rome did the other night with the only significant difference being that the players in those videos has the puck whilst Nathan Horton didn't. There's a big difference between hitting to kill (see: Matt Cooke on every shift) and trying to make a big hit and epicly failing in its timing (see: Aaron Rome in game three). Rome deserved the suspension, but for the result rather than the intent.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i think downie and cooke should be run out of the game. the thugs need to go.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i think downie and cooke should be run out of the game. the thugs need to go.
Cooke is a weasel of the highest order. No place for him anywhere outside a professional wrestling ring.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Oaklawn

Another strong performance for the Bs last nite. Hopefully they can maintain their momentum tomorrow nite.

Milbury with funny comment between 2nd and 3rd periods. He called the Sedin twins Thelma and Louise. While very funny, probably not an appropriate comment. T & L were very tough girls.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Since the Aaron Rome hit, the B's are on a 12-1 run. Pretty incredible stuff. The Canucks have a long and storied history of being soft defensively, and it showed the last two games. Ryan Kesler can't play all 12 forward positions.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Since the Aaron Rome hit, the B's are on a 12-1 run. Pretty incredible stuff. The Canucks have a long and storied history of being soft defensively, and it showed the last two games. Ryan Kesler can't play all 12 forward positions.
I'm sure that there are a couple last night that Luongo would like to have back.
On the flip side, Tim Thomas has been incredible.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

ryan kesler is not 100% hurt leg or ankle in sharks series.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

and boy is barry melrose getting faaaaat.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Flemington

Wow, another great game.

Tough break for the B's losing on that semi-flukey goal.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Gulfstream Park

It sure was great entertainment for the whole game. Makes me hate the f***ing NBA all the more. Here's looking forward to a Game 7 and a B's win!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Flemington

Wow, the Briuns have opened a can of whip-ass on the Canucks. About 12 minutes into the first and they are up 4-0 while chasing Luongo in the process.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Flemington

Game 7 will be fun.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Woodbine

I can't believe that a team one win from the Cup could come out with such a hideous effort basically from the opening faceoff...Jeez, come out flying for 10 minutes at least..Maybe Luongo will STFU and stop a puck in game 7. Vancouver should be embarassed by that debacle.
I also think Tim Thomas just wrapped up the Conn Smythe win or lose game 7.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco View Post
I can't believe that a team one win from the Cup could come out with such a hideous effort basically from the opening faceoff...Jeez, come out flying for 10 minutes at least..Maybe Luongo will STFU and stop a puck in game 7. Vancouver should be embarassed by that debacle.
I also think Tim Thomas just wrapped up the Conn Smythe win or lose game 7.
I thought the Canucks looked ok early, but Luongo let up a horrible first goal that gave the Bruins such a boost. They looked unstoppable for the rest of the period.

I agree with you regarding Thomas, barring a disasterous game I think he locked it up too.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Last time a player on the losing team won the Conn Smythe?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Last time a player on the losing team won the Conn Smythe?
Ron Hextall comes to mind, but i'm not 100% sure.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it was J.S. Giguere in 2003.