Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Oriental Park

Default Saratoga Racing starts a week from today YEA!!!!! Thoughts & Memories go here . . .

Saratoga is the most wonderful place on the Planet for Patty and me. We've been there many many time in the past but it's been awhile' since her health has turned in the wrong direction some 12+ years ago, and it costs a big pretty Texas penny for us to get up there.

The fact that it lies on the eastern edge of the Adirodacks, the larger most wonderfull place in the world for us, makes it even more special. We both grew up vacationing in the Adirodacks, most every summer . . . her in the western part and me in the central part of God's country. It is truly as close to Heaven as I will ever get.

The smells, the lakes, the smaller and gentler beautiful Hudson River, the vibe of top notch thoroughbred racing, the quaint, old beautiful city (buildings, environs and stately homes) is near perfection, also boasting one of the most prestigious private meccas of learning in the country . . . Skidmore College, impressive.

Oh, how we would love to get back there at leasst one more time but "I will visit it in my dreams", will have to be good enough for right now.

One of our last trips was hightened by the meet up with JolyB and his grandson, I believe. He's truly more impressive and wise gentleman than he is is here on the forum. It galvanizd our friendship for sure and being approximately the same age helps as well. The four of us enjoyed the wonderful day and if I remember correctly a may have even hit a wager or two. JB might remember the year of the meet u at The Spa, I don't.

So we'll enjoy playing many cards coming up from mid July to early September again . . . and it's just around the corner here and in my dreams.

Last edited by DonGuido : 07-06-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:46 AM
Oriental Park

Your tribute to the Spa brought back quite a few wonderful memories that I have of Saratoga even since Susan and I were first introduced to it in 1990 (the day when Go For Wand won the Alabama).

I especially remember spending a truly enjoyable time with you and Patty. Since then my grandson Tyler has grown up and I have more grandchildren that I hope to introduce to the joys of horseracing and the nuances of handicapping. They may not have any more interest in it than Tyler did, but who knows - it is a grandfather's duty to expose them to things that captivated our attention even as they find their own activities and interests.

You asked how long ago that meeting was. I couldn't remember so I looked it up the only way I knew how. The feature race that day was the Woodward and
I remember that you and Patty cashed a very nice win ticket on Alpha at something like 7-1. You called me "wise", but I wasn't smart enough to listen to you and picked someone else....... Anyway, according to NYRA records, that was 10 years ago in 2013. I'm not even sure that the Woodward is still part of the Labor Day weekend program.

Don't know whether I'll be able to make the trip this season or not. One way or the other, I will be tuned in on Opening Day when the announcer gets the crowd to chant "And they're off at Saratoga."

There are several new stakes races on this season's schedule. One that gives me lots of pleasure is a stakes races named after Harvey Pack. I enjoyed his droll commentary for many years and can still recall his wise advice - "Don't bet a horse as the favorite when it is doing something that it has never done before." Oven the years, that advice has save me more than a few dollars.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:39 AM
Oriental Park

JB, your wisdom not to be influenced by me over the years is underestimated as you have proved so many times. I can tell your fondness for Saratoga and all about it is equal to mine my friend. If not in reality, we will both be there togrther in mind and spirit this year. And I do remember that win bet . . . it was a rare, joyful feeling as I seldom realize positive cash in person at any track, let alone Saratoga.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:52 AM
Oriental Park

And when Saratoga opens each year it means college football is right around the corner.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:37 AM
Oriental Park

Here's a link to a very good article on Frank Mirahmadi, who will be the regular race caller for the upcoming (only 2 days away!!) Saratoga meet.

I remember when Frank was race caller at Hialeah and for several races every day he would do an impression of some other well known caller. Some of them were very funny. As he has moved to higher profile tracks, he has toned down his act and his calls are very professional.

https://www.drf.com/news/mirahmadi-l...nouncers-booth
Old 07-11-2023, 02:21 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Here's a link to a very good article on Frank Mirahmadi, who will be the regular race caller for the upcoming (only 2 days away!!) Saratoga meet.

I remember when Frank was race caller at Hialeah and for several races every day he would do an impression of some other well known caller. Some of them were very funny. As he has moved to higher profile tracks, he has toned down his act and his calls are very professional.

https://www.drf.com/news/mirahmadi-l...nouncers-booth
Great read. Nice to have a job that you love and keep at it for so many years at different venues no less. Another example of "good things happen to good people"!!! Love to be there this Thursday, listening to him and the jockeys chirping, while the horses thunder around the track with the smell of the Adirondacks in the air..
Old 07-11-2023, 03:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Great read. Nice to have a job that you love and keep at it for so many years at different venues no less. Another example of "good things happen to good people"!!! Love to be there this Thursday, listening to him and the jockeys chirping, while the horses thunder around the track with the smell of the Adirondacks in the air..
I know how you feel. When you can't be there in person, just visualize. On Thursday at 1:10PM (12:10 Central), call up your Twin Spires or equivalent ADW that carries the NYRA track feed, listen to Frank work the crowd, and join in the chant "...And they're off at Saratoga." I'll be doing the same.

Oh, yes I almost forgot. You can start your day be reading the Saratoga Special. Nothing else could get you into the spirit sooner.
https://thisishorseracing.com/news/t...eady-for-2023/