Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Santa Anita

Default The Mooseisloose

He got our attention with his name and made sure we'd never forget him with his first ever race, so I thought I should tell you all about this 2 year-old called The Mooseisloose.

He made his debut last month on his home track, and on the way to the start he decided he'd rather go back to his stall. So he tipped off the rider and galloped off, jumping the fence on the backstretch and heading back for his favourite box. When he was eventually retrieved and cleared by the vets to run, it seemed that he'd used up all his energy before the gates had even opened.

But he ran an amazing race considering his pre-start shenanigans, finishing a close 3rd behind Mufhasa (in my opinion the best of the 2008 NZ Derby contenders we've seen so far). Then he turned the tables on that horse to win his second start, and although he still doesn't yet understand what he's supposed to do on the racetrack he proudly returned to the circle after his first win holding his head high and tilting it in both directions looking for a reaction to his performance.

Tomorrow he runs in stakes company for the first time, up against undefeated filly Martini Red (currently 8-5 favourite).

No one really knows how good he is, and he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. But it's just so hard not to like a horse with his name and personality, plus he obviously has tons of ability. I'll let you know how he goes tomorrow and in some of his other races on the way to the 2000 Guineas in November! Go the Moose!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Saratoga

Oh! Great story and quite Rakti-esque so I'm already a fan.

Can't wait to hear how he does. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Santa Anita

He came 4th in the stakes race today, dropped out and wasn't interested in running for most of the race but then realised that he was meant to be running fast and flew down the stretch to just miss 3rd in a photo.

Don't think he would have beaten Martini Red anyway though, she's 3-for-3 now and killed them today.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Arlington Park

I liked your story and his name. Any way to see any of his races? Links? Thanks, Deb
Old 07-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Santa Anita

Sure, I just put his first win on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwh_nI2QqQ

Love George Simon's commentary at the end of the race. Great that he sounds as excited about a 2yo race up at Ruakaka as he does when he's calling G1 days at Ellerslie.

Something I noticed watching the race is that the second horse was Vanny Fair - he has placed in a stakes race since, so that's a quality field.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Saratoga

Thanks for sharing, ed!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Arlington Park

Thanks Ed. Enjoyed it. Let us know when he's racing again, ok? Deb