Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Turf Paradise

Default Bravo Rusty Arnold

http://www.drf.com/news/letter-editor-april-20-2014
Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Steve Byk

Letter to the Editor: Standing up for Asmussen

At a time when it has become very popular to bash trainer Steve Asmussen, I would like to take exception with that. In my nearly 40 years as a trainer, I don’t think I have seen a person more unfairly treated or have seen a quicker rush to judgment. What has gone on over the last two months has been nothing less than a public lynching.

I thought long and hard before I wrote this letter. Why get involved? It’s none of your concern. I am not a close friend of Steve’s, never so much as had a beer with him, never had a meal with him, don’t know his wife or her name. In all honesty, it would be better for me to see Steve railroaded out of the business. We compete for the same owners, the same horses, and are both highly competitive. He has claimed several horses from me and done well with some of them.

But I just could not sit back and watch this continue. I enjoy competing against him.

I have been stabled next to Steve at Saratoga for the last several years, close enough to see what goes on in his barn, and I can tell you there is not a better caretaker of a horse than he is. His horses get the best. Period. His barn is second to none. In my career, I have never had a better neighbor. Is Steve a little brash? Sure. Is he a little opinionated? Absolutely. Is he cruel to his horses? No way. Never.

Steve is being vilified because of a PETA video that he is barely a part of. The video was very ugly. The language was disturbing. However, its contents hardly demand the injustice that Steve is receiving.

The two veterinarians featured in the video, Drs. James Hunt and Mark Cheney, are two of the most respected veterinarians in the business. Their client list reads like the who’s who of racing: Bill Mott, Todd Pletcher, Kiaran McLaughlin, Shug McGaughey, Charles LoPresti, etc. You would have a hard time finding anyone who would not stand up for these two veterinarians. The two medications alluded to in the video (Lasix and thyroid powder) are both legal to have and legal to use. So, what crime has Steve committed?

Scott Blasi has pretty much ruined his own career. He would have a hard time finding a job in an industry in which he has worked for more than 20 years. There isn’t much more harm to do to Scott, but before another man’s career and life are ruined, please let me know: What crime has he been convicted of? I have not seen it. It should take more than an eight-minute, sensationalized PETA video to erase 30 years of hard work.

George R. “Rusty”Arnold II,
trainer
Lexington, Ky.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Saratoga

Bravo? Really?

... for writing a rather sophomoric letter about a month and a half late in defense of an ethically bankrupt trainer whose greatest gift to the game would be to leave it forever?

Okaaay.

Let's hear it for business as usual.

Sorry. I am not impressed.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

If nothing untoward has happened, why the pronouncement that blasi is done forever? Also, since nothing has happened with asmussen, what judgement are we talking about? Has he lost his license in any jurisdiction? No.
It is proper that investigations be done, all thing considered. Asmussen is no innocent babe, he can blame only himself for the reputation he has, the rap sheet he has.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Bravo? Really?

... for writing a rather sophomoric letter about a month and a half late in defense of an ethically bankrupt trainer whose greatest gift to the game would be to leave it forever?

Okaaay.

Let's hear it for business as usual.

Sorry. I am not impressed.
Yes. Bravo. I'm literally exhausted debating this topic. I've been in that shedrow for years. If you think ANY horse in that barn gets insufficient care then I have resolved myself to the fact that I cannot change your opinion. Good luck with your witch hunt. And as for your opinion on Rusty penning a "rather sophomoric letter.....about an ethically bankrupt trainer," I pity you.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
If nothing untoward has happened, why the pronouncement that blasi is done forever? Also, since nothing has happened with asmussen, what judgement are we talking about? Has he lost his license in any jurisdiction? No.
It is proper that investigations be done, all thing considered. Asmussen is no innocent babe, he can blame only himself for the reputation he has, the rap sheet he has.
Asmussen has never "pronounced" Blasi (your words) "done forever."
Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34 View Post
Asmussen has never "pronounced" Blasi (your words) "done forever."
I was referring to the letter writer, who said blasi had 'pretty much ruined his own career'.

But, how can that be? If the video is nothing major, how did blasi ruin his career?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34 View Post
Yes. Bravo. I'm literally exhausted debating this topic.
So exhausted that you started a thread...

Quote:
I was referring to the letter writer, who said blasi had 'pretty much ruined his own career'.

But, how can that be? If the video is nothing major, how did blasi ruin his career?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

My two cents, your not understanding. His career is ruined cause of everything that came out of his mouth.

And his career wont be ruined. He will go train in Saudi Arabia for a million a yr or start training from a farm somewhere. Might be an ahole but his services will be wanted and needed.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
My two cents, your not understanding. His career is ruined cause of everything that came out of his mouth.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post

And his career wont be ruined. He will go train in Saudi Arabia for a million a yr or start training from a farm somewhere. Might be an ahole but his services will be wanted and needed.
Correct.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
So exhausted that you started a thread...

With all due respect MMSC I did not start the thread to debate the topic. I simply posted a link to a well written editorial penned by a very respected horseman.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Arlington Park

I'm sure Rusty is well respected by horseplayers that auto-toss his entries.