Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Do you think that the 143 million dollar number is just a company line not to get Manny? Between their network and the new stadium, money shouldn't be a problem. Really in the grand scheme of things what's the big deal about going 10 million doallrs over budget? Obviously I'm talking about the baseball world here and everyone knows that they are all so far from reality it's ridiculous. But Manny to the Mets just seems like a natural fit. It would give them that big bat presence in the lineup that other teams would fear. Personally I don't think they have that now. They have already made big upgrades to their biggest weakness. But in my opinion getting Manny would put them over the top and guarentee that they are still playing in October this year.
A good bullpen and they would have been playing in October each of the last two years. The lineup is just fine with the only wild card being which Delgado shows up this year. Wright is still one of the best hitters in the league and Beltran is never an easy out. If Minaya wanted Manny he could have had him instead of K-Rod, Putz, and Perez. The owner let's Omar make the calls as long as Omar stays within the established budget. The Mets don't need Manny that badly, I'd rather we spend that other $10 million to get a lesser right handed bat in the OF and another good bullpen arm. Whether restricting him to a $143 million budget is the right thing to do is a whole other question but I don't think it is such a foregone conclusion that the new stadium is going to bring in a lot more money especially with the state of the economy.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Payroll is at $133 million right now, the owner has set a budget of $143 million for Minaya to work with. Minaya decided getting Perez back and adding K-Rod and Putz to the bullpen was a better use of available money than Manny. Mets could land someone else in the $10 million range but no way they can get Manny for anything less than $25 million so no chance of him coming unless he burns bridges with the Dodgers and suddenly becomes far cheaper. They do badly need a right handed bat in the OF to start against lefties though. Price is right on Abreu but he's a lefty so won't be a Met. Emil Brown seems the perfect sort of guy to get, can't hit righties to save his live but hits lefties quite well. Unfortunately I haven't heard his name mentioned in any rumors though.
Jermaine Dye?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Jermaine Dye?
Sure, if you guys will take on Luis Castillo.