Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
That's great..I think mine is 7 weeks away
PA, right?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
PA, right?
New York
Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Saratoga

Top Royelle had a big Dehere filly this morning. Mom and foal are doing well.

I am sweating people for pictures as I type this.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav

Very nice.. Are you breeding back on her foal heat? If so, how about Repent 5k, he is getting a lot of runners
Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

glad to hear they're doing well. look forward to seeing some pics if you're able to get them.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Very nice.. Are you breeding back on her foal heat? If so, how about Repent 5k, he is getting a lot of runners
She is going to Cactus Ridge. Once she gets back to Kentucky (next week sometime) we'll figure it out. For us, early foals really aren't all that important because we are not selling any of the foals.

Bob's Bean is going to Notional for 2010, and Wundelia is going to Yes Its True.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
She is going to Cactus Ridge. Once she gets back to Kentucky (next week sometime) we'll figure it out. For us, early foals really aren't all that important because we are not selling any of the foals.

Bob's Bean is going to Notional for 2010, and Wundelia is going to Yes Its True.
I thought Chuck hated Yes Its True? Your boxing up the foal in a week? Cactus is in KY? I thought NY?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I thought Chuck hated Yes Its True? Your boxing up the foal in a week? Cactus is in KY? I thought NY?
When we spoke about Yes Its True, I thought he orgasm'd. Complete outcross with Wundelia which he has had some success with, I saw two colts that Three Chimneys had on Day 5 of the sale that looked like stone cold runners. Looked like two year olds already in September of yearling year.

Depends on how they are doing but yes, ship them back to KY in 7-10 days.

Cactus Ridge is at Vinery Kentucky now, he matched really well with her.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
When we spoke about Yes Its True, I thought he orgasm'd. Complete outcross with Wundelia which he has had some success with, I saw two colts that Three Chimneys had on Day 5 of the sale that looked like stone cold runners. Looked like two year olds already in September of yearling year.

Depends on how they are doing but yes, ship them back to KY in 7-10 days.

Cactus Ridge is at Vinery Kentucky now, he matched really well with her.
3 Chimneys had runners? I am going to breed mine to Repent, they all seem to get to the races and sometimes they actually make money.

Outcrossing is that in vogue again?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:

If you have the time it is best to produce home breds. Good luck to all .
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
3 Chimneys had runners? I am going to breed mine to Repent, they all seem to get to the races and sometimes they actually make money.

Outcrossing is that in vogue again?
I just saw Repent moved to NY, you can get both the NY breeders/owners awards and race against NY breds. Very positive.

In Indiana, just for Appoint's wins, we get a 20% owners award on the total purse. If we were the breeders, look out, make more from owner and breeder award then winning the race. Indiana sired and you can make 30k in awards off a 30k total purse.

No, 3 Chim was pimpin them at the yearling sale, but they looked really really good. They were all good people over there, and there is the daughter of a trainer that works there that, holy smokes !

I don't know, but Yes Its True is a damn good stallion, so it should be interesting to see what he can produce with Wundelia as an IL bred. Not many Yes Its True caliber within the IL ranks unless you are Chris Block.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Santa Anita

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ay-in-congress

They're bringing back legislation to stop transport of horses to Canada and Mexico for slaughter again. From her remarks on this, I'm guessing Rep. Wallis (R) from Wyoming is also against the federal drug legislation efforts.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Churchill Downs

I think that there are certain animals we don’t eat in this country.(for whatever reason)

dogs
cats
parrots
slugs
rodents
Prairie dogs
etc...

I believe horses should be on that list.
It's safe to say that you’re not going to see those items at TGIF or Appleby's.

The hunters who eat their deer, turkeys, and whatever else they get pleasure in killing. Fine with me.

But when was the last time you heard of someone going out hunting horse for food? Even Ted Nugent doesn't do that!
I mean they are out there in the wild! Go shoot one if you’re that hungry and you desire the taste of horse meat.

To put them through a horrible death and eat them just because we don’t know what to do with them when they are not of any use to us anymore is just stupid. We should be defending them not killing them. There is nothing good about horse slaughter, period. (nobody's going to eat them anyway)

We don’t raise horses to eat. We never did as far as I know. In the 1700's and 1800's you do what you did to survive. I get that, but horses deserve the respect of us because they went to war with us and were used to help build this country. How many horses died in the civil war for us? How many horses died carrying wounded soldiers to hospitals for us? How many railroads were built using horses?

Give the horses a break. They are part of this nation’s heritage.

The horse racing industry can't save them all but they should try harder to save their own.

So donate to your local thoroughbred retirement organization and feel good.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by richard burch : 06-12-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Randwyck

^^^^

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Hollywood Park

Just donated to Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Retirement. My fav char.
http://fingerlakestap.org/

Last edited by richard : 06-12-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM
top predator.

I was given the number of a guy last week who buys horses here in central KY. They are kept here or sent to feedlots in TN. When they have enough for a load they are trucked to New Orleans and put on a boat. They take them 12 miles offshore, out of US water and slaughter then at sea. Process on the boat and return to shore where its shipped overseas or sold black market here. There will ALWAYS be a way around any legislation. What we need is a comprehensive euthanasia plan. In Puerto Ricotrainers can have an unwanted animal euthanized at the track for something like 15 bucks.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Washington Park

Very well said richard burch.

I think that there are certain animals we don’t eat in this country.

paisjpq you make a great point

In Puerto Rico trainers can have an unwanted animal euthanized at the track for something like 15 bucks.

WARNING - MY VENT

We must insist that we deal with our country's unwanted horses humanly. Not all can be saved but none of our horses should be slaughtered. As an American I get nauseous thinking about it. It's disgusting. I can't imagine what the people are like that slaughter horses for a living. Being brutally honest, I hope that those people go straight to hell one day.

We also need to get our arms around over breeding. That's part of the problem too. We produce way too many horses.

This is one hell of a topic and it turns my stomach to no end.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrat59 View Post
Very well said richard burch.

I think that there are certain animals we don’t eat in this country.

paisjpq you make a great point

In Puerto Rico trainers can have an unwanted animal euthanized at the track for something like 15 bucks.

WARNING - MY VENT

We must insist that we deal with our country's unwanted horses humanly. Not all can be saved but none of our horses should be slaughtered. As an American I get nauseous thinking about it. It's disgusting. I can't imagine what the people are like that slaughter horses for a living. Being brutally honest, I hope that those people go straight to hell one day.

We also need to get our arms around over breeding. That's part of the problem too. We produce way too many horses.

This is one hell of a topic and it turns my stomach to no end.
Pigs are a lot smarter then horses..Do cows being slaughter make you feel better?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Hawthorne

Piga and Cows are not companion animals, they are actually bred for their meat, horses are not. I understand not everyone wants to keep a horse till it dies of natural causes, but than have the balls or guts to euthanize that animal that served you for your pleasure, instead of capitalizing on their grisly death. I have a 22 year old rotten, mean as hell gelding, he's unsound, but I brought him into this world, he won numerous awards and ribbons for me and therefore has earned the right to be taken care of for the remainder of his life, he will be euthanized humanely when his time comes, if I can afford to do this, than people 100,000 times richer than me can, it's just a question of morals and how you truly view your horses.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
I have a 22 year old rotten, mean as hell gelding, he's unsound, but I brought him into this world, he won numerous awards and ribbons for me and therefore has earned the right to be taken care of for the remainder of his life, he will be euthanized humanely when his time comes, if I can afford to do this, than people 100,000 times richer than me can, it's just a question of morals and how you truly view your horses.
As the owner of a soon-to-be 31-year old horse (of whom I've cared for the past 26 years), I wanted to say how much I appreciate and agree with this.