Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Same here. I fully expected to see the Black Cocker win, but was pulling for (what I thought was the) unlikely Scottish Deerhound. I can't remember the last time that the dog I was hoping to see win BIS actually did win it. Nice comments by the judge afterward.

Regarding the Black Cocker, was it just me or did the handler never seem quite prepared to move her dog when asked?
It does take longer for certain breeds to get ready to move because the handler removes the collar and leash as they are standing for examination and then has to put it back on to get ready to move. Did you notice how long it took for the Skye Terrier handler to move the dog because he was brushing all the mussed hair back into place?

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Jerome Park

I always laugh because they all shake when they get off the table and mess up their "do"

I am sure it irritates the handlers of the long haired one to no end.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

It was good to see a real dog win and not the freaking Pekingese. That's not even a dog, it's some kind of overgrown cat/rat hybrid.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Randwyck

HOUND GROUP PLACEMENTS
Scottish Deerhound who went on to Best in Show
Beagle 15"
Norwegian Elkhound
PBGV

TOY GROUP PLACEMENTS
Pekingese
Affenpinscher
Pug
Papillon

NON SPORTING GROUP PLACEMENTS
Chinese Shar-Pei
Bichon Frises
Lhasa Apso
Keeshond

HERDING GROUP PLACEMENTS
Bearded Collie
Belgian Tervuren
Border Collie
Pembroke Welsh Corgi

SPORTING GROUP PLACEMENTS
Cocker Spaniel - Black
Irish Setter
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
Irish Water Spaniel

WORKING GROUP PLACEMENTS
Portuguese Water Spaniel
Boxer
Kuvasz
Samoyed

TERRIER GROUP PLACEMENTS
Smooth Fox Terrier
Norfolk Terrier
Skye Terrier
West Highland White Terrier

You can read more about these dogs and see pictures of them here -

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...oup/index.html

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
The Curragh

The Dobe got robbed, not even included in the group's 4? I don't care how fat the handler was, that was nonsense. Dog was perfect.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
The Dobe got robbed, not even included in the group's 4? I don't care how fat the handler was, that was nonsense. Dog was perfect.
I tend to agree with you as to the static balance of the Dobe, but movement counts a lot especially for a breed like Dobes. When I saw how she moved the dog, I figured she was sunk. The breed rings are teeny tiny at Westminster, and they don't get to move the dogs well there. But the group ring is huge and a handler has to take full advantage - not mincing around the ring expecting the dog to look its best. Gaiting shouldn't be about how fast one can run - just gaiting the dog fast enough to show its reach and drive capability and the strength of the topline. The lady handler on the Dobe was not able to do that. But, maybe, just maybe, the judge didn't like the dog for other reasons.

Some other info which some of you might find interesting.

Popularity list of breeds according to AKC registrations -

http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm

Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
I tend to agree with you as to the static balance of the Dobe, but movement counts a lot especially for a breed like Dobes. When I saw how she moved the dog, I figured she was sunk. The breed rings are teeny tiny at Westminster, and they don't get to move the dogs well there. But the group ring is huge and a handler has to take full advantage - not mincing around the ring expecting the dog to look its best. Gaiting shouldn't be about how fast one can run - just gaiting the dog fast enough to show its reach and drive capability and the strength of the topline. The lady handler on the Dobe was not able to do that. But, maybe, just maybe, the judge didn't like the dog for other reasons.

Some other info which some of you might find interesting.

Popularity list of breeds according to AKC registrations -

http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm
Nice to see Dobes are getting more popular, great dogs. We actually got ours from a shelter here and despite being fixed and having his ears and tail I have been told by breeders that he "could've really been something" we think he is anyway.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Nice to see Dobes are getting more popular, great dogs. We actually got ours from a shelter here and despite being fixed and having his ears and tail I have been told by breeders that he "could've really been something" we think he is anyway.
Dobermans have a LOT of health problem - biggest one is heart problems. Lots of young dogs dying in this breed. The more popular a dog becomes, the more breeding is done to meet the demand. Lots of room there for a decrease in discriminate breeding and just breeding anything to anything to producer a litter of puppies to sell.

Dobes are a wonderful breed. I hope yours lives a long and healthy life. But anyone in the market to buy one should do a lot of shopping around making certain that the breeder diligently screens for health defects.

This is just basic practice when shopping for any breed. Stay away from pet shops. If you want a specific breed and don't necessary want a puppy, check out rescue dogs for that breed at the parent club's web-site. If you're not in the market for a specific breed, visit your local shelter. It's a tough thing to do, however. My husband and I volunteered at a local shelter, and I came home every night in tears knowing full well that half of those dogs would never find a home.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Coach Pants

Oh shut up.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Oh shut up.
Make me!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Make me!
My wife volunteers for a no kill shelter, that can be sad.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Dobermans have a LOT of health problem - biggest one is heart problems. Lots of young dogs dying in this breed. The more popular a dog becomes, the more breeding is done to meet the demand. Lots of room there for a decrease in discriminate breeding and just breeding anything to anything to producer a litter of puppies to sell.

Dobes are a wonderful breed. I hope yours lives a long and healthy life. But anyone in the market to buy one should do a lot of shopping around making certain that the breeder diligently screens for health defects.

This is just basic practice when shopping for any breed. Stay away from pet shops. If you want a specific breed and don't necessary want a puppy, check out rescue dogs for that breed at the parent club's web-site. If you're not in the market for a specific breed, visit your local shelter. It's a tough thing to do, however. My husband and I volunteered at a local shelter, and I came home every night in tears knowing full well that half of those dogs would never find a home.
I had some Dalmatians from a rescue shelter years ago. One had to be put asleep because of a stomach issue and it was also deaf. Another one had three legs and had to put asleep because of a stroke and seizure issues. Im thinking he had a seizure that may of lead to a stroke. Now I have a dog that im thinking is a Staffordshire Terrier but the vet where I got it from says it was a pit.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM

soooo glad a little carpet cra pper didn't win
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Same here. I fully expected to see the Black Cocker win, but was pulling for (what I thought was the) unlikely Scottish Deerhound. I can't remember the last time that the dog I was hoping to see win BIS actually did win it. Nice comments by the judge afterward.

Regarding the Black Cocker, was it just me or did the handler never seem quite prepared to move her dog when asked?
i always when the handler pulls out the damn brush to fix the dogs hair before moving the dog. gimme a break. get your mutt and get out of the way!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Fairgrounds

Help me out here Vet says Pit im thinking he has some terrier in him:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bandit & Intimidator.jpg (16.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966 View Post
the pic is worsae than mine

umm. looks like a small pit eating kitty
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut View Post
the pic is worsae than mine

umm. looks like a small pit eating kitty
They both actually get along great.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966 View Post
Pretty good explanation of what a Pit is -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:

Good advice.
Dobes are so short lived that the DPCA gives a Longevity Certification for a Doberman that lives 10 years.

Quote:
Why is 10 years old the eligible age?

The program founders did an informal and unscientific survey on age and cause of death in Dobermans. Though it wasn't scientific, they got 850 responses and those responses showed that the average age at death for our breed was about 9 for males and 9 1/2 for females. So 10 years old was chosen for the program's marker.
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns. " ~ Tom Waits