Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I find that amazing that there is such a market for them overseas.
Makes you think, why even play for 100k during the summer and jepordize your 7 digit paydays in the winter.
For da love of the game
Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
For da love of the game
Exactly...A W championship means much more to them than one in Russia or Spain.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper View Post
Prior to the '08-'09 season, UConn signed the #1 HS player in the country, a 6'5 guard named Elena Della Donne. She is probably the greatest pure shooter in the history of the women's game. She attended a pre-season two week get together in June when the team held voluntary uncoached scrimmages and practices. She packed her bags and went home to Delaware after two days. She knew at the time she would be unable to give the intensity needed to play at UConn. In August, she officially left UConn and enrolled at Delaware. She is now playing there in obscurity with little chance of ever making it to the NCAA tournament, and if she does it will be as a 13 to 16 seed. We certainly haven't missed her.
I saw something about her on ESPN. Didn't she leave because she was essentially burnt out and didn't return to basketball for 2 years?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I saw something about her on ESPN. Didn't she leave because she was essentially burnt out and didn't return to basketball for 2 years?
Yes. Her family is filthy rich and she had been pushed by her "stage dad" father. She had a personal trainer at age 8. T%he one thing that she never was taught is work ethic. She relies totally on her shooting ability and ball handling skills. As a freshman at Delaware, she played volleyball. She is now a redshirt soph for basketball.

I went to see her at Yale a month ago. She rarely runs, and never all out. She trots. She does not rebound much despite being the tallest player on the team. She scored 40 against Yale but was gassed at every time out. She saw the writing on the wall when she visited UConn. She was unwilling to put in the necessary work to play at UConn's level. She would have spent her career in Geno's doghouse

She prefers being the big fish in the little pond
Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yes. Her family is filthy rich and she had been pushed by her "stage dad" father. She had a personal trainer at age 8. T%he one thing that she never was taught is work ethic. She relies totally on her shooting ability and ball handling skills. As a freshman at Delaware, she played volleyball. She is now a redshirt soph for basketball.

I went to see her at Yale a month ago. She rarely runs, and never all out. She trots. She does not rebound much despite being the tallest player on the team. She scored 40 against Yale but was gassed at every time out. She saw the writing on the wall when she visited UConn. She was unwilling to put in the necessary work to play at UConn's level. She would have spent her career in Geno's doghouse
I guess my point was not playing for more than 2 years sort of implies she really was burnt out and not just not wanting to put in the necessary work. Not the first time we've seen a parent ruin a sport for their child.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Santa Anita

I came across this...was this just a family excuse for the situation??

It turns out, though, that Delle Donne’s biggest reason for returning to Delaware emerged: She really missed her sister Lizzie. Lizzie was born blind, deaf and with cerebral palsy, and she and Elena have a tremendous bond.

For me, that would be a tough situation to deal with, being as physically gifted as she is and having to witness the complete opposite in her sister every day of her life. I'd feel some guilt. This thread is the first time I have ever heard of this Delle Donne girl.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Let's be honest, they stayed in school for all four years because there is no money to be made in the WNBA. If the WNBA pay scale was 1/3rd of what the NBA is, I would think that there would be very little chance that many of these girls would be there for all 4 years.

I understand what you are saying, but you are obviously vested/genuinely interested in the program as you attended college and from the sounds of it live in the area/state.

As a sports fan from a nearby state, I could honestly say I just don't find women's basketball interesting. They could win 1000 in a row and while I acknowledge that it's an accomplishment, I honestly couldn't care less. I just don't find the sport interesting.

I do enjoy certain womans sports, just basketball isn't one of them.
Women's Beach Volleyball has a tendency to capture my attention.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Jerome Park

I actually think the two streaks are extremely comparable. I wonder what the lines were in the VAST majority of UCLA's games. I bet the competitive level was shockingly similar. Division I men's hoop was a LOT different back then and UCLA was absolutely stacked. No doubt UConn has a similar competitive advantage, though many women's programs have gotten much stronger since Diana and Sue were playing there.

It's an amazing achievement and I bet Bill Walton would agree with me.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
I came across this...was this just a family excuse for the situation??
It turns out, though, that Delle Donne’s biggest reason for returning to Delaware emerged: She really missed her sister Lizzie. Lizzie was born blind, deaf and with cerebral palsy, and she and Elena have a tremendous bond.

For me, that would be a tough situation to deal with, being as physically gifted as she is and having to witness the complete opposite in her sister every day of her life. I'd feel some guilt. This thread is the first time I have ever heard of this Delle Donne girl.
Not an excuse at all. During the reruiting process, UConn, Villanova , and Tennessee were the frontrunners. I always thought she would go to Villanova for a nuimber of reasons. It was 30 miles from home. They run a Princeton style offense which is basically slow down basketball that depends heavily on three point shots.....perfect for her

By chosing UConn which I am sure was Daddy Dearest's choice she put herself in a position due to a special Big East rule to never be able to play the sport she signed a letter of intent for at any other Big East school.

This is all a smoke sdcreen....of course I have a biased opinion
http://www.usatoday.com/video/index....nt/51404007001
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Not an excuse at all. During the reruiting process, UConn, Villanova , and Tennessee were the frontrunners. I always thought she would go to Villanova for a nuimber of reasons. It was 30 miles from home. They run a Princeton style offense which is basically slow down basketball that depends heavily on three point shots.....perfect for her

By chosing UConn which I am sure was Daddy Dearest's choice she put herself in a position due to a special Big East rule to never be able to play the sport she signed a letter of intent for at any other Big East school.

This is all a smoke sdcreen....of course I have a biased opinion
http://www.usatoday.com/video/index....nt/51404007001

Biased--maybe.

Stupid--of course.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Coach Pants

STOP IT!!

Well I heard from a buddy of mine that her dad was very fond of Geno...if you know what I am saying. *nudge nudge*

I R INSIDER
Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Saratoga

!!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Flemington

Just saw this and it made me think of this thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=5952813
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
This is simply not true, at least not this year. Maya was the #1 highschooler in the country as a junior and senior. Of the rest of the roster, none were ranked higher than #10. Other programs (Tennessee, Duke, UNC) are more "stacked" according to HS rankings. Tennessee presently has a roster of at least 6 players that were ranked in the top 10 in HS. Why haven't they even been able to reach the Elite 8 the last two years? Coaching.

Geno goes after players that will fit into his system....essentially a team of unselfish role players....players who were stars in high school, but buy into his team concept.

Prior to the '08-'09 season, UConn signed the #1 HS player in the country, a 6'5 guard named Elena Della Donne. She is probably the greatest pure shooter in the history of the women's game. She attended a pre-season two week get together in June when the team held voluntary uncoached scrimmages and practices. She packed her bags and went home to Delaware after two days. She knew at the time she would be unable to give the intensity needed to play at UConn. In August, she officially left UConn and enrolled at Delaware. She is now playing there in obscurity with little chance of ever making it to the NCAA tournament, and if she does it will be as a 13 to 16 seed. We certainly haven't missed her.
I have to admit that I don't watch but I find it shockingly hard to believe that the highest profile school in the country with a 90 game win streak that regularly beats teams by 30+ points doesnt have a huge talent disparity when compared to the other "top" teams.

http://www.wnba.com/features/confere...9_bigeast.html

When looking at the 24 WNBA players from the BIG EAST, the 12 players from the University of Connecticut jump off the page. We could have easily created an All-UConn squad that probably could have competed with some other conference squads.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I actually think the two streaks are extremely comparable. I wonder what the lines were in the VAST majority of UCLA's games. I bet the competitive level was shockingly similar. Division I men's hoop was a LOT different back then and UCLA was absolutely stacked. No doubt UConn has a similar competitive advantage, though many women's programs have gotten much stronger since Diana and Sue were playing there.

In the history of the NCAA womans tourney, Uconn and Tenn have won more championships than every other team combined, 15-14. The talent pool is simply not that deep and the teams getting the premier players (currently Uconn and formerly Tenn) win 50% of the championships. The difference in the little womans basketball that I watch seems to be the bottom teams have practically no chance to ever beat a top team.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
In the history of the NCAA womans tourney, Uconn and Tenn have won more championships than every other team combined, 15-14. The talent pool is simply not that deep and the teams getting the premier players (currently Uconn and formerly Tenn) win 50% of the championships. The difference in the little womans basketball that I watch seems to be the bottom teams have practically no chance to ever beat a top team.
Over a period of 10 or so years, how many championships did UCLA win?

I'm not saying it is the SAME....just that it is MORE comparable than many people realize. I doubt you find that an outrageous claim.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Flemington

Quote:

oooooohhh, Bill Walton

Old 12-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Does UConn get top recruits? Definitely, but other schools, Duke and Tennessee specifically, get players who rated just as highly coming out of high school. What makes UConn different? They have a great, great coach who knows which players to recruit to fit his system and he knows how to develope them once they get to his program.

In '99, UConn had their first great recruiting class. BTW's girl Sue Bird was rated #10 in that class. She was recruited as a shooting guard but when the point guard went down before her college career began, Sue took over the reins. She ended her college career as a three time Lieberman Award winner (Best point guard) and the 2002 player of the year. She became the #1 pick in the W draft and is presently considered the best point guard in the world.

OTOH, in '08 Tennessee signed the #2 player coming out of high school (same year as Maya Moore). In '09 they had one of the best classes of all time with 6 players ranked in the top 20. In the last two seasons, they have won two NCAA tourney games. Last year, Baylor as a #4 seed beat #1 Tennessee and #2 Duke in their region, making it to the final four. Why? They have a great coach in Kim Mulkey who is second only to Geno.

Cannon, there is much more parity in the women's game now than there was ten years ago. UConn and Baylor just happen to stand alone this year just as UConn and Stanford did last year. This year unranked DePaul beat #3 at the time Stanford by 20. Unranked Syracuse beat #6 at the time Ohio State by 10. #20 Georgetown beat #5 Tennessee by 11. #14 at the time Florida State lost to Ivy cellar dweller Yale.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Over a period of 10 or so years, how many championships did UCLA win?

I'm not saying it is the SAME....just that it is MORE comparable than many people realize. I doubt you find that an outrageous claim.
I guess all winning streaks are comparable to some degree.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Does UConn get top recruits? Definitely, but other schools, Duke and Tennessee specifically, get players who rated just as highly coming out of high school. What makes UConn different? They have a great, great coach who knows which players to recruit to fit his system and he knows how to develope them once they get to his program.

In '99, UConn had their first great recruiting class. BTW's girl Sue Bird was rated #10 in that class. She was recruited as a shooting guard but when the point guard went down before her college career began, Sue took over the reins. She ended her college career as a three time Lieberman Award winner (Best point guard) and the 2002 player of the year. She became the #1 pick in the W draft and is presently considered the best point guard in the world.

OTOH, in '08 Tennessee signed the #2 player coming out of high school (same year as Maya Moore). In '09 they had one of the best classes of all time with 6 players ranked in the top 20. In the last two seasons, they have won two NCAA tourney games. Last year, Baylor as a #4 seed beat #1 Tennessee and #2 Duke in their region, making it to the final four. Why? They have a great coach in Kim Mulkey who is second only to Geno.

Cannon, there is much more parity in the women's game now than there was ten years ago. UConn and Baylor just happen to stand alone this year just as UConn and Stanford did last year. This year unranked DePaul beat #3 at the time Stanford by 20. Unranked Syracuse beat #6 at the time Ohio State by 10. #20 Georgetown beat #5 Tennessee by 11. #14 at the time Florida State lost to Ivy cellar dweller Yale.
My question to you is how accurate are the rankings for womans basketball, especially in regard to high school player? The mens rnkings can be pretty skewed and there is probably 1000 times more coverage/attention paid to that. Hell in football every year we hear how great of a class Notre Dame gets then once they actually hit the field we hear how slow they are or how the SEC schools get all the talent.