Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
not sure who the top group would be right now.
but the oaklawn to kentucky trail works rather well -i think due to the two surfaces being very much alike. it's got to be a benefit to the horses to have some continuity in that regard.
Sierra Sunset is from Cali. He couldn't do anything against those horses out there.

However, it does look like he is getting better, and the Oaklawn route is usually my favorite. I like the spacing of the races, and I just like Oaklawn. Plus, it didn't hurt that Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, and Curlin went through that way. It has been my favorite route to the derby.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
he immediately comes to mind for me when a heavy favorite fails to live up to expectations...

on a related(oaklawn) note, sierra sunset flattered himself, as well as denis of cork, with a win today in hot springs.
King's Silver Son is one I'm going to be watching closely next out.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Sierra Sunset is from Cali. He couldn't do anything against those horses out there.

However, it does look like he is getting better, and the Oaklawn route is usually my favorite. I like the spacing of the races, and I just like Oaklawn. Plus, it didn't hurt that Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, and Curlin went through that way. It has been my favorite route to the derby.
umm. . . poly
Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
umm. . . poly
that's right. may not be the horses out there, but the surface. it's not dirt, people need to quit treating it as such-results on one track won't necessarily translate to other surfaces.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
that's right. may not be the horses out there, but the surface. it's not dirt, people need to quit treating it as such-results on one track won't necessarily translate to other surfaces.
Sierra Sunset isn't that good of a horse IMO. Z Fortune didn't run his race, and Golden Yank was coming off a layoff. I don't think Sierra Sunset's improvement has much to do with the change in the surface because I think he has improved just a little bit so far. I think that it looks like he has improved more than he actually has because he is running against horses of much lesser quality.

Nothing from this race will do anything in the Derby except for maybe one because of his closing run IMO. I'll listen to Coach Pants on this one.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew
Again, toss the race.
That's fine...

The problem than becomes....what about his return race?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
King's Silver Son is one I'm going to be watching closely next out.
I made a decent little score today by backwheeling King's Silver Son in 2nd in the exacta with Sierra Sunset and Z Fortune (the only two who looked like they could possibly win)

Personally, I felt that King's Silver Son was only the 7th or 8th best horse on paper going into that race - but that he would get a dream setup - and that he was 100% likely to fire.

In my opinion, today was the day for KSS - it was the day for a once in a lifetime trip and setup - with all the stars lined up for him. I would avoid him in a big way next time out....he's just not very good and he will never have a more favorable setup than he had today.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I made a decent little score today by backwheeling King's Silver Son in 2nd in the exacta with Sierra Sunset and Z Fortune (the only two who looked like they could possibly win)

Personally, I felt that King's Silver Son was only the 7th or 8th best horse on paper going into that race - but that he would get a dream setup - and that he was 100% likely to fire.

In my opinion, today was the day for KSS - it was the day for a once in a lifetime trip and setup - with all the stars lined up for him. I would avoid him in a big way next time out....he's just not very good and he will never have a more favorable setup than he had today.
He will have the same trip in the Arkansas Derby if he goes and a half panel to boot.

There aren't exactly any world beaters in the southwest this year and this one is thought highly of by the assman.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Goodwood

"He's had some fever this week, and we thought he'd be OK, but obviously it wasn't his day," LaPenta revealed. "Hopefully, he's OK. Nick is with him now, and we'll find out a little more later."
Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
He will have the same trip in the Arkansas Derby if he goes and a half panel to boot.

There aren't exactly any world beaters in the southwest this year and this one is thought highly of by the assman.
do you know this because of your Mexican heritage?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
do you know this because of your Mexican heritage?
Yes. It's ezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Flemington

Quote:
He won't - because there is no way in the world that Sacred Journey will be back to run off early and set the kind of supersonic strong pace that he needs to set up his plodding run.

Unless another horse shows up and tries to pull a Silence Suzuka - I think he will revert to his old very, very, very slow figure self.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
its a travishamockery..gpk the voice of reason..war pass is a broken down rat...thats what we should say after tossing a clunker..i think not....pyro has two ..his last two were not that good.........
Pretty sure Pyro won his last two and didn't run last at 1/9.

I'm not saying we should write War Pass off as a rat, but jeez, he didn't break well, he didn't like the track, he was sick, he didn't like rating, the sun was in his eyes.. It ain't like he didn't run a step. He looked to be in great position to win, then hit the brakes..
Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Oriental Park

Great position for a horse whos a confirmed front runner is on the lead. At no point in time during the TBD was War Pass in great position for his running style.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
How can you tell on TV?
I could tell in the Belmont a few years ago that War Emblem was having a panic attack on the backstretch because he was behind horses. For those of you who don't recall, WE was free-running sort who wanted to run on the front-end and went to his knees at the start. Rider chose not to gun him up to the lead (suicide in most races, and this was 12f), but the horse could not mentally handle not being on the lead.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
I could tell in the Belmont a few years ago that War Emblem was having a panic attack on the backstretch because he was behind horses. For those of you who don't recall, WE was free-running sort who wanted to run on the front-end and went to his knees at the start. Rider chose not to gun him up to the lead (suicide in most races, and this was 12f), but the horse could not mentally handle not being on the lead.
I was kidding.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I was kidding.
Ah, the problem of trying to digest a 7-page topic in one gulp -subtlety in lost.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Thank you for this. People have very short, selective memories. I realize it's Derby time, so sanity is thrown away, but this thread really take sthe cake. I'll admit, I'm just a dumb gambler, but to me it looked like he wasn't comfortable. Whether he is sick, hated rating, hated the track, Stevie Wonder could see that the real War Pass did not show up today.

Obviously going into this season, the big question was War Pass negotiating 10 furlongs. That question remains and after today, who knows if it will ever be answered. But I think we can all agree War pass has a lot of quality to him. Is he unbeatable, of course not and no one ever said he was. I just wonder if back in '94 people were talking about Holy Bull in this light after the Fountain of Youth. I'm not comparing the 2, but this is a pretty similar to what happened that day and if memory serves me right, he vindicated himself a few weeks later.
Great point Hoss. I was away all weekend, but had a chance to see the race. And even though it's easy to say now, I also agree that the horse just did not feel comfortable. Anyone who gives up on this horse now, really doesn't know and understand horse racing.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Ah, the problem of trying to digest a 7-page topic in one gulp -subtlety in lost.
War Emblem's Belmont was sad. I was young, 16, and I really didn't understand racing much back them. When he hit the top of the stretch in front, I thought that he might have a chance.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
War Emblem's Belmont was sad. I was young, 16, and I really didn't understand racing much back them
6 years makes all the difference. I thought I knew it all too back in 85.