Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Oaklawn

not sure of the 20 miles comment, which areas are you speaking of? That certainly is not the common place in the area.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Suffolk Downs

Interestingly, last year, Maker's Mark Mile Day was worse than Bluegrass Day. Bluegrass Day was not bad at all.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:00 AM
top predator.

i'll be there for the lexington if anyone wants to play.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I know central Kentucky well, major highways, AND back roads, as well. I've lived there, and I've had a vacation home there for some time.

I live here, and while you could find parts that fit that description it is FAR from the norm. Eastern Ky is what you are talking about.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Coach Pants

Yeah the surrounding area of lexington makes New Orleans look like paradise.

Omg I have no earthly idea what i'm talking about. I've got a drinkin' problem!! Teddy get me another bloody mary!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
... For us, the confused who love something that everyone else seems to have forgotten, this is a place where we belong. Anybody that spends a lot of their time at the NY tracks knows the sad feeling on closing day at Saratoga, the last day for 10 1/2 months when we aren't outcasts, understands exactly what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean....
the old horseplayer says to St Peter after being shown around the grounds up in heaven..."yep it's pretty nice but it ain't Saratoga"
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Oaklawn

good, I am glad you are moving off of it cause you were off base. While I agree with your comment, I disagree with the location. That is correct for KY but far from the truth in Lexington/Fayette.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
I'll note something that enters into, and plays, a large part in why Keeneland conducts such a successful race meet twice a year, and this is certainly not meant to the affront of Kentuckians.

Keeneland does not have to vie for fans as does New York racing, or SoCal racing.

NYers and residents of SoCal have so many sports, thousands of fans of each sport wherein--once again, a matter of horseracing competing for the fan base, for those new to the sport, and for those that have followed for years who remain involved.

Lexington is tiny comparatively. And Kentucky as a whole does not have the sports franchises of larger metropolitan areas.

This, along with the fact that central Kentucky is still known as the hub of this sport, it stands to reason--those at Keenelad will find an ultimate horseracing venue and experience.

Its a lovely and fun place to be.

One can see a countryside that will take your breathe away, and one can also ride 20 miles out of Lexington in either direction and see the poorest of the poor living in shacks with washing machines on the front porch. That grass may well be blue, but its certainly not always greener. Many of those folks have never set foot on Keeneland property.

It's probably like that for most tracks...ever drive 20 miles from the SPA...Some places ain't so pretty either!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
This was not meant as an offense. It is apparent though, and it is relative because not the majority of the citizens of this region are blueblood, far, far, from it.

Pick your road, east, south.....even north. My point being sir, that there's not anywhere in the Midwest that one can find a greater disparity of economic level-- dba/extreme wealth vs. adject poverty than in the state of Kentucky, particularly Central Kentucky. And this includes Fayette, Bourbon, Clark, and Scott counties, though not as much so in Woodford.

Now, as I said, I don't mean to irritate anyone, but one more readily notices that which is grand than they do, that which may be a blight on one's landscape.

This is life, real life.

Done on this one.
These are real numbers, not made up stuff that you're spouting just to delude everyone into thinking you're right...

State of Kentucky...Its per-capita personal income was US$28,513, 43rd in the nation

Bourbon County... Males had a median income of $30,989 versus $23,467 for females.

Fayette County...Males had a median income of $36,166 versus $26,964 for females

Clark County... Males had a median income of $35,774 versus $24,298 for females

Scott County... Males had a median income of $40,604 versus $25,767 for females

With your mentality the rest of the state must be like living in Darfur!! Oh the humanity!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Oaklawn

Scott County is inflated due to the Toyota plant
Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Keeneland

Damn,

All we need now is good ole Coach on here talking about the white trash of Ocala and lack of good horses bred in Florida. LMAO

I've only been to Lexington a couple of times (and never to Keeneland), but from what I remember, there was also a lot of poverty in the surrounding areas.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
In an effort to not cast light that would offend further I'm going to remove posts that I've added in this page of the thread.

Root, I really did not mean to upset you, not at all. This is simply something I have seen.

And Pillow Pants, I've been pleasant to you, I've done nothing to you. You are small, so get off my @$$, as I'm getting real bored with your "I can't stand you!" Keep it to yourself, ignore me, and I'll do the same.

In short, leave me the @#$% alone.
The troll has been revealed.

Done with this. <---lol
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
[/b]

It's probably like that for most tracks...ever drive 20 miles from the SPA...Some places ain't so pretty either!!!

Where???? (I'll give ya Troy & Schenectady but where else??)
Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Louisiana Downs

Default Get out da city!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
How about the outlying hills of Fulton, Montgomery, Warren, etc. counties?
There is a trailer outside of Johnstown that use to hide behind an old rusty schoolbus and some other scrap metal(cars, lawnmowers, wash machines, etc.) piled in front of it and a roof covered by a tarp. This isn't a junkyard, it is a home!!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Troy is a pretty cool little city IMO.. On the upswing too with the Tech Valley stuff going on. Have looked at buying a townhouse kind of building cheap downtown several times the last couple of years and rehabbing it.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
In an effort to not cast light that would offend further I'm going to remove posts that I've added in this page of the thread.

Root, I really did not mean to upset you, not at all. This is simply something I have seen.

And Pillow Pants, I've been pleasant to you, I've done nothing to you. You are small, so get off my @$$, as I'm getting real bored with your "I can't stand you!" Keep it to yourself, ignore me, and I'll do the same.

In short, leave me the @#$% alone.
No hard feelings here, I just didnt agree with your comment. I dont think we were rude. You made a general comment that I didnt agree with, as I live here I felt strongly enough to call you on it. Without a doubt there are areas of poverty, as with every city but Fayette is rather wealthy in general. Although, the class gaps are very large in all of KY - I agree with that.

The topic was Keeneland, and the area in general. It is very nice. Thats all I have to say.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
The Curragh

Steve, I agree...Troy is improving....
And now that i think about it I also have to agree with estreetposse that parts of Fulton County have some poverty issues...

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Troy is a pretty cool little city IMO.. On the upswing too with the Tech Valley stuff going on. Have looked at buying a townhouse kind of building cheap downtown several times the last couple of years and rehabbing it.
Then you can rent it out to a nice, friendly group of Sage Girls!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
And now that i think about it I also have to agree with estreetposse that parts of Fulton County have some poverty issues...
Lower Adirondacks & Mohawk Valley:
It is sad, a beautiful area with such great links to history of our country and it just seems to be getting worse, AND THE WINTERS SUCK TOO!!!

Sorry to take away from your K-Land thread. No mas para mi.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Poverty in the Mohawk Valley???

As Jack Nickelson "The Joker" in Batman said; "This town (area) need a ennma!"

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/